2009 Toyota Corolla miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Toyota Corolla:

2009 Toyota Corolla Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Jul 052016

Corolla

I had no problems with my vehicle after driving it for about 110K miles to the work and leisure, but it suddenly started "jerking" I took it to a transmission shop where no results came back after connecting it to a diagnosis computer. The jerking problem increased, and the transmission solenoids were replaced as well as an oil change was done. Problem was not fixed. I've been doing some research, and seems the transmission for this specific car model has been failing. Very expensive fix, and I guess to replace to another "faulty" transmission for this model of vehicle.

- Deming, NM, USA

May 072016

Corolla

I was in the parking lot trying to turn around when my car accelerators and crashes into mi rancho restaurant in silver spring, Maryland. This is the second incident with this type of issue. The first time was December 4, 2011 in giant parking lot as I was parking it accelerated and hit the pole. Please there is a issue with this car and it is very unsafe because I have two granddaughter who could have be in the car with me at the time of this accident.

- Gaithersburg, MD, USA

Mar 302016

Corolla

My 2009 Corolla experienced issues identical to a prior recall circa 2010 for '05-'08 Corolla & matrix models regarding engine control modules (ECM) that may have been improperly manufactured. On 3/30/16, the check engine light turned on and my vehicle experienced harsh shifting and struggled for gas. Vehicle was in motion with over a 1/4 tank of gas on a residential street at the time. On 3/31/16, I had the vehicle towed to my local Toyota dealership. Diagnostics were run and ECM fault codes were identified. Service associates working on my Corolla addressed their concerns and were repeatedly denied requests for a replacement ECM. At one point, I was advised by Toyota dealership staff to personally order an ECM unit through the parts dept., insisting that the request coming directly from a customer would not be denied. I attempted to place an order with parts, and that request later was denied. After several re-tests and denied requests for a replacement ECM, my vehicle received a replacement tail light bulb (what I refer to as a "band-aid" fix) and was released back to me on 4/5/16. The very next morning (4/6/16), check engine light came back on and vehicle was brought in. Once again, codes tied to the ECM were identified. After another week of tests, denied ECM fix requests, and another band-aid repair, the vehicle was released back to me on 4/14/16. During this two-week ordeal, I incurred over $540 in rental car expenses and $186 in "band-aid" repairs, despite the fact that ECM issues were identified from the beginning. I have opened 2 cases with Toyota customer experience center to address this ECM issue with my 2009 Corolla, the prior 2010 recall, and have requested that my VIN be incorporated into the recall. So far, Toyota has denied any responsibility, insisting that their ecms don't fail, offering no assistance for issues they deem off-warranty/off-recall.

- Mission Viejo, CA, USA

Feb 192016

Corolla

Vehicle was in motion when the driver's side door started smoking and eventually burst into flames. Fire rescue was called but we managed to put out the fire with water before they arrived. This happened on 2/19/16 and to date Toyota is yet to send someone to look at the vehicle. I am at my wits end with Toyota.

- Fort Lauderdale, FL, USA

Feb 222016

Corolla

Car was taken in for oil change at mileage due and Toyota dealership stated oil dipstick was totally dry and to check it at halfway mark of miles. Car is not due yet for oil change until about 95,000 miles and at halfway mark oil was already down to last mark on dipstick. Car was taken to Toyota and they stated 2009 Corolla was not part of limited service campaign of other vehicles exhibiting same problems as my car. Dealer said to just add oil in between changes and I explained that car should not be consuming oil at this stage and they agreed but stated I would have to cover repairs which might cost between $2,000-3,000 because of car not being part of campaign with other makes which were also having same problem with excessive oil consumption at around same mileage. I started oil consumption test so that it would be on record. If other owners are having same problem, 2009 Toyota Corolla should be included in limited service campaign of excessive oil consumption as it was included for most of the other recalls and campaigns. I have looked online and seen many others with same make model and year with same complaints and dealer does nothing to fix problem.

- Allentown, PA, USA

Feb 222016

- Allentown, PA, USA

Jan 142015

Corolla

2 recalls that I have received through the mail. Im afraid driving on the freeway as they mention that when the light show on airbags 6 sections we can get into an accident due to airbags bursting out.

- Gardena, CA, USA

Dec 172015

Corolla

Started engine, then while idling a loud squealing noise appearing to sound from the power steering, upon close observation notice coolant fluid all over the serpentine belts and the alternator. The battery would die and water residual all over the place all indication points to a busted water pump from the mechanics. The car only got 70,000 miles. Have 5 months left on car loan and no money for repairs and don't know if engine still works.

- South Ozone Park, NY, USA

Nov 062015

Corolla

I took my Corolla to the 75K miles services, but at the 76K when I was driving the engine start making noise. I opened the hood and I was surprised to see that the water cooler tank was almost empty. I took my car again totoyota service center and they said that the cooler pump is leaking so I have to change it and the repair will cost around $500. My 09 Toyota Corolla's water pump is busted and I thought all along that Corolla are supposed to be the best?.this really annoying issue, with only 75,000 miles on the car the water pump shouldn't be all ready worn out !.

- Mountain View, CA, USA

Aug 142015

Corolla

Driver's side mirror plastic holding snapped that keeps mirror in the open/ closed position. Due to the plastic holding being snapped, the mirror wobbles and does not stay in the open position. It makes driving very dangerous with the lack of a mirror to turn and merge safely. As speeds increase, the force of the wind will force the mirror into the closed position making the mirror useless.

- Waipahu, HI, USA

Aug 072015

Corolla

Driver's door lock does not lock/unlock when pressing the lock/unlock button on the key fob and pressing the lock/unlock button on the driver's door and passengers door.

- Waipahu, HI, USA

May 072015

Corolla

I was driving and was close to my destination when I hear something go wrong. I park at my destination and I see a pool of what I think was coolant on the ground. It also felt like it was overheating so I did not want to risk the car blowing up so I had it towed. The problem was that the water pump ceased which caused the serpentine belt to also break. I searched online and found this to be a common problem and I am surprised that there have not been any recalls.

- Longwood, FL, USA

Jan 102012

Corolla

My car recently got recall repair.after the repair done, my car became take a lot gas on driving.then I took back to dealer, dealer just said was fuel system need clean. I think that is big issue. Because after recall repair done. It take a lot gas than before if something I descrip not clearly. You can call me 404 645 5481. Thank you

- Lawrenceville, GA, USA

Aug 092011

2009 Toyota Corolla.

- Conroe , TX, USA

Sep 242010

Corolla 4-cyl

2009 Toyota Corolla. Consumer states several defects with vehicle the consumer did not specify the problems he experienced.

- Hialeah, FL, USA

Jan 172009

Corolla

I have experienced great amount of stress due to my 2009 Toyota Corolla. I experience the car shifting from right to left at high speeds (over 65 mph). I took it to Toyota of orange and they tested and legally they can only go 60mph or highway speed-limit. They kept denying any problems with the car, & came back to speak with the Toyota representative. I went in 3 times prior to this to see if they could find a problem, she said there's nothing wrong after special 'tests' were done. After that we took it in again and they performed an alignment which helped a little during regular speeds. But I still have the same problem, I recently took it in for the re-call, glad that was fixed, but at 70-80 mph if I shift into another line that is putting my life in great danger! I drive slower but I live in southern California so sometimes its unsafe to be driving at such speeds. I have also been experiencing paint problems with the vehicle, various scratches I don't know where they appear from, and my car is garaged mostly. There also a couple of chips in the paint, I took it in and they just washed and detailed the vehicle, which did help but there's scratches again, the paint seems to be defective. Another problem I'm experiencing with this vehicle is randomly maybe once or twice a month when started in the morning (parked in the garage which isn't cold at all) the whole car vibrates horrible, coming from the engine, as if its not held together well. It lasts for around a minute. I took it in to the dealership and they said since its not a constant problem they cant detect but if I leave it over night and if it happens they'll see, of-course it didn't happen they claimed they tested everything possible and there was no check engine lights etc. No signs when the steering goes crazy. Obviously this car is a defect the reason why I purchased a Toyota Corolla was because I have no problems with my 2005, and all the other cars I have owned, don't have steering or paint problems.

- Huntington Beach, CA, USA

Mar 292010

Corolla

2009 Toyota Corolla. Consumer express discontent regarding vehicle recalls.

- Ocean Pines, MD, USA

Mar 262010

Corolla 4-cyl

S10 appropriate handling re Toyota vehicles recall problem. The consumer stated she is afraid to drive the vehicle.

- Duluth, MN, USA

Sep 112009

Corolla

When using either the air re-circulation button or the air conditioning I sometimes get a sickening smell like anti-freeze. I brought the vechile in to the dealer in September and they said they saw no loose hose or obvious leak. This problem is intermittent in nature and when I had the car there it was not doing it. They said they would not remove the dash unless they could smell the odor. I had a surgery for lung cancer last year and I believe this odor to be harmful to be breathing.

- West Nottingham`, NH, USA

Jun 182009

Corolla

Exiting parking lot onto highway. The vehicle entered the road into the path of a tractor trailer.

- Tully, NY, USA