2009 Toyota Corolla seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Toyota Corolla:

2009 Toyota Corolla Owner Comments (Page 5 of 5)

Jul 012011

Corolla 4-cyl

I have had several problems with my 2009 Corolla since I purchased it. Several of the recalled safety items occurred before they were even recalled by Toyota. I'm still waiting to hear from Toyota (more than 2 months have passed) concerning results from the blackbox for an acceleration incident. During 7/2011, I had to take my car in because the SRS airbag light continues to be displayed and the dealer checked it and said it would cost an initial $250 just to try to diagnose the problem and then pay for any parts (could be up to $1,200). The dealership indicated that while this light is on, the airbags may not deploy in an accident. Even though the car is out of warranty, this safety issue should be something that Toyota would want to correct for the customer, especially since I have had so many problems with the car already. I don't feel safe in this car.

- Gulfport, MS, USA

Oct 062010

1. my daughter was driving her 2009 Toyota Corolla 4 door sedan and did not see a pickup truck stopped in the road waiting to make a left turn. She swerved, but not soon enough to avoid colliding with the truck. The Toyota Corolla sustained heavy damage to the driver's side front of the car (the car was totaled by the insurance company). There were no injuries to my daughter or her passenger. 2. there were multiple failures of safety equipment on the Toyota Corolla. First, the air bags did not deploy. The investigating police officer said that they did not deploy because the collision "missed the sensor". second, and the failure that most concerns me is that the hood latch failed to prevent the hood from popping loose, thereby driving the hood backwards and breaking the windshield. I was appalled that the hood latch failed to secure the hood in the crash. 3. since the car was a total loss, this is the first time that the hood latch failure has been reported. The delay in reporting the failure si due to my lack of knowledge of this database.

- San Antonio, TX, USA

Jun 152010

The contact owns a 2009 Toyota Corolla. While driving approximately 70 mph during rainy weather, the contact engaged the brakes and the contact lost control of the vehicle. The vehicle proceeded to crash into the guard rail on the opposite side of the highway and was spun around. The contact was struck from the rear by another vehicle. The air bags did not deploy upon either impact. A police report was filed. The vehicle was destroyed. There were no injuries. The VIN was unavailable. The approximate failure mileage was 21,000.

- East Lansing, MI, USA

May 172009

A year ago under rainy weather, driving my Toyota Corolla S/09 when approaching the highway exit I lost control of the car before turning out to the main way. I crashed with the highway bar and the left side of the car got damage, no airbags came out, however I drive it like that to the dealer where they assist for the whole reparation and deal with the insurance. My deductible was $1000 among the reparation. Weeks later they called me to pick up the car, noticing the lights from the board didn't turn on. Getting back to garage.then 6 months later the harness was reported as non properly repair when an engine light turns on and I got back to the dealer. They did reparation back with the insurance as part of the accident reparation. They were all sending each other and no one gave any answer about was going on with the car. Later, I decide to sell the car by owner or trade for another, noticing that all the mechanics I'd visited including other dealers are telling me that the care is unsafe to drive due to a frame damage that was never reported to me after the entire reparation, and is not in the papers. I did all the recalls suggested by Toyota this year, but I'm still driving a car that should be reported as a total lost due to the damage suffered at the accident. Adjuster said there was nothing wrong at reparation and that people from the dealer couldn't say the car wasn't properly repaired. I'm still paying for the car, the increment of the insurance, and nobody at Toyota cares about the frame damage issue. At the last reparation due to the harness, they didn't gave any work paper saying they get rid of printer paper. Things shouldn't be like this when safety is first thing when driving a car.

- Weston, FL, USA

Apr 152010

My wife was recently in an accident while driving a 2009 Toyota Corolla in princeton NJ. She mentioned that she stopped at the stop sign and presumably tried to move forward a bit so that she can see the traffic on the main road, to make a right turn and next thing she realized was that she was on middle of the main road hit by a flatbed truck. She is not sure how it happened. The car suffered good damage to the front left side near the tires and based on the autobody, it is going to be a high dollar repair. During the accident: 1) the seatbelt tightened strong enough to brake her left clavicle bone in her shoulder. 2) the air bags did not deploy. This is my biggest concern. Due to this accident she received a traffic ticket. This model of the car was part of the recent accelerator pedal recall and I got it fixed March 2010. I cannot stop wondering if that issue, eventhough considered as fixed, had something to do with the car accelerating faster on to the road than expected. My wife thinks she hit the accelerator slowly to move ahead a bit to better see the traffic on the main road. I have driven her car in the past and did not notice any issues related to this recall before the fix. I am not blaming this on this issue, however, I cant stop wondering if that may have played a role. And my bigger issue is that the air bags did not deploy. The car is in a body shop in NJ and I can share photos if needed.

- Belle Mead, NJ, USA

Apr 052010

2009 Toyota Corolla with unintended acceleration. Consumer states that she and her husband are not happy with the corrections. The consumer stated the vehicle accelerated while attempting to park. After the vehicle was returned, the word check appeared on the dashboard, then it went out and the SRS light illuminated.

- Secaucus, NJ, USA

Mar 072010

I was driving in a parking lot on the main driveway leading out of parking lot. I was stuck by a truck in the rear passenger side. The other drivers truck struck my back wheel taking most of the impact. Wheel physically looks straight and does not show any wobble when watching it drive. No airbags deployed yet I could not steer or brake my vehicle. Almost as if everything froze when I was impacted. Vehicles power was still on but nothing worked after impact. I ended up crashing into shopping carts and curb after impact because I could not stop. This could have been a disaster if I was not in a parking lot. I would be dead if this was on a highway.

- La Jolla, CA, USA

Oct 312009

My car is a 2009 Toyota Corolla le it was driven on October 31, 2009 when the gas pedal sped up and crashed towards the front vehicle. A police report. After this occurred around Jan. 2010 I heard the Corollas were doing a recall about the gas pedal and I figured thats what happened to me. I contacted Toyota and its been three weeks since I last heard from them. There is a claim opened but I dont know anything about my car or whats going to happen.

- Bell, CA, USA

Jan 162009

Corolla 4-cyl

2009 Toyota Corolla S was involved in a crash and the air bags failed to deploy. The consumer stated another vehicle hit the driver side of the vehicle. Due to the high impact from the other vehicle the consumer's vehicle was dragged about 22 feet to the right side of the road and hit against the concrete curb and a sign pole which was another huge impact to the front side of the vehicle.

- Perry Hall, MD, USA

Feb 052009

Air bags not deploying in car that flipped over and lost control of car. Car was totaled.

- Fayette, AL, USA

Dec 142009

The contact owns a 2009 Toyota Corolla. The contact stated that the driver was involved in a crash and the air bags did not deploy. The battery exploded after the crash but did not cause a fire, which caused the vehicle to be destroyed. The driver hit the other vehicle at a speed of less than 20 mph. There were no injuries. A police report is available. The contact called the manufacturer and was currently awaiting a response. The current and failure mileages were approximately 11,800.

- Prescott, AZ, USA

Dec 122009

I was driving 15 mph in 33 degree temp. I gave it a little gas at the bottom of a small hill and my car went in to a fish tail. I corrected this about 6 times before I could not recover. My car hit the ditch on the passenger side and flipped on it's roof. Prior to the accident my wheel would almost take control of the car between above 30 mph. The car would swerve all over my lane. I thought this was just me, now I see many others have this problem also. Question being..... could the alignment be off enough from the eps problems that it could have made it possible that my car would not have been recoverable from? I would like Toyota to look in to this to determine the problem before another family of 5 ends up upside down in a ditch.

- Amboy, WA, USA

Nov 302009

Corolla 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2009 Toyota Corolla. While driving, the vehicle began to rapidly increase its speed. Even after repeated brake application the vehicle would not stop. Consequently the consumers mother crashed into another vehicle. The driver was injured and the air bags did not deploy. A police report was filed. The vehicle was being inspected by the insurance company. He did not contact the dealer or the manufacturer. The current and failure mileages were approximately 2,500. Updated 12/15/09 updated 01/19/10 ( son on behalf of his mother). Updated 01/20/10...updated 12/03/14 updated 5/11/15

- Stephens City, VA, USA

Jul 272008

I was driving straight on the mass pike in framingham, MA, and my car began to lose control. I neither hit anything nor did I lose control of the car. The brakes stopped working and I could not turn the steering wheel. This resulted in my car swerving out of control, hitting the barrier and flipping over. My car landed directly on top of 2 of the 6 air bags I have in my car, and not one airbag deployed after barrel rolling my car. My car is now totaled and I am undergoing physical therapy for severe whiplash to my back and neck. My insurance company has considered the accident a human error, yet I did nothing to cause the accident. My friend who has been a car mechanic for over 20 years feels that it was a mechanical flaw on the vehicle, and does not see how the accident could have been caused by me. I would like to talk to someone regarding a possible manufacturer's error on my new but totaled 09 Toyota Corolla.

- Watertown, MA, USA