2010 Toyota Corolla engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Toyota Corolla:

2010 Toyota Corolla Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Aug 012013

Corolla

Two issues: Radio controls fail; usually when outside temps near/above 100F. Touching any control turns off radio, spits out cd. Causes me to Focus on radio instead of driving. Dealer no help. Seen the problem listed by others online Inc. Youtube video of the radio acting up. 2nd issue: Just had to replace water pump, approx. 150,000 miles. Appears there was some sort of recall but I did not receive any notice. Replaced 7/16/16

- Murrieta, CA, USA

Nov 012015

Corolla

Excessive oil consumption. My 2010 Corolla has suddenly started burning (not leaking) oil at the rate of 1 quart per every 1500 miles. I noticed this happening a few months ago and have been carefully watching it. My mechanic said it is most likely a defective engine or piston rings. Very costly to repair. I believe Toyota knowingly put these defective engines in the 2010 Corolla. They put the same engine in other Corollas up to 2009. Obviously in the 2010 also. Please look into this. I'm sure that I am not the only one with this issue. What are my options?

- Pelham, NH, USA

Mar 122016

Corolla

My car is in motion on a city street. The other car driver fails to yield the road approriately, caused accident.airbags are not deployed.

- San Antonio, TX, USA

Aug 012015

Corolla

When applying the brakes, my car will rev up. Especially when I'm going down hill. Another concern is that my car will make a 2-3 second rattling noise upon starting up. It only makes this noise once in a while and it is coming from the engine. Another issue I'm having is the car's check engine light, track light and vsc off light coming on simultaneously on any rainy day and staying on for several days after it has stopped raining. I avoid driving at fast speeds when its rainy because obviously the car is very unstable. My driver side window wont open or close and very cold days and other days it makes a weird noise. I just bought this car used and it has about 79K miles on it.

- Austin, TX, USA

Oct 262015

Corolla

Once gain after getting a new engine put into this car 3 months back, our car experienced yet another problem - the oxygen gauge in the exhaust system which is attached to the engine's exhaust manifold has gone bad. While driving the car to work, the engine light and vsc illuminates again. I was under the impression, this is the dealership's fault since it dealing with the engine, or under warranty, but nope. I ended up paying for the repair again. I have never dealt with so many problems in a single car. This car is accident free and never had any major damages done. I believe this car is a faulty car and could be a risk factor to myself, my family and others on the road.

- Woodbridge, VA, USA

Jul 282015

Corolla

My family and I bought a brand new Toyota Corolla 2010 le from lustine Toyota, woodbridge, Virginia in 2010. For the past five years, since we owed the vehicle, we have did all the oil, filter changes, and the required maintenance, I.e., tire rotations, alignment, and the different miles inspection on time and never missed a single maintenance or check-ups. We can provide proper documentations, if needed. When the car reached the 34,000 miles, the engine light came on and the vehicle started to shake. We took the vehicle to the lustine Toyota dealership and they fix the vehicle. The dealership informed us that it was a part of a recall issue, and no fees would be required from our side. However, we have recently faced the same issue this past week, and the car has now reached more that 89,000 miles. Once again, we had the vehicle serviced by lustine Toyota, who then informed us the vehicle needs a new engine, which is about a $8,000 expense. I recently filed a compliant with the Toyota cooperation, who refused to acknowledge fault and wants to provide me with $2,000 to replace family's car. My family and I were not expecting this exhaustive expense and a $2,000 credit is not enough to purchase another vehicle. This is a very frustrating experience for myself and my family. I have children under the age of 5, which are also traumatized and afraid of the car's condition to operate safely (my children were in the vehicle at the time the vehicle shook vigorously). I would greatly appreciate the cooperation from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) investigating this matter further and explain why my vehicle is experiencing so many issues and problems. I am appalled by Toyota's cooperation and I would never recommend anyone to purchase or consider leasing vehicles from Toyota. Horrible customer and service experience.

- Woodbridge, VA, USA

May 202015

Corolla

I purchased a Toyota Corolla in 2010 and it apparently had a potential cam gear issue. They had put out a tsb alert on the vehicle, however they never disclosed to me that this issue could accur. I've taken it in to their dealership and the cost of repair is $1150. If they would have told me at the time of the purchase that the cam gear could have been an issue I wouldn't have purchased it. They failed to disclose to me any potential issues at the time of sale. This practice is fraudulent and highly unethical. I would like this issue resolved with me and it be corrected for future purschases of others.

- Mesa, AZ, USA

Jan 042015

Corolla 4-cyl

The car was parked in the garage. It was running in park with the emergency brake on. My wife put her foot on the brake and released the emergency brake. At the same time she released the emergency brake the engine revved up dramatically. The RPM's increased as if she had the accelerator pedal to the floor. It kept that up until she shut off the engine.

- Belgrade, MT, USA

Dec 262014

Corolla 4-cyl

I was starting to back out of a diagonal parking space and suddenly the car rapidly accelerated and backed across two lanes of downtown business traffic colliding with a vehicle parked diagonally across the street. When my vehicle started accelerating I stomped on my brake but the car did not stop until it hit the other vehicle. I believe this is an incident of "unintended low-speed surging" as reported on the internet and under NHTSA action number DP14003.

- Davis, CA, USA

Dec 172014

Corolla

Since a recall correction for the smart stop technology, the car will act like it wants to die when stopped and will hesitate before accelerating from a stop. It acts like it wants to quit running if idling to warm up and gas mileage is worse than before.

- Lexington, KY, USA

Jan 212014

Corolla

After dealer did smartstop technology up date, over a period of a few months the engine performance has dropped off, as has the gas mileage by about 5mpg with no change in driving habits. Talked to dealer on 12/11/2014 and was informed the car has to relearn these functions. Asked how long this would take and was told a few months which I find unacceptable. Mileage on car now is about 28000, to me that is more than enough time to relearn all functions.

- Endicott, NY, USA

Sep 162014

Corolla

The contact owns a 2010 Toyota Corolla. While at a stop light, the engine revved independently and the vehicle began to shake. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnostic testing, but the results were unknown. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 36,000.

- Franklin Square, NY, USA

Jul 262014

Corolla 4-cyl

Upon purchasing this car from carmax on 02/2012 there had been constant transmission issues that were not being resolved from the dealership. I had gone in and tried having my transmission looked at three times a the carmax dealership all of which told me that nothing was wrong with my car. On 07/26/2014 my 2010 Toyota's transmission failed and now needs a new one. This out of pocket expense is ridiculous for a car that was built in 2010 and for myself owning it for two years. Both the Toyota dealership and carmax dealership are not willing help assist the problem. I will never purchase a Toyota car again. Updated 4/24/2015

- San Diego, CA, USA

Jun 022014

Corolla 4-cyl

2010 Toyota Corolla. Consumer writes in regards to steering and other vehicle problems. The consumer stated the skid light would come on at any time, even if she was driving slowly. When going around a corner, controlling the steering was somewhat of a problem. If it were snowing, or raining, the rear end would slide out to the point, the skid light would come on. There were times, when the vehicle would not start. The consumer also stated she heard a clicking sound from the vehicle, then all of a sudden, the vehicle took off. The incident happened several more times. Updated 11/13/14

- Manchester, PA, USA

Mar 302014

Corolla 4-cyl

The car suddenly stopped and soon caught fire by itself when I was driving on 101 & lawrence express, California. Report shown by insurance company said "found cyl #1 rod is bent and has punctured the eng. Block causing oil to leak also the block impacted the ac compressor possibly causing the veh to catch fire melting the ac compressor harness, rf wheel speed harness, front bumper, wheel and wheel liner.no other failures seen or demo" this happened a week after I had my car inspected and maintained. Tried to reach Toyota, but they are not responding.

- Sunnyvale, CA, USA

May 172010

Corolla 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2010 Toyota Corolla. The contact stated while driving various speeds, the vehicle would swerve to the right and left. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where the technician stated that the vehicle was functioning normally. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 25 and the current mileage was 43,749. Updated 03/05/14 the consumer also stated the vehicle would hesitate at times, and it wouldn't accelerate. There was a burning smell coming from the vehicle, an issue with the ignition and the front end.

- Accokeek, MD, USA

Oct 152013

Corolla

Prematurely failing: Struts (repaired summer of 2013), water pump (repaired 10/15/13), brakes (repaired 10/15/13), and alternator (yet to be repaired).

- Oxford, OH, USA

Oct 102013

Corolla 4-cyl

My Toyota Corolla 2010 car has manual transmission. When I drove at about 35mph on city street and hit brake pedal, engine suddenly roared to 8000rpm. I depressed the clutch fully, turned off engine, hit hard the brake pedal, turned left to median; the car hit hard the median curb and stopped partly in left lane. After several attempts on pedals and turned on engine, it still roared in the first several tries. The car eventually worked normally after 10 minutes and no injury happened. I never let the engine run over 5000rpm even when I tested the car and engine; my maximal running RPM is about 3000. This 8000rpm should not be from my operation. I was not convinced on 'stick pedal" or "floor mat" cause for this case. The sequence "turned off engine, braked" might be good to "braked to stop and turned off engine" because it is too hard to brake with engine off. But, when you hear the scary 8000rpm roaring engine, the first reaction is turn it off. I have scheduled an appointment with dealer.

- Fairfax, VA, USA

Jul 092013

Corolla 4-cyl

After starting the engine and driving approximately 100 feet, the dashboard lights: ABS, anti skid symbol, battery and oil lamp appeared. Lost power steering, windshield wipers ceased, it was raining heavily. Drove approximately 6 miles to home. The next morning, car started without any issues, drove approximately 100 feet, the same lights appeared and power steering again ceased. Able to drive approximately 5 miles to work. Made an appointment with dealership for after work. Car immediately started with the above mentioned lights appearing again and without power steering. Drove approximately 2 miles, all power in car stopped, and car immediately stopped. Was unable to restart car, car was towed to dealership, where the service member stated the car needed a new alternator. When asked why this would occur with only 25000 miles, the service department was unable to give me a response. The alternator was costly. I am the original owner, purchased this car in July, 2009. Service my car regularly as suggested in manual at a Toyota dealership. I am disappointed with needing such a costly repair as I have never experienced this in the past with other makes of cars. All of which I have owned for 8 to 10 years each.

- Yardley, PA, USA

Oct 102012

Corolla

The contact owns a 2010 Toyota Corolla. The contact stated while driving approximately 2 to 3 mph into a driveway, the vehicle stalled. The vehicle shut off completely smoke and sparks were present in the engine; the vehicle caught fire and the vehicle exploded. The police and fire department were contacted and a report was filed. The manufacturer offered to pick up the vehicle and investigate the failure. They also advised her that it would take 30 days at which time she would receive a letter regarding their findings. Approximately a month later she received a letter from the manufacturer stating that there were no defective parts and her claim was denied. The failure mileage was approximately 50,000.

- Atlanta, GA, USA