2010 Toyota Corolla engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Toyota Corolla:

2010 Toyota Corolla Owner Comments (Page 8 of 8)

Feb 012010

Corolla

On 27jan10, I drove home and parked the car under the carport before an ice storm hit Oklahoma with no issues. On Friday 29jan10, I had to move my car to shovel the snow from the driveway and the car would not start. I made sure everything (defroster, fan, etc) were off and tried again. It wouldn't start and sounded like the engine was almost starting but not quite. I tried a 3rd time and it finally started. All three attempts were several seconds long. The dashboard would not light up and after about 5 seconds, it finally lit up but the engine check light and vsc icon light were on and the vsc off light was flashing. I let it warm up for a while and the lights still did not go away. I moved the car to get the snow out of the way and parked it in the same place again. The following Monday, 1feb10, I drove to work with the same 3 lights lit up on roads that had some ice. I fishtailed in two intersections and I've felt the vehicle speed control kick in on wet roads last year but it never kicked in that day so I know for a fact that I did not have vehicle speed control. I drove to work and fired off an E-mail to the local dealership but I could not come in until Wednesday 3feb10 and by then, the lights went away on their own. They did, however, find a code and they told me that it was a "camshaft timing" code or something of that sort but the original code that caused the engine check light to come on was already kicked out of memory. This was the first and only time this ever happened. The dealership reset the code for the camshaft timing code but nothing else was done except record it in my file at my request in case it happens again. I did some research and found that some people have had this problem come up when it's cold and wet. For your information, the Oklahoma mesonet site says that the high/low temperatures are: 27jan10 66F/43F, 28jan10 46F/28F, and 29jan10 25F/19F. We had rain at first, then sleet, then snow during that period.

- Noble, OK, USA

Dec 232009

2010 Toyota. Recall

- Kenmore, NY, USA

Feb 052010

Corolla

I own a 2010 Toyota Corolla, which my 19 year old daughter drives, which is involved in the gas pedal recall. She also describes an steering problem -- difficulty keeping the car from veering, has to hold steering wheel tight to keep it straight, describes it like car is sliding on ice. When I asked our Toyota dealer service dept advisor about it he said to check the tire inflation. I now see that this is a complaint from others. I am concerned that this car is not safe for her to drive! she drives it to and from college on interstate 95 and says this problem occurs at all speeds, especially 45 and over.

- Columbia, MD, USA

Jan 082010

Corolla

On 2/8/10 Toyota performed a recall repair of the gas pedal on my 2010 Toyota Corolla. After the repair was finished, I noticed that the engine idle speed was higher and the vehicle took longer to stop when the brakes are applied.

- Freeport, NY, USA

Jan 212010

Corolla

I am extremly worried after the news came out regarding the sudden acceleration for Toyota cars. I recently purchased a 2010 Toyota Corolla le for my wife and I am asking if I have the right to return it since Toyota hasn't really solved this problem and they have halted the sale for this car. Neither my wife or I have driven it since the news came out as we are worried, as my children are worried, about being in a car that may have acceleration problems at any time.

- Santa Clara, CA, USA

Feb 042010

Corolla

As I was coming downhill on steep mt. Helix and stepped on the brakes, the car accelerated instead of reducing the speed, at that moment I could clearly hear the rotation actually increasing. I had to press it harder and control the wheel to get it to reduce the speed. This has happened 3 other times while driving downhill in the 2 months I have owned this 2010 Corolla. The next morning I took my car to the dealership and waited for about 1 hour for the car to be inspected and the pedal accelerator recall issue fixed, but the service staff told me that the brakes were fine and they had run out of the recall parts. They could not give me a time table when the parts were going to arrive. I also contacted 2 other dealerships later that day, and the only answer I got was that " we were all in the same boat", nobody knew when said parts were expected to arrive.

- La Mesa, CA, USA

Nov 192009

Corolla

Toyota Corolla le 2010 did not respond to brakes properly for 100 feet when slowing from 10 mph at intersection. Road was slightly damp but not frozen or slippery. ABS & vsc lights went on brakes ground so loudly as I applied more pressure, it sounded as though they'd break off. 2 Toyota service depts have dismissed my concerns saying the roads must have been worse than I thought. I've been driving for 35 years and have never experienced this kind of out of control vehicle. I believe there is something in the chip or software or complete brake/vsc/gas pedal combo. Very concerned Toyota gas pedal fix is not the complete culprit.

- Washington, DC, USA

Nov 092009

Corolla

In November of 2009 I purchased a new Toyota Corolla sport and within 2 days noticed the tachometer racing even when the car was in neutral. I also noticed that when I would take my foot off the gas and press in the clutch the tachometer would accelerate as much as 2000 RPM and stay there. I have taken my car back to the Toyota dealership where it was purchased three times in 2009 and once in 2010 regarding unexplained acceleration. Even when I am not in the car and the car is idling all of a sudden the engine suddenly accelerates from.6 on the tachometer to 6.4 on the tachometer. The dealership says they can't replicate the issues and have advised me not to drive the car. When I took the vehicle in the last time I had 5 recording on my cell phone where you can clearly see the tachometer over 6,000rpm with no one in the vehicle. They have told me they can't help me at this time. I am concerned about how long this action will take as I need my car.

- Monroeville, PA, USA

Jan 292010

Corolla

Extremely worried after the news regarding the sudden acceleration of Toyota cars. I purchased Toyota Corolla 2010 recently and I am asking if I have the right to return it since Toyota didn't solve the acceleration problem yet and halted the sale of Corolla 2010. This car is the only car we have and whenever I am driving it now I am so worried about my kids and my family being in a car that may have acceleration problems at any time. Also, I have another concern that my car jump fast after each stop and the break response should be faster.

- South Pasadena, CA, USA

Dec 052009

Corolla

Driving a rental 2010 Corolla in tucson. As I was braking to a stop at traffic light, the car suddenly surged ahead. Fortunately I was far enough from the vehicle stopped in front of me to stand hard on the brake and bring the car to a stop. Scary!!. floor mats were properly secured and no where near the pedal area. Never experienced anything like this before. Toyota has a problem way beyond floor mats.

- Romeoville, IL, USA

Nov 052009

Corolla

The contact owns a 2010 Toyota Corolla. She was unable to stop the vehicle while driving and crashed into a truck. The driver frontal air bag failed to deploy. The driver seat belt also failed to operate normally which caused the contact to sustain injuries. The police report number is 0470200. The vehicle was diagnosed by a dealer. A report was filed with the manufacturer who stated that the air bag did deploy. E current and the failure mileages were 6,000.

- Elizabethtown, KY, USA