2011 Toyota Corolla engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Toyota Corolla:

2011 Toyota Corolla Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Sep 212015

I drive quite a bit and normally know my vehicles pretty good. I have recently obtained this 2011 Toyota Corolla S and it is in great condition overall. I made a trip 2 days after getting the vehicle and immediately noticed a hesitation between 55-65 mph. The first time it was approximately 11am in the morning at 78F. Driving on a flat well maintained black top road the vehicle does in fact have a constant hesitation that drops approximately 1000-2000 rpms with a noticeable feel in the vehicle. Immediately (3-4 sec) after the hesitation the vehicle recovers back to the original RPM. As long as staying in this speed range (55-65 mph) the vehicle has the hesitation repeatedly. The second issue that I have noticed on the same vehicle is the actual deceleration when removing my foot from accelerator. When traveling on the same road and time as stated above the vehicle seems to really coast right along or so it seems. When saying this, I removed my foot from accelerator and the vehicle rolls right along as if I am still pushing the accelerator at which time I must apply the brake more significantly than letting it just coast. I would like to know how this is effecting my gas mileage, is it going to cause undue strain on the drivetrain, is this going to be a problematic issue that Toyota is going to continue to ignore?

- Clarksvillle, TN, USA

Aug 012013

Corolla 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2011 Toyota Corolla. The contact stated that while engaging the brake pedal, the vehicle would accelerate forward. The contact indicated that the failure recurred on multiple occasions. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who was unable to duplicate the failure. The manufacturer was notified. The failure mileage was 15,000. Updated 4/6/15 updated 11/4/2015

- Hamburg, NY, USA

Jan 122015

Corolla 4-cyl

I was getting out a parking in reverse, suddenly the car accelerated without control crashing with the car was behind in the other extreme in the parking. Damages:1-bumper, right and left of the rear sides of my car 2-back, front, and sides of the car which my car stopped.

- Trujillo Alto, PR, USA

Feb 052015

Corolla 4-cyl

I'm a 52 year old male driver and the car is a 2011 Toyota Corolla automatic drive. The temperature was 4 degrees Fahrenheit. I accelerated from a stop turning left on to a rural route heading West. The accelerator dropped to the floor going far beyond where I pushed it with my foot. I had to stomp the brake so it would release the accelerator as it already accelerated beyond safe speeds. The accelerator wasn't stuck in a floor mat as it released when I stomped the brake. The 2011 Corolla often exhibits an auto-Pilot feeling on a flat stretch of road or going downhill at which you can remove your foot from the accelerator and it will maintain that speed for another mile or so rather than decelerating. During this time, the brake stiffens and there seems to be a strong upward force on your foot as you try to depress the brake pedal. Depressing the brake pedal doesn't decelerate the vehicle very much. It appears to try to continue the speed the auto-Pilot chose. When the auto-Pilot isn't experience, the brake pedal is normal and goes down when depressed as you would expect. I have tried to downshift to force deceleration as well but shifting into third does not reset the auto-Pilot. Shifting into second might release the auto-Pilot but I believe that is dangerous to the occupants and harmful to the transmission so I have not tried shifting into second. I'm quite concern that this will lead to an accident. Noticing on other internet sites that people have claimed this was an issue with their 2011 Corolla, I thought I should add my experience in hopes to see a recall.

- Chardon, OH, USA

Dec 212011

Corolla 4-cyl

When I take my foot off the accelerator, it feels like I have the cruise control. The car decelerate very slowly for anywhere between.5 to 1 mile then the RPM drops suddenly as it should when you first take your foot of the pedal. The other related problem is that if I'm just trying to maintain a constant speed anywhere between 50 and 60 miles/hr it feels like the engine stalls for a very brief moment then shortly after comes back to the original RPM. When I drive car down hill try to apply break to maintain the speed of the car acceleration increases suddenly 3 to 4 thousand RPM and after 3 to 4 seconds cars come to normal engine RPM both problems describe above are easily reproducible and my local Toyota dealer said its normal. Its very scary to drive this car and since 3 years I was complaining to local dealer and get same answer every time its normal. Please do some thing about this.

- Ashburn, VA, USA

Apr 042012

I purchased this car as a new vehicle. Ever since I have had it there has always been an acceleration issue to where it does not slow down for several seconds after releasing your foot from the gas. It accelerates often to where you have to apply the brakes firmly to where the anti lock then kicks in. During servicing it has been brought to the attention of the dealership but they have continued to say that there is not an issue. I have had other family members operate my vehicle to verify that this issue is in fact an issue and they experienced the same situation. This is very dangerous and will end up costing someone their life due to the manufacturers dragging their feet on addressing the issue.

- Sebring, FL, USA

Apr 112014

Corolla 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2011 Toyota Corolla. While stopped at a red light with the brakes engaged, the vehicle suddenly accelerated without warning. The vehicle continued to accelerate after the brake pedal was depressed and the lever was shifted into park. The transmission had to be shifted into neutral and the engine had to be turned off in order for the acceleration to stop. The dealer was unable to duplicate the failure. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 35,000. Updated 01/12/15

- Lilburn, GA, USA

Aug 302014

I was going to an atm at about 8 mph when the car accelerated and I was not able to stop it by pressing the brake. The car jumped a curb, went through a hedge to a field, up a hill, heading at 90 degrees to a four lane highway. I managed to steer the car to go parallel to the highway when the car reached the highway curb. The car then stopped. Three tires were blown and the car incurred body damage.

- Charlotte, NC, USA

Mar 102014

Corolla 4-cyl

I noticed that the driver side floor mat moved to the front and I am afraid that the floormat could jam the gas pedal like it happened before. To my knowledge there have been fatalities due to gas pedals jammed by the floormat on previous Toyota models. Toyota claimed that the floor mat issue was addressed but the 2 clips which are supposed to secure the floormat are not strong enough. My vehicle was not even 3 years old when I first noticed that the floor mat can't be secured anymore. The two tiny plastic hooks are bent and don't hold the floor mat in place.

- Apache Junction, AZ, USA

Aug 222014

Once a month or so when I am at highway speeds the car does not decelerate as normal when I take my foot off the gas pedal. The car tend to stays at the speed it was at until I use the break. It is almost like the cruise control has been turned on without notice (it is never turned on during these cases). This sometimes includes the slight acceleration like some car get when they are going back on cruise control. Luckily I keep a good distance between me and the car ahead of me. I can see this issues causing accidents.

- Alexandria, VA, USA

Jun 292012

The first accident was in June 29 2012, while I was driving 10 miles an hour (for transit) the car in front of me stopped and I try to stop as well but my car didn't stop (increase its speed) and I crashed in the back of the car (I remain surprised, did not know what had happened). The second accident happened on December the 28th of 2012, around 2:00 pm, I was in my way to New Jersey, 2 miles away from the Washington bridge; there was a truck in front of me and I was not moving and pushing the brakes but all of a sudden my vehicle started going forward so I used the hand brake trying to stop it; but my car still crash the other car on the back. I bought this car zero miles from your dealer (hudson Toyota) and I am very upset and disappointed! this shouldn't happen to me if the car would be in perfect conditions!!, I am always worry driving it, I don¿T know when this will happen again!! I take the car to Toyota's December 29, 2012, revised it and said it did not find anything, was his reply in March 28 of 2013. Now I am in trouble because I used to pay $700 every six months for my car insurance and now they raise it to $ $1,300 every six months. -en espanol en junio 29 2012 estaba manejando hacia casa habia transito E iba a 10 millas de velocidad, de un momento a otro el auto acelero Y choque al auto delente mio, no ntendi que habia pasado, quede sorprendido, tuve que usar mi seguro. El segundo accidente ocurrio en diciembre 28 del 2012 como a las 2pm, estabamos en transito pero todos los autos estabamos detenidos, nadie avanzaba Y de un momento a otro mi auto comenzo a acelerarse Y SE estrello contra un trairler aun asi presionando el freno Y asu vez usando el freno de mano, Toyota lo reviso al dia siguiente Y dijo que no encontro nada Y envio una carta en marzo 28 del 2013. No ES justo que este pagando el seguro Y ellos no asuman su responsibilidad.

- North Bergen, NJ, USA

Apr 192014

Corolla 4-cyl

On April 19th, 2014, at about 1:30 pm, myself and my wife left our friend's home in los altos hills, ca. As we left the driveway at about 5 mph on baker ln, the car went into a sudden, uncontrollable acceleration mode, reaching speeds 50 - 60 mph. Within about 1000 - 1500 ft we approached a the intersection of baker ln and purissima rd., all the while desperately trying to press the brake, applying hand brake and shifting to neutral. Against this sudden burst of acceleration, the car went off the road at that intersection, and fell into a ditch and stopped by a tree trunk. Both of us were injured with multiple internal/ external fractures, but we were conscious; my wife in the passenger seat had more grievous injuries, including an open wound of broken bone in ankle and severe spinal cord injuries, and was screaming with pain. Once I collected myself, I called 911 and the fd/ paramedics responded and we were hauled from the ditch by cutting open the car doors. We were transported to stanford medical center in palo alto, after which we were shifted to our hmo, after about 10 days in icu. I am now discharged and rehabilitating/ getting physical therapy at home, while my wife is still at a rehab center, over 10 weeks after the accident. At the time of the accident, the weather, visibility and road conditions were excellent; both of us had our seat belts firmly in place; no cell phone was being used; I had my foot on the brake and off the accelerator all the time; air bags deployed as expected. Since both of us were critically injured, we could not initiate/ pursue any legal action against Toyota and surrendered the vehicle (which was totaled) to my insurer, farmers. We strongly feel that Toyota is fully responsible for the defective acceleration system and causing serious bodily injury and mental trauma for both of us. We should be compensated by Toyota.

- San Jose, CA, USA

Jun 022014

Corolla 4-cyl

2011 Toyota Corolla. Consumer writes in regards to vehicle sudden acceleration. The consumer stated when he removed his foot from the accelerator, the engine would sometimes continue running at the same RPM, not decreasing and coasting as he would expect. As time progressed, the issue became more frequent and the decrease in RPM sometimes came 30 seconds after pressure was lifted from the accelerator pedal.

- Chesterfield, VA, USA

Mar 282014

Corolla 4-cyl

I came to an intersection and stopped, then took my foot off the brake before noticing that the light was still red. The other vehicle was roughly 30 feet away when I pushed on the brakes. I should have easily been able to stop. Brakes did not engage and I had been pushing them so hard and for so long that I fractured my ankle. There were not even skid marks at the accident scene. My car had front end frame damage from the accident (totaled), and the airbags never deployed. Additionally, in the past I had noticed the rpms rising for no reason while car was idling, and the acceleration issue, where the vehicle seemed to "hang? between speeds of about 35 and 40 and 60 and 65mph. The rpms I only noticed once-so I did not report it, and the ?hanging? was my own ignorance (I haven?T had a 4 cylinder in a long time and this was my first?and probably last"Toyota). I also had prior braking concerns-- ABS only made a noise (did not vibrate against pedal--again, my ignorance of how this vehicle was supposed to respond) and it was a very icy winter, so I assumed that I had been trying to stop on ice. The brakes behaved fine if I physically pumped them, but sudden stops could not be made.

- Rochester, NY, USA

May 122011

Corolla 4-cyl

Well the accident hasn't happened yet, but it could be right around the corner if the dealership doesn't fix this. When I let off the gas at speeds between 40-60 mph. It seems as thought the cruise is on. The car does not decelerate normally. If there is a slight slope down it even picks up speed, I have to slam the break really heard to slow down the car its really scary when I go down hill. It's still getting fuel even though you don't have your foot on the pedal. It can take a few min or several miles before it kicks off the gas and acts normally. I buy this car brand new in April 2011 since then every time I went for service I told the dealership about the problem I got reply its normal if this is normal then what is abnormal. Right now on my car I have 34000 miles. So please make it as recall and fix the problem as soon as possible.

- Ashburn, VA, USA

Oct 112013

The contact owns a 2011 Toyota Corolla. The contact stated that the vehicle suddenly accelerated while driving in reverse and continued to accelerate while in drive gear. The dealer performed a diagnostic test which did not indicate a failure code and stated that the vehicle was operating as designed. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 42,703 and the current mileage was 46,000. Updated 4/3/14

- Townville, PA, USA

Nov 102013

The contact owns a 2011 Toyota Corolla. The contact stated that after parking the vehicle, he heard a popping noise as the vehicle accelerated independently and crashed against a parked vehicle. The contact was able to stop the vehicle by engaging the emergency brake and removing the key from the ignition. There were no injuries were reported and a police report was not filed. The vehicle was taken to the dealer however, the technician was unable to diagnose the failure. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileage was 65,200.

- Lakewood, OH, USA

Nov 042013

Corolla 4-cyl

Vehicle fails to start. Found codes P0606 (ECM/PCM processor error) and P0303 (random misfire) on obd 2 computer. Vehicle towed to Toyota dealership where they cleaned spark plugs and cylinders due to engine flooding. Upon return of vehicle drove it home were it sputtered on the drive (afraid vehicle would shut down during drive). Ran obd 2 tester on it again and found a Toyota code P1604 ECM error. Returned to dealership were they did test on fuel samples and had the car for a couple of days. Computer was deemed faulty and replaced by Toyota. Toyota replaced original computer under manufactures warranty. Have had the car for two days after new computer and 5 new codes are on under readiness codes. P0606 (ECM/PCM processor error), P0303 (random misfire), P0171 (system too lean bank 1), P0172 (system too rich (bank 1), and P0125 (insufficient collanbd temp for closed loop fuel control). Car continues to idle and rev uncontrollably while driving. Concerned vehicle may shut off while driving and or not start.

- Valley Lee, MD, USA

Aug 162013

Corolla 4-cyl

Well the accident hasn't happened yet, but it could be right around the corner if the dealership doesn't fix this. When I let off the gas at speeds between 40-60 it seems as thought the cruise is on. The car does not decelerate normally. If there is a slight slope down it even picks up speed. It's still getting fuel even though you don't have your foot on the pedal. It can take a few min or several miles before it kicks off the gas and acts normally. I have an appointment with the dealership next Saturday to get this fixed, but I'm reading that some dealerships are saying this is normal. I hope mine doesn't say that because this is dangerous!! I have been reading that this is an issue with many owners. I hope this helps us get a recall from Toyota. Please help!!

- Auburn, IN, USA

Jun 092013

Corolla 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2011 Toyota Corolla. The contact stated while driving approximately 5 mph the rpms began to increase without warning. The vehicle unexpectedly accelerated and failed to slow down. The vehicle traveled uncontrollably through a fence, two deep ditches and up an embankment and came to a stop. The driver sustained a bruise to the chest, injury to the neck and head. The vehicle was completely destroyed and towed to a collision center. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 38,527. Updated 03/05/14 the consumer stated the vehicle stopped before going over the embankment. Also, the air bags did not deploy. Updated 03/07/14

- Aurora, NE, USA