2012 Toyota Corolla drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Toyota Corolla:

2012 Toyota Corolla Owner Comments

Oct 312014

Corolla

Sudden unintended acceleration from stop. Put car in drive after backing out and it shot forward about 25' into a tree. Major damage to car. No injuries.

- Mendota Hts, MN, USA

Apr 172014

Corolla 4-cyl

While waiting for the traffic light to change and my foot on the brakes, the car suddenly accelerated and despite shifting to park and pulling on the emergency brake the car continued to rev very high for several minutes. Just prior to acceleration, the car's brakes became very soft and sunk all the way to the floor of the car as if someone had depressed the power in the brake line. I turned off the engine and waited for about 2 minutes and restarted the car. The engine raced again at very high speeds with the emergency brake on and the car set at "park." I turned the car off again and waited five minutes. The car started normally and I then called my wife to pick me up. She drove the car back home and noticed the brakes were very mushy and she felt a slight acceleration. We took it to our Toyota dealership since it was still under warranty and they found nothing wrong with the car and asserted that I depressed both the brake and the gas pedal at the same time, which is utterly ridiculous. We have owned the car for 18 months and nothing like this has ever happened. There were more than five witnesses to this as I had blocked traffic at the light's intersection while other cars went around me while the car was racing. I have filed an incident report with Toyota but it does not look as if anything will be done with the unintended acceleration issue. I am a former lawyer and I take my complaints very seriously. Please help.

- Tulatin, OR, USA

Aug 212012

Corolla 4-cyl

While making a left hand turn off of a busy street, the car slowed to an unsafe speed and was dangerously slow to accelerate. This has happened several times since then with the most recent on February 11, 2014. Toyota maintains there is nothing wrong because it happens at intermittent times and can't be duplicated in the four times it has been taken in.

- West Hollywood, CA, USA

Jan 062014

Corolla

The contact owns a 2012 Toyota Corolla. The contact stated when she tried to drive in reverse, the parking gear failed. The vehicle was not taken to an dealer for diagnostic testing because she was unable drive the vehicle. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The VIN was not available. The approximate failure mileage was 37,000.

- Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Jul 212013

Corolla

The contact owns a 2012 Toyota Corolla. The contact stated that while stopped at a stop light, he depressed the accelerator pedal but the vehicle would not accelerate. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnosis. The technician was unable to diagnose the failure. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The vehicle was repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 10,000.

- Sanford, FL, USA