2013 Toyota Corolla electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Toyota Corolla:

2013 Toyota Corolla Owner Comments

Oct 312015

Corolla

My car was hacked almost killing me. Cyber attack 10/31/15 as I was driving the battery/alternator kept draining forcing me to pull over to side of road. A strange gas also was periodically spraying out of vent fogging windows w/white film making it difficult to see & breath. Each time I pulled over car recharged itself on grass/dirt. At least the 8th or 9th time this happened the steering wheel jerked to right & w/in 1-2 seconds I went from 45-50mph-0 like hitting invisible building in middle of road. Pushed gas pedal to floor, not enough speed to pull off road. No lights, power, engine died. My body was jarred forward abruptly. A red light started blinking & beeping at bottom of consul & gas started coming out of vent again. I struggled to get out of car for fear of being hit from behind as it was pitch black out, also wanted to get cat out car which I left in field before police & ambulance arrived. I had blood down to socks. I was in hospital 1 week and no accident report was filed, my cat is still missing. I called dealership to report mechanical/electrical defect & was avoided/resisted for 3 1/2 weeks/over 30 hours on the phone before it was suggested I call manufacturer & another 2 weeks before they cooperated & filed claim. This has been a full time job trying to get someone to take responsibility. I sell real estate & cant work/earn money with no car. 12/11/15 Toyota sent inspector to place car was towed to pull info off data recorder. 2/1/15 I still have not received report. I have 3 year one pay lease expiring 9/2016, no money & no car. This has been an absurd, brain draining exhausting waste of time w/no end in site. I've reached out to ftc, consumer protection, govenors/senators...I just wanted them to take responsibility, loan or give me a car while they inspect and have had zero recourse to date. They want to sue me for cost of car/impound/storage fees.

- Saratoga Springs, NY, USA

Dec 072015

Corolla

When we go to remove the key from the ignition switch it won't turn completely to allow removal at times and you have to start the car several times to move it and it can affect the shifting of the transmission out of park. The vehicle was stationary at the time. This of course can be a safety problem.

- Hampton, IA, USA

Nov 122015

Corolla

When I am driving the vehicle the radio/navigation system turns off without warning and restarts in about 10 seconds. This happens a couple of times a day. The radio/navigation also freezes and you have to turn the car off and back on to unfreeze it. It does this on all type of roads, smooth or rough, straight or curved. Took car to the dealer several times and they say its a known problem and they are waiting for a fix from Toyota usa. After the third complaint they said they replaced the head unit and in a week the problem returned. I suspect its a problem in the wiring harness.

- Tacoma, WA, USA

Aug 112015

Corolla

The contact owns a 2013 Toyota Corolla. While driving approximately 30 mph, the check engine warning light illuminated and the track off message appeared on the instrument panel. The vehicle was taken to a dealer. The technician diagnosed that the water damage was due to an air conditioning failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 15,000.

- West Newton, MA, USA

Jun 252013

Corolla 4-cyl

In the past year this car has exhibited multiple occurrences (52 documented) of delayed acceleration from 1 to 3 seconds when pressing on the accelerator pedal. I have tried to get Toyota to acknowledge and repair the problem unsuccessfully as the car has been covered under original warranty throughout this time. Multiple drivers have attested to the defect. In ncds arbitration Toyota claimed pauses were due to the "traction control" or "electronic vehicle stability control" kicking in and reducing power to the wheels. This couldn't be the case as in none of the incidents did the instrument panel lights which come on when those features activate light up. Most of the incidents occurred on dry, asphalt, and straight roads and non-hurried driving. This problem is a safety hazard as it occurs intermittently and random without warning.

- Eagle Mountain, UT, USA