2013 Toyota Corolla seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Toyota Corolla:

2013 Toyota Corolla Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Aug 112016

Corolla

I had a very bad accident on 8-11-2016 my car is total loss. My airbag did not deploy.

- Las Vegas, NV, USA

Aug 052016

Corolla

When the passenger seat is occupied by an adult and the charging port is used, the passenger side airbag deactivates. Even though the seat belt is fastened and the passenger seat is occupied, the fasten seat belt light comes on, the passenger airbag shows off, and the airbag light on the dash comes on. I took it to the Toyota dealership and they could not replicate the problem. I plugged in a charger for a cell phone in order to replicate the problem. The service adviser saw the lights come on. The service adviser contacted Toyota assistance and was told that they are aware of the issue and have no current fix for the problem. This is a safety issue that deactivates the passenger side airbag on the vehicle. They mentioned that they have approximately 20 complaints for this issue, yet they are not able to fix the problem. The only solution given at this point is to not use the charging ports while the passenger seat is occupied.

- Las Vegas, NV, USA

Jun 012016

Corolla

I recently purchased my car on the 4th of November 2015, first everything was fine; but now when I drive, at the most random times the alarm for the passenger side air bag goes off (while no one is sitting there) and also if someone is sitting in the passenger side, it will read "airbag off".

- Houston, TX, USA

Feb 082016

Corolla

The contact owns a 2013 Toyota Corolla. A month after purchasing the vehicle, it didn't recognize that the seat belt was fastened. The air bag warning light illuminated, which indicated that the air bag was deactivated when a passenger was in the vehicle. The manufacturer did not have the parts to remedy the vehicle. The approximate failure mileage was 31,608.

- Falls Church, VA, USA

Aug 312015

Corolla

The contact owned a 2013 Toyota Corolla. While driving approximately 20 mph, the contact crashed into the back of another vehicle. The air bags failed to deploy. The contact sustained a concussion that required medical attention. A police report was filed. The vehicle was destroyed. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was unknown.

- West Chester, OH, USA

Apr 192015

Corolla

The contact owns a 2013 Toyota Corolla. While driving 10 mph and attempting to avoid crashing into a vehicle, the contact crashed into a tree. The driver side air bag deployed, but did not inflate. The contact sustained injuries to the right leg, both shoulders, and neck. The contact did not seek medical attention. A police report was filed. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 40,000. MA 10/8

- Silver Spring, MD, USA

Feb 162014

Corolla 4-cyl

Our 2013 Toyota Corolla vehicle suddenly and without warning became stuck in a snow squall. The vehicle's headlights were on and driver was wearing a seatbelt, but also put on the vehicle's flashers to declare distress. A truck from the opposite direction apparently crossed over into my lane and hit my vehicle head on without warning. The 2013 Toyota Corolla's airbag did not deploy and driver of the 2013 Toyota Corolla (who was not driving as the vehicle was stuck in snow, but did still have her seatbelt on) required Transport via ambulance to hospital for laceration to lip/chin area requiring 25 stitches and was later diagnosed with rib fractures.

- Wells, ME, USA

Mar 012015

Corolla

There was a head-on collision with one vehicle (car) that spent my car around and I collided head-on again with another vehicle that was behind me. The airbags did not deploy after either collision. I hit the steering wheel and sustained injuries to my face (mouth, cheek, and nose).... updated 03/19/15....updated 04/08/15 updated 6/18/2015 11/4/2015........updated 12/17/15

- Montgomery, AL, USA

Oct 072014

Corolla

My 2013 Toyota Corolla was involved in a collision on 10/07/14, in which my son was driving the vehicle. The other driver made a illegal left turn in front of my son. The vehicle sustained massive front end damage. Majority of the front end was caved in, yet the airbag did not deploy. My son sustained some injuries and sought medical attention...updated 12/11/14 updated 06/2/2015

- Anaheim, CA, USA

Aug 272014

Corolla

The contact owns a 2013 Toyota Corolla. While driving 5 mph, the vehicle failed to stop when the brake pedal was depressed. As a result, the contact's vehicle crashed into another vehicle. The air bags failed to deploy. A police report was not filed and no injuries were reported. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the issue. The failure mileage was unknown.

- Westchester, CA, USA

Jul 302014

Corolla

On Wednesday, July 30, 2014 I was driving on I-5 South bound, just before cannon road exit. Traffic was going at 35-40 mph, however, at times coming to complete stops. Traffic was very slow ahead so I brake and came near a complete stop. I looked in the rearview mirror and noticed the car behind me approaching at a very high speed, I was constrained on both sides and unable to move to avoid an accident. The car rear-ended me at a high speed and within seconds pushed me at a high speed into the car in front of me, I did brace for the impact but the seatbelt never tensioned or locked and no airbags deployed in my vehicle even though my front end was impacted severely. I put my arms up and twisted my body to the left in order to protect myself. I used my own body as a protection. I am currently being treated for whiplash and shoulder pain due to no active or passive system in the car being deployed. I consider this a very serious safety concern and want to ensure it is addressed as soon as possible to prevent others from having to go through an accident with no active or passive restraints working...updated 12/09/15

- Oceanside, CA, USA

Jun 112014

Corolla

Toyota Corolla was traveling down the road at approx. 30 to 35 miles per hour, when another older small car came through an intersection and hit the Corolla on the driver side, smashing in the doors and causing the Corolla to spin around the intersection and face the opposite direction. Side doors and quarter panels were damaged as well as wheels, plus rear axle assembly was broken causing the rear passenger wheel to be bent at an angle. The car was not able to be driven from the scene. At the time of the accident no airbags were deployed. The driver of the vehicle was taken by ambulance to the hospital for injuries. Most injuries to the head, neck, arm, side and legs healed after three weeks, accept for a should injury causing difficulty in rotating arm. Further mris and or surgery may be needed if injury and inflammation does not heal. Concern is that airbags did not deploy, and that now with new sensors being added during the $10,000 repair job, concern is that the airbags themselves were defective.

- Brady, TX, USA

May 292014

Corolla 4-cyl

My vehicle was completely stop at the traffic light waiting for green light. Suddenly a vehicle hitting me from behind and causing me to hit another vehicle in front. A total of 3 vehicles involved in this accident and my vehicle was in the middle. The impact was so severe resulting in (1) near total loss both front and rear of my vehicle; and (2) bodily injures. As a result of this severe impact, this vehicle is no longer able to drive and had to be tolled by a toll truck. Furthermore, none of the airbags in this vehicle (2013 Corolla) were deployed as a result from this severe accident. This vehicle was purchased brand new within the past 6-month from a local dealership.

- San Gabriel, CA, USA

May 292014

Corolla 4-cyl

My vehicle was at full stop at the traffic light waiting for green light. Suddenly a vehicle hitting me from behind and causing me to hit another car in front. A total of 3 vehicles involved in this accident and my vehicle was in the middle. The impact was so severe resulting in (1) near total loss both front and rear of my vehicle; and (2) bodily injures. As a result of this severe impact, this vehicle is not longer able to drive and was tolled by a toll truck. Moreover, none of the airbags in this vehicle (2013 Corolla) were deployed as a result from this severe accident. This vehicle was purchased brand new within the past 6-month from a local dealership.

- San Gabriel, CA, USA

Mar 102014

Corolla 4-cyl

I was standing in a cross over awaiting to make a left hand turn when traffic cleared. A woman swerved to miss hitting a car and T-boned me in the drivers side of the car. My head flew to the right, than to the left, my head hit the car frame of the door on the left and then the airbag deployed. The airbag was delayed in going off which resulted in my head hitting the car frame, the airbag blew off in my ear and I have lost my hearing in my left ear permanently.

- La Vergne, TN, USA

Apr 012014

Corolla 4-cyl

2003 Toyota Corolla. Consumer writes in regards to supplement restraint system and electronic control module recalls. The consumer believed the repair shop and Toyota motor company, failed to remedy 2 a safety recalls on her vehicle. The consumer took her vehicle to the repair shop, when she retrieved her vehicle, she was informed one of the recalls could not be completed because the technician was ill, and she would have to make another appointment. She made another appointment, and when she returned to get the vehicle, she was informed again, the only tech, who could perform the recall, did not come in. She made another appointment. However, she received call saying not to come in, because the technician was absent again. The consumer called another dealer, and according to their computer, both recalls had been performed.

- Minot, ND, USA

Nov 232012

Corolla 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2013 Toyota Corolla. The contact stated that while driving approximately 15 mph, another vehicle crashed into the front driver's side of the contact's vehicle. The air bags failed to deploy. The contact sustained head injuries and the passenger sustained a hematoma from injuries caused by the safety belt. A police report was filed of the incident. The vehicle was towed to a repair shop but the cause of the failure was not determined. The vehicle was destroyed. The approximate failure mileage was 1000.

- Hyattsville, MD, USA

Jan 142014

Corolla 4-cyl

I involved in a car accident in January 14 /2014 with a Toyota Corolla 2013 le. The impact was damaged all front of the car (in both side) until the engine, the vehicle has multiple air bag on it, none of them deployed during that total loss.

- Huntington, NY, USA

Jan 102014

Corolla 4-cyl

I was attempting to make a left turn, a car was speeding and tboned me spun me 180 degrees. No air bag deployment, car totaled by insurance company. Seat belt did not lock. Suffered concussion and personal injury to head, right shoulder, back and neck.

- Simpsonville, SC, USA

Dec 032013

Corolla

I stopped on a slow going traffic on a highway.suddenly, a Ford Explorer hit me on the back trunk and rear glass damaged suddenly and pushed my car to hit the car in front of me. It damaged the front badly. If I have passengers in the back, it will hurt them badly or sudden death because of the back is not strong which cause the glasses to break and bend the trunk and sun roof. The air bag did not pop up. It is not safe!! my head, neck, back, spinal cord were painful. There were no damage on the Ford Explorer. Toyota was easily damage and rolled/pushed to the front car. Please tested the back/trunk/bumper/airbag. Recently about 5 months ago, my 2006 Corolla was hit behind from a Honda Accord that was going 5mph after making a stop at a stoplight. My car was badly damaged at the bumper and head lights, while the other car was hardly damaged. This is the 3rd accidents in 4 month with Corolla body parts. After these accidents, I do not want to own another Toyota!! I'm scared for my life.

- Livermore, CA, USA