2014 Toyota Corolla drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2014 Toyota Corolla:

2014 Toyota Corolla Owner Comments

Oct 122014

The contact owns a 2014 Toyota Corolla. The contact stated that when the vehicle inclines, the vehicle would fail to accelerate and rolled backward. The failure recurred three times. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the transmission was bad designed and the failure could not be repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 15,000.

- Guaynabo, PR, USA

Jun 192016

On 6/19/2016 driving home from running errands, I stopped at at red light but when the light turned green, the car didn't budge even though I was tapping and pressing the pedal. After about 7-8 seconds, the car finally responded and started slowly rolling to normal speed. On the same trip and the last intersection, the car did this again but at a stop sign. The gas pedal was dead when coming out of a complete stop. It took another 7-8 seconds for the engine/transmission to recognize it was time to roll. Luckily there was no cross traffic because I could have easily been hit due to cruising at 5 miles per hour. I'm taking the car tomorrow to the dealer. The car currently has 24,000 miles on it and this is the second time this has occurred. The first time this hesitation happened was in 2015 around the 12,000 mile mark. The car was at stop and didn't do anything for a few seconds when I hit the gas pedal. I took it to the dealer and the dealer could not duplicate the problem. I told them everything that happened and why I took it. This time they sent a service manager with me for a test drive and he said it felt fine. I was sent home with their assurance that the car was fine and that it was a fluke that the engine was acting up but everything was fine. I've read forums where this has happened with other Corollas and Camry. This is dangerous and is an accident waiting to happen. I hope Toyota takes responsibilities with my car and other cars with the same issue. NHTSA, please do something before this transmission/acceleration issue becomes a real safety issue. I have video on my cell phone of the car acting erratic.

- Fontana, CA, USA

Aug 292014

Corolla 4-cyl

When slowing and then attempting to accelerate, the engine would seem to stall almost like a dead spot. Then when depressing the gas pedal several times the engine would catch and jump forward. Almost hitting the vehicle in front of us. Toyota dealership tells us this hesitation is absolutely normal, due to a new transmission system on the 2014 Corolla... on several occasions this so called hesitation lasted several seconds during which time we had no movement what so ever...with this condition cars could hit us in the back cause we are momentarily stalled!!!poor performance and a safety issue!

- Douglassville, PA, USA

Aug 292014

Corolla 4-cyl

A whistling noise coming from the transmission I took the car in and the dealer told me the it was the trans. So they change the trans. With a new and the same thing the dealer told me the Toyota knows about the problem my car has been in the shop five times for this problem and still to this day no fix for it. The whistling sound starts in any gear and is very loud and this is a (new car). This is a 2014 Toyota Corolla sounding like this. I'm afraid that the trans. May stop pulling while I'm driving in traffic which could cause and accident.

- Acworth, GA, USA

Jul 012014

I put the car in reverse to park. Suddenly, the car jumped into drive, went forward and hit a parked car.

- Whitestone, NY, USA

Mar 172014

Corolla 4-cyl

I was driving my Corolla S plus 2014 on el camino real, san mateo, ca southbound just past hillsdale blvd, when the engine became very noisy. I looked at the instrument panel and found the followings data: 1) RPM meter - 3500 2) speedometer - 30mph 3) lcd display - eco bar gone the car behaved the same even when I took my foot completely off the accelerator pedal. Transmission defect and/or computer malfunction? luckily I was able to pull my car to the roadside and braked to a stop. I turned the engine off. After 2-3 minutes, I started the engine and all returned to normal. The exact same happening occurred to me just 2 days later on March 19, 2014. It could be very scary if the engine suddenly revs up and the car speeds up at the same time. I wonder if other owners of 2014 Corolla have similar experiences. If so, this is something that has to be investigated.

- Redwood City, CA, USA

Feb 242014

The contact owns a 2014 Toyota Corolla. The contact stated that while driving approximately 15 mph, the engine roared abnormally loud. The contact indicated that the engine rpms suddenly increased to approximately 4000 and would not decrease until after the accelerator pedal was depressed. The contact stopped the vehicle and after three minutes, the engine rpms decreased. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 3300.

- Fountain Valley, CA, USA

Jan 212014

Corolla 4-cyl

After being driven for less than 200 miles of being received from dealership for a defective cvt transmission replacement, difficulties to keep the car going straight suddenly appeared, trying to do so caused it to pull the opposite during a Suburban trip in a high speed way, so had to be driven to a safer place, (getting worse rapidly), and making clunking metallic noises on the front end when turning at corners and braking, and a loud humming noise when braking from highway speed (appeared at the same time and as sudden as the steering situation) to a full stop or from highway speed to a sudden lower one due to congestion. All this happened to appear on this last trip. Had to be towed back to the dealership. Condition showed up during a continuous rainy condition, perceived like a total loss of front end alignment, plus the noises. As of the writing of this message, just a few hours have passed after the incident happened, but because of the potentially dangerous "collision situation " experienced, due the speed of the highway in which this condition suddenly appeared (nothing warned about something wrong going before) is this report being sent. Maybe caused by or related to the procedure executed during the previous cvt transmission replacement, (my opinion) has not yet been diagnosed by the dealership.

- Coral Gables, FL, USA

Jan 132014

Corolla 4-cyl

Cvt transmission making erratic ratio corrections when car was being driven at low speed which made the car literally jump at some speeds (0-30 mph) making it difficult to drive for in ex. A traffic jam (stop and go) and loose power when climbing for in ex. Parking places that had ramps (0-5 mph) due to erratic upshift ratio corrections that forces pressing the accelerator pedal to be able to keep the car climbing the ramps causing erratic jumps/speeds/pulls and sometimes the engine to backfire when climbing. Car also had noticeable jumps when braking to a full stop condition from any speed. Tested by dealership, diagnosed and replaced the cvt transmission with a remanufactured unit, got it back after 4 days. Right after driving it out of the dealer who supposedly took care of the 5K miles maintenance as well, maintenance required soon indicator started to light every time the car is started. This condition could increase the chance of an accident when driven under those circumstances due to erratic/unexpected speed variations. Trac off & check engine light came on barely for a day even though the malfunction was present and were off when the car was left for the repair in the dealer, even though the condition started at least 10 days before as an intermittent situation, getting worse at days, not present during normal to hard acceleration but had to be taken to the dealership before the appointment due to worsening of the drivability, but the gauges never lighted up, but for a while, the day before it was taken to the dealer, which may indicate that due to the nature of the problem the on boad diagnostics systems may not alert a driver of the malfunction, even though is present, which may be causing those cars being driven by unexperienced owners/drivers with that fault being present increasing chances of having a accident, fortunately at low speeds.

- Coral Gables, FL, USA