2014 Toyota Corolla engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2014 Toyota Corolla:

2014 Toyota Corolla Owner Comments

Jun 192016

Corolla

On 6/19/2016 driving home from running errands, I stopped at at red light but when the light turned green, the car didn't budge even though I was tapping and pressing the pedal. After about 7-8 seconds, the car finally responded and started slowly rolling to normal speed. On the same trip and the last intersection, the car did this again but at a stop sign. The gas pedal was dead when coming out of a complete stop. It took another 7-8 seconds for the engine/transmission to recognize it was time to roll. Luckily there was no cross traffic because I could have easily been hit due to cruising at 5 miles per hour. I'm taking the car tomorrow to the dealer. The car currently has 24,000 miles on it and this is the second time this has occurred. The first time this hesitation happened was in 2015 around the 12,000 mile mark. The car was at stop and didn't do anything for a few seconds when I hit the gas pedal. I took it to the dealer and the dealer could not duplicate the problem. I told them everything that happened and why I took it. This time they sent a service manager with me for a test drive and he said it felt fine. I was sent home with their assurance that the car was fine and that it was a fluke that the engine was acting up but everything was fine. I've read forums where this has happened with other Corollas and Camry. This is dangerous and is an accident waiting to happen. I hope Toyota takes responsibilities with my car and other cars with the same issue. NHTSA, please do something before this transmission/acceleration issue becomes a real safety issue. I have video on my cell phone of the car acting erratic.

- Fontana, CA, USA

Oct 142015

Corolla

I have attempted for the last 14 months to get a noise fixed when my car starts up. I have made 10 repair efforts with Toyota and Toyota corporate. I have filed lemon law on my car and Toyota has sent me letters twice stating they have reviewed my repair orders, inspected the car, and it is working as designed. While the letters are being sent to me I have open appointments to get the car repaired for this issue. I called the Toyota field rep and he stated that my case is closed because they do not know what is wrong with my car. The noise happens when starting the car after it has been sitting for at least 20 minutes. It sounds like something is broken inside the engine. On the last trip to the dealership Toyota replaced the starter on my car and it did not resolve the issue. I am very concerned that something is wrong with the engine itself in my car since the starter has been replaced. I am afraid my car is going to stall out on me while driving causing me to have an accident. I have recorded sounds of the noise occurring and I would like to submit them when I am contacted.

- Castle Rock, CO, USA

Apr 302015

Corolla

The contact owns a 2014 Toyota Corolla. While driving approximately 15 mph and attempting to accelerate, the engine warning light illuminated and the vehicle began to decelerate. The contact had to gently depress the accelerator pedal in order to increase the speed; however, when the accelerator pedal was depressed with force, the vehicle's speed decreased. The failure recurred on several occasions. The vehicle was taken to the dealer and was diagnosed that the ECM software needed to be updated. The software was updated. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 27,500.

- Dallas, OR, USA

Jan 192015

Corolla 4-cyl

Pulled left into parking area, car accelerated very fast, went over 4-6" berm. I hit the brake, car stopped. Backed down off berm, didn't do damage. Took car to Toyota, report done and an analysis. Determined "unintended acceleration...pedal misapplication". not convinced that's what happened especially after reading other similar complaints. Feel there is a defect in car, further investigation is needed.

- Erie, PA, USA

Jan 232015

Corolla 4-cyl

This am I hit a deer on the way to work head on at 65-67 mph and not one air bag deployed!!! the entire front end crumpled to the windshield area and the radiator and parts torn lose to the top of engine and not one air bag deployed. Everyone at the wreck could not believe it and now I am terrified of the car if direct contact at that speed does not open the safety equipment what will? this car is not safe.

- Hillister, TX, USA

Dec 032014

Corolla 4-cyl

My check engine light came on. I also notice when attempting to slow down, the car would accelerate. The engine would seem to stall almost like a dead spot. Then when depressing the gas pedal several times the engine would catch and jump forward. Almost hitting the vehicle in front of us. This car accelerates at times when braking and hesitates when pressing on the gas. I also noticed when I was stopped at a light, the car moved backwards after taking my feet off the brakes. It could've hit the car in back of us. I asked the sale lady, if this car was apart of the recall and she told me that if it was the dealership would have to fix it before they sold it. I had the car for less than 2 weeks. I hope this car doesn't cause my family and someone else's family harm. Big safety issue! big safety issue!

- Warren, MI, USA

Nov 272014

Corolla

I was pulling into my driveway at 1 mile per hour and I put my foot on the brake to stop my car and it wouldn't stop! the engine revved up and my car went through my fence into my backyard. I tried in vain to stop my car, I kept pressing down on my brake, (5 times) with no success. I finally put my automatic transmission into park and it finally came to a stop. I was extremely shaken up since I thought I was going to die! I checked my car for damages, I noticed that my passenger side view mirror was damaged and there was other damage under my car. My car is only 3 months old and has 950 miles on it. I have been driving for over 30 years and I have never encountered anything like this. This happened on November 27, 2014, thanksgiving day at 10:00 am. The weather conditions were cloudy with a temperature of 34 degrees.

- Jackson, NJ, USA

Mar 172014

Corolla 4-cyl

I was driving my Corolla S plus 2014 on el camino real, san mateo, ca southbound just past hillsdale blvd, when the engine became very noisy. I looked at the instrument panel and found the followings data: 1) RPM meter - 3500 2) speedometer - 30mph 3) lcd display - eco bar gone the car behaved the same even when I took my foot completely off the accelerator pedal. Transmission defect and/or computer malfunction? luckily I was able to pull my car to the roadside and braked to a stop. I turned the engine off. After 2-3 minutes, I started the engine and all returned to normal. The exact same happening occurred to me just 2 days later on March 19, 2014. It could be very scary if the engine suddenly revs up and the car speeds up at the same time. I wonder if other owners of 2014 Corolla have similar experiences. If so, this is something that has to be investigated.

- Redwood City, CA, USA