2014 Toyota Corolla engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2014 Toyota Corolla:

2014 Toyota Corolla Owner Comments

Sep 282016

Corolla 4-cyl

I was driving my car on a crowded city street. It was rush hour and the traffic was sort of stop and go. After a stop, I accelerated my car to about 25 M/H following the car before me, then I noticed my car is going faster than I intended and approaching the car ahead. I applied the brakes in a normal manner, however, the car did not slow down and continued to accelerate. Feeling something was wrong, I slammed on the brakes, but it was not early enough to stop before rear-ending the car. Even after the crash and stop, my car's engine was continuing revving up until I turned off the engine by turning the key. I had a dash cam on my Corolla and the accident was recorded with clear movie and sound.

- Anaheim, CA, USA

Jun 192016

Corolla

On 6/19/2016 driving home from running errands, I stopped at at red light but when the light turned green, the car didn't budge even though I was tapping and pressing the pedal. After about 7-8 seconds, the car finally responded and started slowly rolling to normal speed. On the same trip and the last intersection, the car did this again but at a stop sign. The gas pedal was dead when coming out of a complete stop. It took another 7-8 seconds for the engine/transmission to recognize it was time to roll. Luckily there was no cross traffic because I could have easily been hit due to cruising at 5 miles per hour. I'm taking the car tomorrow to the dealer. The car currently has 24,000 miles on it and this is the second time this has occurred. The first time this hesitation happened was in 2015 around the 12,000 mile mark. The car was at stop and didn't do anything for a few seconds when I hit the gas pedal. I took it to the dealer and the dealer could not duplicate the problem. I told them everything that happened and why I took it. This time they sent a service manager with me for a test drive and he said it felt fine. I was sent home with their assurance that the car was fine and that it was a fluke that the engine was acting up but everything was fine. I've read forums where this has happened with other Corollas and Camry. This is dangerous and is an accident waiting to happen. I hope Toyota takes responsibilities with my car and other cars with the same issue. NHTSA, please do something before this transmission/acceleration issue becomes a real safety issue. I have video on my cell phone of the car acting erratic.

- Fontana, CA, USA

Feb 162016

Corolla

When I was driving at night with headlights on, with cruise control on, the car accelerated by itself upto the speed of 85 mph even though I set cruise at 65 mph. I tried this multiple times and all the time it went up to 85 mph and stayed there even though I set it for lower speed. This seems to be happening while the headlights are on. I have drove with cruise on, in the daytime and it works fine. Since then, I have never drove this with cruise on at night.

- Tempe, AZ, USA

Jan 152014

Corolla

The car sometimes has a hesitation problem from a dead stop; especially when making a left turn. This creates a scary situation due to I never know when it's going to happen so I have to wait quite awhile for oncoming traffic to spread out much further then normal (about 50 car lengths) sometimes this is not practical so I have to chance it & hope not to get broadsided. The dealership is of no help & I doubt if they have written it down the 2 times I reported it. This problem has happened over 50 times over the last 21 months & started in month # 1. the dealership said that Toyota had a new style transmission & that might be the problem but that is doubtful because the engine RPM's don't come up. The symptoms appear to be a fuel starving problem.

- Lake Mary, FL, USA

Nov 192015

Corolla

The contact owns a 2014 Toyota Corolla. While pulling into a parking space, the vehicle acclerated and crashed into a cement brick structure when the brake pedal was depressed. The vehicle landed on top of the cement brick structure, which caused the front driver side tire to explode. The air bags did not deploy. The vehicle was towed to the contact's residence where it was not diagnosed or repaired. A police report was filed and there were no injuries reported. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 12,300. Updated 02/12/16

- Roswell, NM, USA

Jan 312015

Corolla

The contact owns a 2014 Toyota Corolla. While driving 20 mph, the vehicle accelerated rapidly without warning. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The failure mileage was 5,020.

- Tigard, OR, USA

Sep 292015

Corolla

The contact owns a 2014 Toyota Corolla. While driving 45 mph, the vehicle accelerated without warning and crashed into another vehicle. There were no injuries and a police report was not filed. The vehicle was taken to the dealer, but was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was not available.

- Boynton Beach, FL, USA

Aug 222015

Corolla

The contact owns a 2014 Toyota Corolla. While the brake pedal was depressed, the vehicle experienced unintended acceleration without warning. The vehicle was taken to the dealer. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 24,900. MA 10/14

- Milton, WV, USA

Apr 302015

Corolla

The contact owned a 2014 Toyota Corolla. While driving around a mall parking lot, the accelerator pedal was depressed and the vehicle violently accelerated. The brakes failed to stop the vehicle and it crashed into a boulder. The contact sustained a fractured sternum and a fractured back that required medical attention. A police report was filed. The vehicle was destroyed. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 200,000.

- Chelby Towp, MI, USA

Jan 172014

Corolla

TL-the contact owns a 2014 Toyota Corolla. The contact stated that while driving at 20 mph, the vehicle accelerated independently. The contact had to apply excessive force to the brake pedal in order to stop the vehicle. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 99. Djr

- Tigard , OR, USA

Nov 012013

Corolla

The contact owns a 2014 Toyota Corolla. The contact stated that the vehicle experienced unintended acceleration several times. The engine surged and the vehicle proceeded to accelerate with the brake pedal depressed, which led to two crashes. During the first crash, the vehicle surged in reverse and accelerated with the brake pedal depressed and crashed into a tree. When the gear was placed into drive, the engine continued to surge and the vehicle crashed into the wall of a house. The second crash occurred while attempting to park. The engine surged and the vehicle proceeded to crash into the garage wall. The contact did not suffer any injuries. The dealer inspected the vehicle and advised that the vehicle was operating as normal. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 48.

- Cumberland Center , ME, USA

Nov 272014

Corolla

The contact owns a 2014 Toyota Corolla. The contact stated that while driving at approximately 2 mph, the vehicle accelerated independently. As a result, the contact crashed into a fence. The contact mentioned that the brakes failed to respond and the vehicle was shifted to park in order to stop the vehicle. The vehicle was towed to the dealer but was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 951.

- Jackson, NJ, USA

Dec 172014

Corolla

I was making a right turn pulling into a parking space in a shopping mall. I was approximately 1/2 to 3/4 of the way in when the vehicle took off and went into a tree and then a wall. I would guess the vehicle traveled approximately 40 feet after the sudden and unintended acceleration. This definitely was sudden and unintended acceleration. The front end of the vehicle was damaged by the tree and the wall the air bag did not deploy.

- Boynton Beach , FL, USA

Jun 062011

Corolla 4-cyl

In June 6, 2011 I had a crash because my Toyota Corolla suddenly accelerated as I was turning into a parking spot. Toyota had the car inspected in house and claimed there was no defect in the cars systems. I filed a report with the NHTSA to no avail. Just recently on December 13th & December 14th, 2014 the same thing happened. The car suddenly accelerated as I was turning into parking spots. I am positive there is a defect in the car. I am afraid I may be killed or injured with this sudden unintended acceleration.

- Miami, FL, USA

Jun 022014

Corolla 4-cyl

2014 Toyota Corolla. Consumer writes in regards to engine and steering wheel issues. The consumer was unable to start the engine due to the steering wheel being in the locked position. The ignition key would not turn. The dealer informed the consumer, the steering wheel self locked, and he would have to wiggle the steering wheel left to right. The consumer stated the vehicle suddenly started to accelerate to a seemingly uncontrolled speed. The consumer applied the brake and lowered the gear to its lowest ratio, but with little effect to control the seemingly ever increasing speed of the vehicle. The consumer managed to navigate several short radius curves and tore down the slope road toward a main commuter roadway. The vehicle was speeding out of control and unfortunately he hit a commercial van. The consumer finally managed to get the vehicle stopped. However, the engine was still running. The vehicle was placed in parked. The vehicle was towed to the dealer. Updated 10/28/15.

- Sherman Oaks, CA, USA

Nov 112013

Corolla

The contact owns a 2014 Toyota Corolla. While driving at low speeds, the brakes failed to stop the vehicle and it suddenly accelerated independently. The failure occurred on several occasions. The vehicle was taken to a dealer. The technician was unable to duplicate the failure. The manufacturer was notified of the issue. The approximate failure mileage was 100.

- Cumberland Center , ME, USA

Sep 302014

Corolla 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2014 Toyota Corolla. While attempting to park at 10 mph, the vehicle surged forward independently and crashed into another vehicle. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 13,462...updated 12/03/14

- Solana Beach, CA, USA

Jul 032014

Corolla

I was pulling into a parking space & slowing down. I turned left into the space and, of course, had my foot on the brake and my car suddenly accelerated on it's own. I kept pushing on the brake but it kept going. The higher than usual curb at the shopping center, I suppose, is what stopped the car, though my foot repeatedly kept pushing the brake. I tried to drive it home but it was not working. We had it towed to Toyota in rockwall. They had someone look at it. The person that looked at it called my home to get my story but asked my husband what took place. I didn't get the message till the next day. When I was getting ready to call him back, my husband told me that he called and said he did not need to talk to me. How can you legitimately tell me what I say happened did not happen when you haven't even talked to me. I was the only one in the car, not my husband. They checked out the "black box" I suppose and sent me a very nice letter basically telling me what I told my husband happened, did not happen. I do not lie. I was there and I know what happened. I was very disappointed in the way that this was handled. I felt like how could I even fight this, Toyota is a big corporation. I am just one person who had an incident with one of their vehicles. It would be my word against theirs. I appreciate NHTSA taking the time to hear my side of what happened. My husband and I are fans of Toyota vehicles. I have several Camry and my husband presently drives a prius and a Tundra so again, we are very disappointed in the way that this was handled.

- Rockwall, TX, USA

Mar 172014

Corolla 4-cyl

I was driving my Corolla S plus 2014 on el camino real, san mateo, ca southbound just past hillsdale blvd, when the engine became very noisy. I looked at the instrument panel and found the followings data: 1) RPM meter - 3500 2) speedometer - 30mph 3) lcd display - eco bar gone the car behaved the same even when I took my foot completely off the accelerator pedal. Transmission defect and/or computer malfunction? luckily I was able to pull my car to the roadside and braked to a stop. I turned the engine off. After 2-3 minutes, I started the engine and all returned to normal. The exact same happening occurred to me just 2 days later on March 19, 2014. It could be very scary if the engine suddenly revs up and the car speeds up at the same time. I wonder if other owners of 2014 Corolla have similar experiences. If so, this is something that has to be investigated.

- Redwood City, CA, USA