2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser body / paint problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser:

2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Mar 142012

FJ Cruiser

The driver foot rest (dead pedal) on this car brakes loose easily and becomes a loose object under and around the driver foot pedals. I had mind come loose while driving and didn't realize it until I attemped to stop my car and was unable to depress the brake pedal because the broken foot rest had lodged it's self under the brake pedal after braking loose. I ended up having to swerve around the car in front of me on the highway to avoid an accident, before stopping with the E-brake on the side of the highway. Extremely dangerous!

- Cloverdale, CA, USA

Aug 012013

FJ Cruiser 4WD 6-cyl

2007 Toyota Fj cruiser. Consumer writes in regards to vehicle poor driving visibility and other multiple defects. The consumer stated he had difficulty seeing oncoming traffic at intersections. It appeared the decision to go with a half door on the vehicle with a short frame was the root cause of the poor visibility. Also, the inability to exit the vehicle from the back seat on the passenger side, was impossible without the front passenger opening the front passenger door first. The consumer also stated space left between the end of the roof and the beginning of the rear door drained so poorly that leaves and other natural debris would build up to the point that, when it rained, water would leak into the cargo area. Also, despite the claimed gas mileage reported on the window sticker (20 mpg) the consumer never achieved more than 17.1 mpg, even though the bulk of his driving was done on the highway.

- Monticello, NY, USA

Mar 292013

FJ Cruiser 6-cyl

The driver's left foot rest came loose and went under the brake pedal. I was able to clear the pedal before braking. I think this could be a wide-spread issue after looking at several internet posts.

- Heath, TX, USA

Nov 172011

FJ Cruiser

The left foot rest fell off while driving and almost got stuck underneath the brake pedal.

- Portland, OR, USA

May 142010

FJ Cruiser

05-14-2010 I have been very concerned about this fender bulge and /cracking problem on the fj's. well it was my turn, a bulge right there on the drivers side crumple zone. Lets face it, if the crumple zone is already crumpled before you get in an accident, how is it going to help you if you get into an accident. I took it to the dealer, they contacted the fts, field technician specialist. The fts wanted to see if the fj to see if it was stock. I did have one modification. After reading everything I could get my hands from the forums members on this subject I decided to have a readylift® leveling kit, installed in the front only to prevent the tires from hitting the inter fender wells. The lift only raised the front 2.25 inches and the drive remained the same. Any modification problems that Toyota may have a problem with can be handled with a copy of the magnuson ¿ moss warranty act of 1975. The field technician specialist checked out bulge on the driver's side crumple and they verified front inner fender was bulged and recommend the replacement of the right & left front inner fenders. 06-28-2010 I got the fj back from the body shop on Thursday the 24th. Both the apron sub-assemblies & reinforcement sub-assemblies were replaced. Under the hood I couldn't even tell if it was worked on. After all that I have read and the folks I have talked to I¿M glad Toyota stepped up to the plate and fixed the problem. Let's hope it stays fixed.

- Placentia, CA, USA

Nov 262009

FJ Cruiser

The Toyota Fj cruiser develops bulges in the engine bay over time with normal driving. These are in the crumple zones and eventually rip. Toyota fails to fix this to spite having hundreds of documented cases. Mine is one of them. www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/Toyota-fj-cruiser-polls/37556-do-you-have-inner-fender-bulges-cracking.html.

- Salt Lake City, UT, USA

Aug 242009

FJ Cruiser

Defective paint. Excessive chipping of paint on the vehicle. Especially around the front window and side panels. Not due to rocks. Looks like polka dots all over.

- Denver, CO, USA

Jun 122009

FJ Cruiser

2007 Fj cruiser has a crack on the inner fender, also referred to as an engine bay body rip. This vehicle has not been in an accident. The crack was noticed at around 39,500 miles, but may have been there earlier. No corrective parts have been installed.

- Pahoa, HI, USA

Dec 012006

FJ Cruiser

Beginning at about 2 months the paint on my vehicle started coming off. My friend has the same vehicle but 2 weeks older & has the same problem. The paint has gotten progressively worse and now my car is rusting. My friend also has rust spots on his car.

- Denver, CO, USA

Apr 052009

FJ Cruiser

The paint has been dramatically chipping off of my 2007 Fj cruiser. This was brought to the dealerships and Toyota regional managers attention immediately and it has been over a year and a half of unreturned phone calls, missed appointments and being dismissed.

- Cumberland , ME, USA

Jan 232009

FJ Cruiser

Fender apron tears and bulges in the engine bay of my Fj cruiser.

- Hesperia, CA, USA

Dec 172008

FJ Cruiser

2007 Fj cruiser was serviced by big island Toyota multiple times in 2008. February 11, 2008 - 31649 miles ¿ 30,000 mile service, includes under vehicles inspection. April 16, 2008 - 33007 miles ¿ safety check inspection, spark plug replacement, cabin filter replacement August 20, 2008 - 34418 miles ¿ stereo inspection for warranty issue August 27, 2008 ¿ 34582 miles - warranty replacement of broken stereo the February 11 service states the following parts under vehicle were marked "checked and okay": shock absorbers / suspension steering gear box / linkage and boots / ball joints / dust covers muffler / exhaust pipes / mountings engine oil and fluid leaks brake lines / hoses / parking brake cable drive shaft boots / constant velocity boots / U-joints / transmission linkage transmission / differential / transfer case fuel lines and connections / fuel tank band / fuel tank vapor vent system hoses inspect nuts and bolts on body chassis the April 16 service marked all components as app'd, including multiple components that would have required the technician to be under the vehicle. We chose big island Toyota to perform our service as we were under the impression that we were getting the best service for our Toyota vehicle. The corrosion discovered in December was so complete that there was no way it wasn't present during previous services and Toyota did not point it out when they were under the vehicle. Neglecting to call attention to the problem during previous paid services prevented us from being able to address the corrosion issue before parts began to fall off and perforate the frame. At this point big island Toyota has declared that the vehicle has no value whatsoever and they will no longer provide service to us at the dealership.

- Pahoa, HI, USA

Oct 012006

FJ Cruiser

Left and right side inner metal fenders are tearing and bulging.

- Lake Forest, CA, USA

Jan 132008

FJ Cruiser

My complaint has to do with the paint! I have repeatedly gone into Toyota to have them deal with this chipping problem. They have fixed chips only on the uprights beside the window. The chipping is occurring on all parts of the vehicle, on flat surfaces such as the hood and right and left sides. To date I have over 200 chips with 60,000 km - I have over 300,000 km on a 1997 Ford that has been driven in the same conditions that has 1/20 the chips. There is a problem with the maroon paint on this Fj cruiser. It is not going away and it appears to be a problem with the bond between the paint and the primer as best I can tell.

- Calgary, 00, USA

Sep 152008

FJ Cruiser

My 2007 Toyota Fj cruiser developed two, under the hood, wheel well/inner fender cracks, at the crumple dimples. The vehicle exhibited the body cracks at 18,000 miles. Each crack, one on the left and right, directly above each upper wheel well, where attached to the inner fender, are about 4" long and 1/16"-1/8" wide. I took the truck to Toyota where, without batting an eye, sent the truck to a body shop and replaced both the left and right inner fender assembly. This was a very major repair, costing Toyota about $8K in materials and labor. I am very concerned that this problem will reappear, after my warranty expires at 36,000 miles. I do not sport off-road this truck.

- Oakland, CA, USA

Jan 012007

FJ Cruiser

Chipping paint all over Toyota Fj cruiser and windshield looks pitted. Talked to service department and was told that their wasn't a problem with the paint.

- Katy, TX, USA

Jun 212008

FJ Cruiser

Paint failure is immediate. Vehicle is a Toyota 2007 Fj cruiser. Car was parked under mesquite tree for shade. Tree sap from tree caused paint to immediately bubble and crack and come off. Literally everywhere drop hits body and bumper is damaged, approximately 50 spots or more. Paint releases completely to primer.

- Bishop, TX, USA

Mar 152008

FJ Cruiser

Inner fender aprons have cracked in under 20-K miles. This requires extensive repair dismantling the entire front end and removal of the dash. I will be left with the equivalent of a vehicle that has suffered a serious front end collision, complete with accelerated rust in weld areas, specifically around the firewall. A complete buy-back should be the remedy for such a serious & significant design flaw that Toyota should have been aware of since the same failures occurred on the australia sold "prado" (which uses the same platform as the american Fj cruiser).

- Edgewater, NJ, USA

Apr 202008

FJ Cruiser 4WD 6-cyl

Paint is chipping all over car. Car is 2007 fj. By Toyota. I have never had this happen on another car.

- Bellerose, NY, USA