3.0

2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser:

2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser Owner Comments

Oct 032014

FJ Cruiser 4WD 6-cyl

I was driving on a divided highway with dirt shoulders at the posted speed (65 mph) and as an 18 wheeler past me at a high rate of speed, it forced me off of the right hand shoulder. The drop of the asphalt to the shoulder caused the steering to shake violently and I found myself into the shoulder and forced into a 180 degree spin. The steering on the fj has been horrible since 95,000 to 100,000 miles and started at around 75,000. I have spoke to many fj and Tacoma owners with the same problem and read in multiple forums and blogs regarding this issue. There are home brewed remedies for it but I believe it is an issue that Toyota should address.

- Kingman , AZ, USA

Nov 232011

FJ Cruiser

Steering shakes at speeds at and above 35 mph, I had the dealer look at it and they say it is okay. It has pretty much been there for the past year, I had a 93 land cruiser with 253000 miles that did not have steering wheel shake like the fj does.

- Camas, WA, USA

Sep 152012

FJ Cruiser 4-cyl

While driving my certified pre-owned fj at 65mph, I experience significant steering wheel shimmy where the steering wheel oscillated left and right at least15 degrees in each direction. As soon as vehicle speed dropped to 64mph, the oscillation stopped. This is repeatable. The vehicle has stock wheels and tires.

- Las Vegas, NV, USA

Jun 222012

FJ Cruiser 6-cyl

Since late June of 2012, my trd Fj cruiser has had serious steering wheel shake at about 62 miles an hour. It seems as though the steering wheel vibrates slightly between 55-60 and 65-70 but experiences peak shake at about 62 exactly. The shake in the steering is incredibly vigorous and makes me concerned for the safety of the vehicle. I have spoken with mechanics at my local truck shop and they do not know what the problem could be as the suspension is not significantly raised and the wheels are in good shape with a recent alignment. The steering also the steering lists to the right noticeably when at its full vibration speed (62 mph).

- Ridgefield, CT, USA

Aug 092012

FJ Cruiser

When you get above 55 the steering wheel begins to shake and also when braking.

- Hooper, UT, USA

Jul 312012

FJ Cruiser 6-cyl

Once vehicle is cruising on highway at speeds between 55-70mph, steering wheel shakes uncontrollably. Have had the tires swapped, rotated and balanced at different business and still have same issue. Dealership says everything is fine. Did a test drive with them and it shook and still said everything was fine.

- Littleton, CO, USA

Apr 102010

FJ Cruiser

I currently own a 2007 Toyota Fj cruiser and have experienced problems with the ABS braking system. As of yet it has not caused an accident in my vehicle, but sooner or later someone will be killed if this problem is not corrected. When coming to a stop and applying the brakes if you should happen to hit a rut in the road you seem to loose your ABS and the vehicle begins to act very erratic until you come to a complete stop, almost to the point of losing control of the steering. This has happened to my vehicle at least a dozen or more times in the 2 1/2 years I've owned it.

- West Grove, PA, USA

Mar 032010

FJ Cruiser

I have a 2007 Toyota fj. The steering seems terribly weak and unpredictable. It drives like a vehicle that has tens of thousands of miles on it, but the steering has been like this since I purchased it. I've had the wheels aligned three times, but the problem continues. Toyota says the there is no issue but that the steering on this style vehicle is just sensitive. While I really enjoy the vehicle, I'm always on full alert when driving knowing that at any given time, the steering may suddenly take the vehicle left or right with no predictability. I've driven a large number of SUVS and pickup trucks. I have never experienced a newer vehicle that requires so much attention to the steering. It may go left or right when the roadway surface changes, when encountering uneven roadway surfaces, when transitioning from wet to dry or ice to clear pavement, or for seemingly no reason at all. Often I find myself actually counter steering (inputting opposite tension on the wheel) to keep the vehicle from going leaving the lane I'm traveling in. It is very unpredictable while changing lanes. As I begin a slow move to an adjacent lane, the steering may suddenly just pull me over to which I then have to counter steer to keep from going too far.

- Eagle River, AK, USA

Jan 102010

FJ Cruiser

After accelerating from low speeds the steering sometimes has a large amount of movement left & right from very small steering inputs. Resulting in a "death wobble" sort of a feeling. This happened before and after a lift kit and tires were installed.

- Sullivan, NH, USA

Feb 012010

FJ Cruiser

While driving in a straight line at about 35 mph I experience sudden application of the right front brake and the skid indicator light came on. The application of the brake caused me the swerve to the right. Had I been at highway speed I suspect that the fj would have rolled.

- Colorado Springs, CO, USA