2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser:

2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser Owner Comments

Mar 012014

FJ Cruiser

The dealer did replace my master cylinder and the pressure pump after the experience with the ABS issues as others have stated, this was when the car was under warranty. It seemed to fix the ABS problem with the long pulsing and basically the computer taking over the braking. I am still experiencing a mushy pedal and lack of braking when the car is driven over a longer period of time or during the summer months. However after a lot of research and paying attention to the symptoms, I am convinced this is a pressure and heat problem. I don't know why on a 5700 lb vehicle that they are using ceramic pads, dot 3 fluid and this pressure system, it just can't handle it.

- Littleton, CO, USA

Nov 212012

FJ Cruiser 6-cyl

Loss of brakes, tried to stop. Both feet applied to brakes and nothing. This was a T stop with a 20' drop on the other side of the road. This was on a road driven constantly in our neighborhood. Turned the car to the right went over the curb through a yard hit a fire hydrant took it across the street jumped the other curb and stopped in brush. There were no skid marks in the grass or road where the breaks had been applied. Drivers side air bag ripped or shredded at bottom did not inflate fully, passengers did inflate correctly. No one was hurt seriously or taken by ems.

- Greensboro, NC, USA

Mar 232012

FJ Cruiser 6-cyl

Brakes in certain situations become unresponsive. Happened twice when my wife was driving. Once when the streets were wet, she put on the brakes and went sliding all the way through the intersection. ABS did not work. The next time coming out of the parking garage, she went over some loose gravel and applied the brakes and the vehicle did not stop. She rear ended the vehicle ahead of her. Luckily there was no damage and the other driver was not a jerk. She said both times the brakes were unresponsive. See this thread for more information of this happening to others: www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/problems-dealer-service/102642-brake-issues-report-your-date-manufacture-VIN.html somebody is going to get hurt if it has not happened already.

- Dallas, TX, USA

Oct 052012

FJ Cruiser

While driving about 35mph on smooth asphalt the cars in front of me started braking. I applied my brakes lightly and nothing happened, pushed brake pedal harder still nothing and started to panic then all of a sudden the brakes engaged hard almost causing me to hit the car in front of me and the car behind almost hit me. I purchase the Fj cruiser used with about 52,000 miles on it. This has happened about 5 times since it was purchased. I do not feel the vehicle is safe and Toyota needs to step up and fix the problem before people are injured or killed. I see complaints all over the internet with the same problem something needs to be done!

- Blanchard, OK, USA