2010 Toyota FJ Cruiser miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Toyota FJ Cruiser:

2010 Toyota FJ Cruiser Owner Comments

Jul 012010

FJ Cruiser 4WD

I purchased 2010 Toyota Fj cruiser 4X4 automatic. It has part time 4 wheel drive system including 4H and 4L. I set into 4H (high speed 4wheel drive) and tried to park at the open parking lot. I found out car goes slow and stop before fitting into the spot. When steering is not straight, car slowly stops without braking under no accel. After that I tried to make a circle with my car, it did not work. I have to push the gas pedal to make a circle. In 2wd, I don't need to make circle with gas pedal on "D" drive. On 4WD, to make a circle, I have to push gas pedal and tire gets squeaking and making noise. I tested my cousin's 4 runner which I knew that both cars have same mechanism. On 4runner, we don't have no problem. The car goes very smooth on 4WD even make a circle. I went to the dealer to find out. First, "L" dealer, the guy said that 4H has center differential locked. So under 4WD, all wheels are goes same speed. So I shouldn't put 4WD on the paved road. 4WD in only for the off-road. I asked him "how about rainy day"" he said most of cars are 2wd. I went to "N" dealer. He doesn't know anything. I just dropped the car at "C" dealer now for 5K service. We talked long time for 4WD system. He does not know. He says that it might be different from 4 runner and characteristic. Personally, I think 4WD system helps on rainy road and also helps on curvy roads on the mountain. So I put 4WD time to time. I don't think the car should be designed to have all differential locked on 4WD. How do I make a sharp turn with 4WD? I have to hear tire squeaking and feel like harm the car. I feel bad. If it is a characteristic about the car, I am ok with it unless it harms my car. But, it possibly something need to improve, can you find out" I was about to call Toyota customer service, but I am afraid that they might say again "it is characteristic. You drive 2wd only on the road." Thank you.

- Los Angeles, CA, USA