$4,000.00

1. replace engine (1 reports)
2002 Toyota Highlander engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Toyota Highlander:

2002 Toyota Highlander Owner Comments

Jun 012008

Highlander V4

This whole thing was one of the worst experiences in my life. I was without a vehicle for over a month. My regular mechanic said he had never seen anything like it ever. He called Toyota and they didn't even know what to do or had ever heard of the engine literally melting. All my regular scheduled maintenance had been done. Toyota offered no help whatsoever. The only conclusion my mechanic could come to is that it had to be a factory defect. The bolts' threads that hold the block together were melted into the engine wall. Even the antifreeze was melted into the engine because of the extreme heat. This cost about $4000.00 to fix. I had to have a whole new (used) engine. Still no one can give me an explanation. the engine was clearly not melted all over, but rather in one localized area.

- , Vallejo, CA, USA