$7,833.00

1. needed to put in used engine (2 reports)
  3. replace engine!!! (1 reports)
2003 Toyota Highlander engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Toyota Highlander:

2003 Toyota Highlander Owner Comments

Jan 252010

Highlander 3.22

We have owned our Highlander and from time to time the engine would make a rattling noise, then it would stop and out of no where it would start again. About 2 weeks ago we just filled up and every time we start the car a puff of black smoke would come out and now the engine light is on , we change our oil every three to four months.

- , Charleston, WV, USA

Dec 012008

Highlander Limited V6

We sold our Honda (185,000) Accord and bought this Highlander new. I have two 70's era vw buses that have more miles on them and have never had this type of failure.

I started getting a puff of blue smoke in early December 08 when I started the car - this didn't build up - just one morning there it was - not really a puff as more of a big cloud of choking smoke.

I was in Southern Calif when this started and had to wait till I got back up north to my dealer before I could drop the car off.

I don't think the dealer is lying - the problem is probably as bad as they say it is but 97000 miles on a well maintained car? I personally changed the oil religiously at 5k - this is really an outrage for a modern day vehicle to fail like this. The service manager claims he will 'help' but has never heard of the problem before.

Anyone else have a similar issue?

- , Oakland, CA, USA

Sep 242007

Highlander V4

My engine blew up on a long distance trip. I was 5000 miles from home and was experiencing a loss of radiator fluid that came on suddenly. I had just had the car serviced oil change, fluid top off, before we left and couldn't understand what was happening. Took it to a local S. Carolina Toyota dealership (Sparks-never ever go there) and they told me I blew the head gasket, then called me back an hour later and said the bolts to the engine somehow got stripped and I needed a new engine!!! A 2003 94,000 mile Toyota needing a new engine, how crazy is that. Never had a problem, always maintained the vehicle oil changes etc... This is my third Toyota and by far the worst. The most awful part is that my warranty ended at 80,000 and Toyota will do nothing to help you and I was out $7,000 this was a $29,000 vehicle bought brand new in 2003 the engine should have lasted more than 4 years. I will never buy Toyota again, its not worth the money.

- , Canton, MA, USA

Nov 162006

Highlander V6

Engine failed suddenly with no warning. The car was 3 years old - no apparent engine problems -- oil changed regularly - changed 1 month prior to problem - no warning lights - no early signs of trouble - my wife was backing out of driveway - car stopped would not restart - engine was trashed - this was my first Toyota - and last -- Previous ownership has produced Dodge with 500,000 miles on engine and Nissan's with 400,000 and 350,000 miles to engines. Have had very good luck with previous cars - provide standard maintenance- Very shocked to have had such drastic engine problem with no signs or symptoms. Up to that point - no problems with car - but it now has the distinction of being the worst care i've ever owned.

- , Owings Mills, MD, USA