3.9

2003 Toyota Highlander seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Toyota Highlander:

2003 Toyota Highlander Owner Comments

Feb 052014

Highlander 6-cyl

Drivers side seat belt nylon webbing (actual belt portion) has started to severely unravel in several different places. I feel this is a factory defect in materials; however, local dealership where vehicle was purchased informs me that it will cost me $270 to replace this belt. Cost so high because the whole mechanism must be replaced...not just webbing. I am a senior citizen on a fixed income & cannot afford to replace the belt @ this cost. I feel manufacturer should replace @ no charge since a defective seat belt on drivers side is very dangerous. I have been a long time Toyota customer & this is my 1st compliant ever.

- Mobile, AL, USA

Jan 012010

Highlander 6-cyl

Unusual fraying of drivers seat belt due to design problem with stitching of belt material. Began to unravel and run alongside approx 18" of belt length. This caused belt to bind and snag on buckle further exacerbating problem. This occurred during routine use and is a common problem on this model. Toyota does not warranty safety restraint devices for the life of the vehicle like other similar major manufacturers (Nissan, Honda, Mazda, etc) and dealership stated that their warranty was good for 5 yr/60,000 miles. Though the vehicle has less than 60,000 miles, it is >5 years and therefore not covered. Toyota corporate does not seem concerned about recent glaring safety concerns resulting in consumer deaths (sticking wot accelerators, failing brakes, etc) and is unwilling to cover any portion of the estimated $450 repair. I would like to document this defect which is extensively reported on the internet by other consumers in hopes that Toyota could be forced to correct this serious safety issue before more deaths occur.

- Gainesville, FL, USA

May 292008

Highlander 4-cyl

I own a 2003 Toyota Highlander purchased November, 2002 with current mileage 49,570. I just noticed that the strap portion of the seat belt on the driver's seat is shredding to fine threads prematurely and quickly deteriorating due to unknown reason. Soon, nothing will be left of my seatbelt but fine threads (very unsafe). I have spoken to two service advisors at michael's Toyota of bellevue, wa and Toyota of kirkland, wa and requested for a warranty repair. I was aware that other car manufacturers have longer warranty coverage for safety restraint system. Unfortunately, I was told by the service advisors that Toyota does not have extended safety restraint coverage so it would cost me $205-230 for parts plus 1-2 hours of labor to get the seatbelt replaced because the vehicle's 36,000/3 yr warranty had expired.

- Bellevue, WA, USA