2005 Toyota Highlander accessories - interior problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Toyota Highlander:

2005 Toyota Highlander Owner Comments

May 182007

Already have a case number, reported on 1/22/2010. I had a horrible accident in may of 2007 where the pedal became stuck and the car accelerated and I was unable to get the brakes to work. I hit another vehicle. While driving backwards out of a parking space in a grocery store parking lot. I have had to pay extra insurance premiums every six months and have that accident on my record. The fl hwy patrol officer said the accident was due to brake failure. One of the witnesses was an off-duty lake county sheriff's officer said he heard the acceleration and could not believe that someone was accelerating in the parking lot of a publix supermarket. I would like to know what Toyota is going to do to help car owners who have had accidents to correct their driving records and to contact insurance companies to help the insured to recoup extra monies paid because the car has bad equipment, which Toyota should have recalled long ago..

- Clermont, FL, USA

Nov 232009

My 2005 Toyota Highlander V6 4WD, which I purchased new, has been experiencing a hesitation/shifting problem for nearly as long as I have owned the vehicle. While the problem does not always occur, it is quite pronounced when it does and has resulted in very dangerous situations. The problem has been brought to the direct attention of Toyota motor sales in California, and their response has been disturbingly poor. The Toyota dealer that has been servicing my vehicle has been very helpful, but apparently cannot take action to correct the problem without corporate authorization. Here is a summary of the problem: The vehicle cannot always decide when to accelerate from a stop - there have been many instances of initial hesitation/lack of adequate power upon applying the gas pedal. For example, I have experienced a delay of a second or two when applying the gas pedal to proceed. This has resulted in some very close calls with oncoming traffic. Also, there are occurrences where the vehicle cannot seem to decide between gears (it will sometimes jump up/down between the lower gears, such as 1st to 2nd gear and/or 2nd to 3rd gear). Furthermore, I have noticed a general lack of adequate acceleration/gas pedal response, especially during city driving (ie. Lower speeds). My local Toyota dealer has records of the problem since approximately 16,000 miles (the vehicle now has about 44,000 miles). I believe the issue is the ECM, which was reprogrammed but the problem returned. Based on my research, I believe the ECM may be defective and that replacing the unit may solve the problem. Toyota will not replace the ECM. About a month ago, the Toyota dealer was able to verify the hesitation problem during a service visit. However, they could not duplicate it later with the scan tool attached - they had the vehicle for two days trying to get a snap shot because the Toyota field service technician told them "no repairs are to be made until the problem occurs more often." Tw*

- Easthampton, MA, USA