4.8

2005 Toyota Highlander miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Toyota Highlander:

2005 Toyota Highlander Owner Comments

Jun 052015

Highlander

I was leaving a parking lot and was going to enter a road. I was coasting through the parking lot at about 10 mph because I had to stop before entering the cross road. When I stepped on the brake to stop, the car started to accelerate. I pressed on the brake hard and it sounded like the anti-lock braking system kicked in while the engine revved up and kept pushing the car. The acceleration pushed me into the cross road while the braking system was making lots of noise, . luckily no one was in the cross road at that time. I put the car into neutral, while my foot was still on the break, and the engine RPM's dropped down to idle. I then put the car into reverse ( because cars were now coming on the road I wanted to enter). And I backed up normally ( no more engine revving). I put the car back into drive and everything acted normal. It was very scary, because if cars were crossing in front of me when it happened, I would have gone into the roadway unable to stop and I would have hit some one.

- Northampton, PA, USA

May 242005

Highlander 4-cyl

My daughter leased a 2005 4 cylinder, fwd Toyota Highlander in February 2005, and has put on about 5,000 miles. The car was leased in louisville, ky. A few days ago she was driving on the highway at about 65mph, and noticed that the gas peddle was stuck, and would not come up so as to reduce the speed. The first time this happened, she managed to reach down and pull the peddle assembly up, and deceleration occurred. The next day this situation repeated 2 more times, the last time being on the way to the dealer to have the vehicle "repaired" under warranty. The dealer fixed the assembly, and stated the assembly had come loose. While the repair seems to have been successful to date, and the dealer was very cooperative, I thought you folks should know about this "defect" and be alert to the possibility of more such failures. While my daughter was too shy or reticent to contact you, I thought it's ineveryone's best interest to avoid possible future fatalities. Not everyone is as athletic or calm as my daughter in this type of situation. Thank you for your attention to this matter.

- Pomona, NY, USA