2006 Toyota Highlander engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Toyota Highlander:

2006 Toyota Highlander Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

Apr 202007

Cruise control. If cruise is set at 70 mpg and you release it by the brake then try to resume the cruise after the vehicle has gone to 65 it will accelerate to 72 or 74 then drop to 70. I will not let this happen now by letting the speed get to whatever I had before, then resume to the original speed. I can duplicate this any time. The dealer said this was the way it now worked. My 1998 avalon does not do this when cruise is turned on.

- Normal, IL, USA

Feb 072010

1. I was traveling East on bolsa ave. Going straight, and the other driver was coming out of the abc market driveway. She made a right turn. 2. my car made a loud sound and then drove into the other driver's car. 3. I had my foot on the brakes, but the car went forward like it was a racing car. Then the car went in reverse and landed from the street onto the sidewalk. 4. my car is a 2006 Toyota Highlander 5. I believed the pedal got stuck and the car accelerated towards the other car. 6. it felt like the car was going 100 miles an hour.

- Garden Grove, CA, USA

Nov 102009

On bumpy roads or ditches, my 2006 Toyota Highlander hybrid vehicle does not brake or the brake slips. It feels like it suddenly accelerates with braking becoming ineffective.

- Middletown, CT, USA

Jul 092009

2006 Toyota Highlander hybrid - I was stopped in a right turn only lane. The vehicle in front of me began to make a right turn on a red light. As he moved forward, I slightly released pressure on the brakes and my vehicle lunged forward and crashed into the vehicle in front of me which had stopped suddenly. This "lunging" is a common occurrence in this Toyota vehicle. We had thought it was just an idiosyncrasy of the hybrid vehicle. However, my brother has a newer model Highlander hybrid and he does not experience this lunging. What I mean by lunging is that the vehicle, at times, will lunge forward as you release the brake at higher speed than an idle. In the simple accident mentioned above, my vehicle sustained over $3000 in damage, which is quite an extraordinary amount for this type of accident.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Feb 032010

Vehicle Toyota, 2006 Highlander limited letter sent to Toyota motor sales usa Inc with the following information. "after coming to a stop when I depress the accelerator to resume a forward motion there is sometimes a one or two second delay before the engine responds. And that resumption of engine speed is not a normal rate but at a higher rate causing the vehicle to "jump a little forward" before resuming a normal increase in accelerator speed. In a general sense I would describe the problem as a "delayed accelerator response" that happens occasionally.

- Sierra Madre, CA, USA

Jan 012010

We have a 2006 Toyota Highlander hybrid. I should start off by stating that we love this vehicle. We have, however, noticed a "glitch" that might be related to the same problem that the prius has and thought we should report it. Occasionally, when we step on the brake, and after the car is slowing down, the engine will surge forward as if it wants to accelerate again. Pumping the brakes works and the car stops. I don't think this is a pedal problem but a computer problem. Since we never tailgate and we always allow for distance to stop, this has never posed a problem for us but it is an issue worth noting.

- Grant, MN, USA

May 222007

I was driving my car into an underground parking lot. I put on the brakes and they would not engage. I tried again. I eventually slammed into the wall at the end of the parking lot. My car caught on fire and I was hurt, taken to the hospital. The car was inspected and found to have no brake problems, so I was deemed at fault for the accident. This was before we found out about the floor mat and accelerator problems with Toyota. My incident was obviously one of a runaway car. It was a 2007 Toyota Highlander.

- Santa Barbara, CA, USA

May 082007

2006 Toyota Highlander hybrid sometimes surges forward on braking. Seems unpredictable as to when it might happen. Both my wife & myself have experienced this on several occasions. I wonder if it is related to the other sudden acceleration recall of other model years. I see the 2007 to 2010 Camry is part of the recall. My understanding is that the Highlander shares a lot of parts with that model.

- Topsfield, MA, USA

Sep 162009

I was in a parking lot, made a right turn to pull into a parking space. I slowed down but it seemed the car accelerated. In a matter of seconds, the car went through a row of bushes and slammed into a tree. The entire front end of the car had to be replaced.

- Fresh Meadows, NY, USA

Mar 162009

Today, another Lexus /Toyota has an acceleration problem which finally caused 4 deaths. Many of us have had similar experiences. You have 3 at least already listed in your complaints. 2006 Toyota Highlanders (3) just took off and drivers couldn't stop them (I am one) until the car hit something. Lexus too, made by Toyota. Please check into this. I wrote Toyota to explain that I did not put my foot on accelerator. I got a generic letter back, without help or explanation. We have a problem with these cars, someone needs to address these unexplained accelerations.. my car flew through the air with me screaming, trying to stop it. I hit headon into a cement side of an irrigation ditch. Passenger is still in rehab since March of this year. Is it just the mats, as the san diego press is suggesting with the death of the chp and his 3 family members" I think not. Something in one of the systems, codes, cruise control, computer or ??" please check these out. Toyota has kept quiet long enough. Farmers insurance is coding my accident as my fault, yet I have never had an accident and did not cause this one.

- Depoe Bay, OR, USA

Jan 252009

My 2006 Toyota Highlander hybrid periodically lunges forward upon braking and when stopped.

- Princeton Jct, NJ, USA

May 272008

Friday early May 2008, I carried my Highlander for it's 30K service at 28K, due to hesitation, lurching, backfiring at times and poor gas mileage. At the service, I was told they clean the accelerator senor. The vehicle ran fine getting 28 miles per gallon, but notice a change in the vehicle grounding. I could hear the engine noise though the radio sometimes in the morning. The engine noise was added feature. I noticed the engine shifting was smooth until the following Tuesday. It was rain traffic medium driving 65 mph. The Highlander consumed a quarter of a tank within 20 miles. My Highlander is kept in garage nightly and most of the day. I make an appointment to my nearest Toyota dealer on 16may08 31K. The local dealership reset my vehicle"S computer by connecting the battery and reconnection. I was told 2 weeks before hand at the dealership it was a possibly of vehicle ?S computer software needing upgrading when they cleaned the accelerator senor. Today, the vehicle doesn't have the smooth accelerating power. For this vehicle, riding in traffic causes serious problems due lack of power lurching, poor gas mileage or the possible of losing control. No computer test was completed. I change gas station types and various gas treatments, it ?S not the gas. I have driving and working on cars since 1978 from engine, electrical system and brakes. I even noticed when the Highlander is full with gas. The vehicle sometime cough or delay. Is there a lemon law this"

- Spotsylvania, VA, USA

Jul 082007

Highlander 6-cyl

I accelerated to avoid a collision at low speed in an intersection. The car hesitated about 2 seconds after I pressed the gas pedal, then lurched forward, spinning the drive wheels. The length of delay or hesitation in response to accelerator input is frequently there, but is somewhat unpredictable, making stop-and-go traffic performance dangerous. Poor performance of the cruise control function is probably related to this defect. The car was returned to the dealer for service at 1500 miles. The dealer did a thorough check of the equipment and found no defective parts. Dealer states that there are no service bulletins for this problem, in spite of the fact that Toyota has acknowledged this problem and promised to fix it since December 2004. This is a serious problem. Had the pavement been wet, I could have lost control of the vehicle. Fortunately, in the incident described, the other driver was able to avoid a collision. Next time, I might not be so lucky.

- Bellevue, WA, USA

Jul 202006

Highlander 4WD 6-cyl

2006 Toyota Highlander 3-3V-6 5 speed auto. Very erratic shifting and hesitation when at slow speeds. Happened mostly in stop and go traffic. Very dangerous because car lurched forward and brakes needed to be applied much harder than one would like. Could never be sure when merging into traffic how the car will respond. Very dangerous. Had a 2002 Highlander before this one and had no problems. Car has been back to the dealer 4 times since purchase in July 2006. Each time I was told that the car has to adjust to my driving style. Unless the check engine light goes on they won't even try to fix anything. I even had the regional rep drive it (5 miles) and proclaim the car to be normal. If this is normal, you can keep it. I am so disappointed in this car. Toyota is waiting for a serious accident to occur. I intend to file a claim with the NJ lemon law.

- Hillside, NJ, USA

Aug 192006

Highlander 6-cyl

: the contact stated while brake pressure was applied at 5 mph into a parking space, the vehicle lurched forward and jumped over a curb without warning. The contact shifted the vehicle in reverse and the vehicle suddenly accelerated backwards while constant brake pressure was applied. The vehicle crashed into another parked vehicle where it came to a final stop. The contact was wearing a seat belt, but no injuries were sustained. There was moderate damage to the rear bumper and right passenger side panel of the vehicle. The police were alerted and a report was taken. The vehicle was towed to a dealer who was unable to duplicate the problem. The manufacturer was alerted.

- San Antonio, TX, USA