Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: 2008 is the first year of the 2nd generation Highlander, & it may be a model year to avoid as Toyota most likely worked out some production quality issues with the new model.

The 2009 Highlander is the has far fewer complaints.

2008 Toyota Highlander accessories - interior problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Toyota Highlander:

2008 Toyota Highlander Owner Comments

Feb 052013

My wife was driving her 2008 Toyota Highlander to work and turned on the heated seat. It has burned her leg at the hamstring under thigh area pretty bad.

- Centennial, CO, USA

May 202008

The driver's seat does not rise up enough to see over the outside rearview mirror. Also, the outside rearview mirror is large and continuous to the doorpost producing a visual block from windshield side of the doorpost to the far end of the outside mirror - about 16 inches. Project this visual block-out across to a side-street intersection and it blocks the view of the entire side-street intersection and then some when traveling on a four lane street with a meridian in the middle. This is gross hazard for me and a vehicle in the intersection and for pedestrians. I had one collision when leaving a church parking lot onto a two lane rural road - traveling about 10 mph and the other vehicle was stopped in his lane. Occurred in spring of 2008, about 5 pm - clear sunny day. I did not see his car - and the collision repair cost for his vehicle was $2,500 and for my repair cost was $4,000 +-. also, I have hit the low concrete divider with my left front tire - located under the freeway overpass when turning - this turn I have done 5 days a week for 5 years on the way to work with no problem until driving this 2008 Highlander. Also, I have had several near collisions with unseen vehicles and pedestrians. At night with vehicle behind me the light glare in the outside mirror is such that it is impossible to see over or around to see a side-street intersection. Similar problems exist for the right outside mirror. To correct this problem the mirror needs to be lowered. Also, a gap between the edge of the mirror and the doorpost would be a major great help. My height is 5'-5" not too short - by pushing hard with my left foot on the floorboard step I am able to see over the outside mirror and gain a reasonable view of the side-street intersection - but this movement takes away from my concentration and agility to drive on.

- Hungerford, TX, USA