Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2010 Highlander's rear liftgate thinks it's open when it's closed and then once it's actually open, you might not be able to shut it again. Remember folks, if your liftgate is stuck open for more than 4 hours, consult your mechanic.

2010 Toyota Highlander engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Toyota Highlander:

2010 Toyota Highlander Owner Comments

Nov 152014

The contact owns a 2010 Toyota Highlander. While driving approximately 30 mph, the vehicle stalled without warning. The vehicle was able to be restarted. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The failure recurred on several occasions. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 3,000.

- Manhattan Beach, CA, USA

Sep 012014

Highlander 6-cyl

Twice in September 2014, as I was approaching a stop light, I pressed the brakes and slowed to nearly a stop. The engine suddenly accelerated very high, and if I had not already had a foot on the brakes, I would have gone into an intersection. The engine was running so high that it was difficult to keep it from moving. I shifted into neutral, came to a complete stop, and while the transmission was in neutral, took my foot off the brake pedal. The engine immediately returned to normal idle. This same sequence happened both times. This has happened twice this month, but these are the first occurrences since I purchased the vehicle new. I called the Toyota dealer, and the service person said that if the vehicle isn't demonstrating that behavior when I bring it in, they would not be able to find what caused it. They indicated that the vehicle data recorder would not record such an event. They said they would add a note about this to the record they have on this vehicle (they have done all the service since I purchased it from them). I have already decided that should it happen again, I will trade the vehicle. I don't like having to keep my hand on the gearshift, ready to shift into neutral. I saw a report in usatoday that sudden acceleration in Toyota is being investigated again. I wanted to add my experience to the mix.

- Denton, TX, USA

Feb 222014

While driving on the interstate at 70 mph, a deer hit my car. Airbags did not deploy, damaged front end, minor damage to the bumper, major damage to engine compartment and windshield was cracked why did the airbag not deploy our major concern concern that will the airbag work after repairs??

- Spring Lake, NC, USA