CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2010 Highlander's rear liftgate thinks it's open when it's closed and then once it's actually open, you might not be able to shut it again. Remember folks, if your liftgate is stuck open for more than 4 hours, consult your mechanic.

2010 Toyota Highlander miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Toyota Highlander:

2010 Toyota Highlander Owner Comments

Sep 162016

Highlander

In late 2012, Toyota issued a tsb related to the rear power lift gate. Instructions were to replace the hinges, motor unit, etc... if evidence of failure. Limitations were 3 yr 36,000 mile warranty. Explanations from the dealer were that the hinges for the back hatch were under manufactured for the weight of the door causing them to twist/warp and pull away from the door and/or frame. This also created undue stress on the motor assembly unit often times leading to failure. I had service performed in early 2013 as recommended by the tsb. I am currently experiencing the identical issues as stated above but worse. The door no longer operates by using the power lift feature on the key fob. The door is again warped causing the grinding and clicking noises when you open it manually. The motor has failed and I am afraid my actual door is warped. I have spoken to my dealer and have been told that the work was completed and that there was nothing else they could do for me. This in spite of the fact that the repairs have been proven to be less than effective. I do not feel this is a car mileage issue. It is simply a manufacturing error that has yet to be resolved. Toyota failed to issue a recall on this problem. After researching my problem I have found that there have been very large class action law suits related to this very issue. Many times these doors are not closing at all creating a potentially very dangerous safety issue.

- Appling, GA, USA

May 012016

Highlander

Driver's side sun visor fails to close thereby blocking some forward vision.

- Marietta, GA, USA

Sep 012015

Highlander

Open-door warning keeps popping in the dash when driving, as well as the light inside inside the car (consistent with an open door). The problem started at first as the car would be turning at very low speed. It has gotten worse over the next 2 weeks and now happens almost anytime there is a bump in the road, or when cornering, as well as when hitting the brakes, even gently. I changed all the door sensors but it did not make any difference.

- Hampstead, NH, USA

Feb 032014

Highlander

Received a phone call from street Toyota concerning a recall for my 2010 Highlander. They said that they needed 5 minutes to do a recall on the computer. I checked the recalls and didn't find anything. I think that they are up to something. I refused the appointment. Thanks

- Gloversville, NY, USA

May 032012

Highlander

My name is lorenzo E johnson. I own a 2010 Highlander, as of today 5/16/12 the mileage 32,800. The reason for this letter, the left portion of my windshield is coming loose or the left passenger window is dysfunctional. This is the original Toyota Highlander windshield and passenger window. First, I noticed the sound of glass if it was loose, driving my daily route on I95 fredericksburg Virginia to quantico base Virginia. This portion of I95 is smoother, than most state roads. The glass sound is not a continuous sound, cause to roads different. In fact, the glass sound occurs only when it an dry day. I notice the road noise has increased. When it rains, I can not heard the glass sound, due to rain on the vehicle. I drive this Highlander daily to and from work. The local dealership will take a 3 minute ride and hear nothing, than I am forced to another dealership for service. Many years ago, I had the same problem with another vehicle, the internal and liner has to replaced. Has anyone else experienced this problem?

- Spotsylvania, VA, USA

Apr 222011

Highlander

On Friday, April 22, 2011, we were traversing I-55 North of grenada, Mississippi. I was using cruise control traveling at 73 mph when, without any warning of anything wrong, we heard a loud noise like the whirring of helicopter blades overhead. I turned off the cruise control to let the car slow down because I didn't know what was happening; as my wife slid open the sun roof cover to look overhead. As we slowed down, the driver's side rear tire tread hit my side of the car and passed us up going down the interstate. I then felt the drag on the steering as I pulled off onto the shoulder of the highway and applied the brakes stopping the car. Prior to the helicopter sound, I never had any pulling or steering problems that could have been caused by a tire running on low tire pressure. I also never received a low tire alarm from my tire pressure alarm system. As an addition, I'll add that my five tires are inflated with nitrogen for better tire wear and life. I went to alexander Toyota in franklin, tn to purchase a new tire so I'd have a spare. I picked up the damaged tire off the interstate shoulder and my car insurance company know has the entire failed tire to examine. The failure was a Bridgestone; model "dueler hl-400"; dot: Ob7C.

- Baton Rouge, LA, USA

Nov 082010

Highlander

Driver backed out of an end parking space (nose in, curb in front and on right). Driver felt wheel (right side) go over curb (turned too quickly). Driver stopped, shifted to drive (forward) to get off the curb. When driver touched accelerator, the vehicle shot forward (seemed like 50 mph). Left front of the Highlander creased the two side doors of the minivan parked adjacent on the left. The left front of the Highlander sustained grille damage, left fender, headlight and running light, driver door and left mirror. Fender pushed back prevented driver door from being opened. Air bags did not deploy. The Highlander was purchased 1/4/2010. The accelerator recall was performed by the dealer in March 2010.

- Swan Point, MD, USA