3.8

2011 Toyota Highlander miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Toyota Highlander:

2011 Toyota Highlander Owner Comments

Oct 212016

Highlander

My driver side visor lost all tension. I had to either hold it up or tie it out of the way. I had it replaced at lowe Toyota in warner robins, ga for $199.87. I would not expect a visor to tear up even for a 2011 model. It was a safety issue that needed to be fixed. I think there should be a recall on these visors and reimbursement for replacing them. Thanks, diana J. mcguire

- Warner Robins, GA, USA

Jul 082014

Highlander

Heater/ac assembly is leaking onto a control module under the dash which I believe the the airbag module and soaking the front drivers and passengers carpets and padding. Checked for blockage in drain tube. None, used compressed air to blow out drain tube just in case. Did not solve issue. Removed passengers side panel and found that the factory seam of the ac/heater assembly was leaking water when the ac is on. (I have video) the design of the assembly is poor in that the seam splits the assembly left and right rather than top and bottom. Repair of the unit would have required complete removal of dash, steering, etc. To solve this, I placed 3M glass setting butyl tape over the seam such that the seam in the unit was sealed above the condensation drain. This resolved the issue.

- Lancaster, MA, USA

Jul 192015

Highlander

On July 19 my daughter hit the button to close the rear lift gate. The handle broke away from the car. It looked like the screw was stripped. Took it to the dealer Aug 5. they said it is a full rear door replacement with estimated cost of $3000 - $5000. They were very familiar with the problem. After researching online I found this is a common problem with 2008-2012 Highlanders and Toyota has been aware. There is a class action lawsuit regarding it also. Called Toyota and they said I am out of warranty and out of luck.

- Highlands Ranch, CO, USA

Apr 222015

Highlander

The sun visor in the driver side is stuck in half way down position, hit my forehead twice already on this.

- Tracy, CA, USA

Oct 062014

Highlander

The sun visor popped when I was pulling it down to sheild my eyes and now it will not return to original position. Concern as it gets in my way when driving. This is the drivers side visor which I tend to hit my head on and have to move my seat lower in order to see properly. I took it to my dealership and they told me it would be $300 to fix. That is ridiculous as I feel this is a faulty part that could be a hazardous situation if not taken care of. Recal may be in order to correct this issue.

- Holyoke, MA, USA

May 012014

Highlander 6-cyl

The spring in the driver's side sun visor broke and it now hangs down. It won't stay up or in a position to block the sun. We have a bungy cord to hold it out of our line of vision but cannot use it. It still hangs down a little and "pops out" frequently blocking vision. Very dangerous. Not under warranty I am told.

- Camillus, NY, USA