4.7

2012 Toyota Highlander fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Toyota Highlander:

2012 Toyota Highlander Owner Comments

Jun 042015

Highlander

On (or about) the last week of May 2015, I had my auto serviced at the dealship. I was advised that the 'throttle body' needed 'cleaning' and this was done by the dealership at that time. On June 4, 2015, I was backing into a parking spot on a parking lot, wiith the car 'coasting' back and my foot on the brake. About half way into the 'spot' the car engine suddely accellerated and I had to use extreme pressure on the brake pedal to obtain a 'minimum' of slowing. The car only came to a stop when the rear tires, made contact with an 'in-place' cement parking barrier and the engine acceleration only ceased when I put the car in 'park' gear. It has not occured since, nor has it ever occured while driving forward. I am a retired police officer with years of training in driving and driver safety, and am certain of this action ocurring as I have described.

- Bensalem, PA, USA

May 232012

Highlander 6-cyl

My Highlander was at the airport for three days parked. When I was leaving the lot I was driving slow in the lot to pay my parking. When I got out of the lot to main stream traffic I tried to accelerate and the car would only go slow as I kept pushing the throttle. There were cars on both sides of me with no one in front and then the car just took off. It did startle me because I was not expecting this. Thank god no one was in front of me because I am sure I would not have reacted fast enough to stop because of the rapid acceleration. Something is wrong with the throttle in these vehicles. I did not take it in because I am sure they would not have been able to reproduce the problem. This has only happen once and I hope it doesn't happen again.

- Coraopolis, PA, USA