2013 Toyota Highlander body / paint problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Toyota Highlander:

2013 Toyota Highlander Owner Comments

Jun 192016

Highlander 6-cyl

When the lift gate of my Toyota Highlander was closing I heard a clunk and saw the lift arm detach from the body of the vehicle. I took it to the dealer and was told no warranty or extended warranty would cover the damage. I have 41,000 miles on the vehicle and the platinum extended warranty. I searched the internet and was shocked to see so many lawsuits and complaints against Toyota for this design flaw. I have spoken to the regional Toyota office and the most they are willing to do is 50% of the bill which would leave me to pay $1700. Considering it looks to me that a $2 bolt is the culprit, I believe this is something that the manufacturer should have recalled not just done a silent service bulletin. If you could contact Toyota and tell them they should do the right thing and replace the defective lift gate because of a terrible design, I would appreciate it. Thank you.

- Levittown, PA, USA

Dec 232014

Highlander

Vehicle was proceeding through an intersection under a green light. A vehicle traveling the cross road proceeded through their red light and impacted my vehicle at full speed. The result was a "T-bone" accident into the driver's side door. The force of the collision was such that my vehicle was turned 90 degrees. The driver's head impacted the driver's side window shattering that window. The side curtain air bag did not deploy. Air bags in the other vehicle did deploy. Had the air bag operated properly it would have protected the driver's head from impacting and shattering the window. Since the side curtain airbag did not deploy in what appears to be an obvious situation, I am now concerned that none of the airbags in that vehicle will deploy upon impact and I am driving an unsafe vehicle.

- Bellefonte, PA, USA

Feb 242015

Highlander

On 2/20/2015 my parked Toyota was hit in the front bumper causing damage. The party that hit me carried state farm insurance. They admitted fault and sent me to one of their preferred shops. The shop informed me that stae farm would not allow them to install a new bumper since my vehicle has 10,753 miles on it. State farm forced them to source a used bumper, even though this is part of the Toyota safety system. I would not allow the used part to be installed. Senator richard blumenthal last week ask the attorney general and doj to investigate this practice over safety concerns. These used parts have not been tested or certified as safe by the original manufacturer.

- Millersville, MD, USA

Dec 012014

Highlander

I rear ended a car in front of me. Damage minimal to his car. My Highlander sustained over 10 thousand dollar front damage. My air bags did not deploy.

- Egg Harbor Township, NJ, USA

Dec 312013

Highlander 6-cyl

My vehicle T-boned another vehicle, striking directly into the driver's door of the other vehicle. The front end of my vehicle sustained approximately $8000 worth of front end damage, however the air bags never deployed. (fortunately there were no injuries). In light of current well-publicized air bag issues, I asked my dealership if they would inspect my vehicle to ensure that the air bags were not defective. They refused, and referred me to Toyota corporate. I called Toyota corporate, explained my concern, and requested that my air bags be checked out. Toyota corporate refused, and suggested I send a letter to their claims department. I sent the claims department a letter on November 10, 2014, and have never received a response.

- Oceanside, NY, USA

Jun 052014

Highlander 6-cyl

I have a new 2013 Toyota Highlander. During a heavy rain or car wash water enters the cabin around from the center post where the seatbelt retracts. The dealer determined that there is bad weld at one of the roof seams and the water is leaking down through the center post. The vehicle is currently at the dealer while they try and figure out how to make the repair. My concern is that this defect may also affect the structural integrity of the vehicle during a crash. I am also concerned that even after the repair it may be possible that small traces of water are still entering the vehicle but aren't visible as it may be hidden by interior trim. Over time this may cause rust. Should I be concerned about this defect?

- Reisterstown, MD, USA

Feb 012014

Highlander

TL the contact owns a 2013 Toyota Highlander. The contact stated while driving 55 mph the vehicle suddenly accelerated. The contact was able to engage the brake pedal and the vehicle resumed normal function. The contact also stated that the door hatch motor emitted a loud clicking sound when it was opened and closed. The dealer replaced the motor; however, the failure was not corrected. The failure mileage was 88. The current mileage was 2,500.

- Temple City , CA, USA