2014 Toyota Highlander miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2014 Toyota Highlander:

2014 Toyota Highlander Owner Comments

Oct 282016

Highlander

My sunroof exploded as I was driving with my kids, on the highway. It sounded like a gunshot and the glass fell all over me.

- The Woodlands, TX, USA

Aug 252016

Highlander

Rear lift door (hatchback) does not stop if an arm or body part is in the way once the button to close is pushed. My hair got caught in the lock and the door was closing so I tried to stop it with my arm and it kept closing on my arm with my hair caught and my arm is severely bruised. The vehicle was in park and shut off in my driveway

- Red Hook, NY, USA

Feb 012016

Highlander

When the A/C or heater is on, there is a very foul almost rotten type of smell coming into the cabin. I notice it as soon as I start the car. It used to go away after driving it several miles, but lately it seems to continue with the bad smell for a longer time. We have noticed it for several months now. It has 28,000 miles on it as of 4-25-16.

- Pasco, WA, USA

Mar 102016

Highlander

Navigation system. Will not set to go to specific addresses, will not operate much like a navigation system should.

- Amarillo, TX, USA

Jul 152015

Highlander

The HVAC system does not drain completely in hot climates, causing a build up of mold/mildew in the ac system, blowing it into the car. The odor is foul and damaging to customers respiratory systems. This occurs in the summer, in hot months with the ac is used on a daily basis. It does not occur in the winter.

- Aledo, TX, USA

Sep 132015

Highlander

I noticed a bad smell for months and could not figure out where it was coming from. Recently I noticed water coming in from the rear passenger seatbelt. I called the dealership and they had me bring it in immediately. They found mold and said it was due to the moon roof leaking. The carpeting was replaced by professionals since their employees could not be exposed to the mold. I had the car for over a year and drove it with my asthmatic child daily. No one has yet to address the health hazard this is. Not to mention the molding around the doors and several guards and pieces no longer fit properly and are sliding all over the floor as I drive.

- Highland, NY, USA

Nov 282014

Highlander

When the air conditioner or heater is on there is a horrible smell that comes out. Mold or body odor type of smell.

- Sheridan, WY, USA

May 012015

Highlander

When driving on the highway there is loud wind noise with window shut. Also if one window is down there is a awful noise that hurts the ears.

- Sheridan, WY, USA

Jun 232014

Highlander

Purchased new 2014 Toyota Highlander in May 2014, after approximately 30 days of ownership a foul odor began to emit from A/C unit whenever vehicle was started. After 3 trips to selling dealer to correct the problem I was given Toyota T-sb-0142-13 which informs me that there are 23 Toyota vehicles which may experience this problem. Dealership attempted to place blame on various items but, since toyoya published a tsb it leads me to believe that Toyota knows about the problem but is not wanting it to become known as it might impact their selling vehicles. My A/C experience leads me to believe the problem is caused by an improperrly designed A/C system which is failing to drain all the moisture from the A/C system thereby allowing mold, mildew, algae to grown in the undrained left over water in A/C system.

- Seffner, FL, USA