2015 Toyota Highlander brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2015 Toyota Highlander:

2015 Toyota Highlander Owner Comments

Nov 052016

Highlander

We were driving during heavy rains at freeway speeds. Traffic was slowed ahead. The system signals an alarm that traffic ahead is slowing, a very nice feature. However, while the alarm was going off, I depressed the brake pedal with zero response, likely due to the ABS not wanting me to slide on the wet roads. However as I got closer and closer to the slowed traffic ahead, I needed to press the brake harder and harder. The brakes simply stopped decelerating the Highlander and we smashed into the back of a smaller vehicle. While I appreciate ABS and the desire to prevent sliding, I must be able to stop my vehicle. I have read countless complaints about this occurring, yet I do not see a resolution.

- Marysville, WA, USA

Jan 102016

Highlander

Had a problem with a 13 mo. Old Highlander(still under warranty). Was backing into my garage when the brake pedal suddenly broke(rubber piece fell off). It caused my foot to slip off the brake and consequently backed into a refrigerator we had in the garage. It ruined the refrigerator and damaged the back of the Highlander($1000+) worth of damage. Filed a claim with Toyota(corporate) and cooperated fully with their investigation. After 4 ½ mos. Of getting nothing but a run around from Toyota finally got their answer to the problem. They said the vehicle was fine(why then did the brake pedal fall apart?) and that they didnżT care at all about my problem. They also didnżT answer why the brake pedal fell apart if żall was fineż as they asserted. Kind of like what Toyota did 6 or 7 years ago when the accelerator problem first showed up. Back then their first reaction was to blame th victims(owners) for causing the problem!! I suggest to others to not buy a Toyota. As my problem shows, if an unusual problem happens they will not stand behind their vehicle or design!!

- Hamilton, OH, USA

Jun 122016

Highlander

The contact owns a 2015 Toyota Highlander. While driving at 5 mph, the brakes failed without warning. As a result, the contact crashed into the rear end of another vehicle. The air bags did not deploy. A police report was not filed. There were unknown injuries sustained that required medical attention. The vehicle was taken to be diagnosed, but the dealer could not duplicate the failure. The failure mileage was 10,500. The VIN was unavailable.

- Charlotte, NC, USA

Jan 302016

Highlander

Driving forward into parking space. Just about stopped. Pressed break. Car lurched forward at hight speed suddenly, causing car to jump curb at top of parking spot and careen down hill (onto side walk). Car out of control for about 2 seconds. Was able to break in hill, which prevented me from hitting car parked perpendicular on street below. Bottom of car scraped curb when car jump curb and lurched forward. Bottom front bumper scraped. There was an icy patch at top of parking space. It seems like when wheels rolled on top of icy patch, the car lurched forward. Car might have accidentally been on cruise control at the time.

- Winston-Salem, NC, USA

Sep 202015

Highlander

While the vehicle was being driven, the power cut out and a message appeared on the dash stating that the brake and accelerator were being depressed simultaneously -- but they were not. This happened three times in a row. We had the vehicle toward to the Toyota dealer where purchased. They could not figure out what was wrong and attributed the problem to "driver error." The dealer's mechanic produced a report indicating that similar malfunctions had occurred in the prior two months with no notice to the driver. Toyota could provide no explanation for this. Toyota claims that nothing is wrong and refuses to repair or replace the vehicle.

- West Newbury, MA, USA

Aug 042015

Highlander

Popping sound coming from right front side when breaking to a stop at all speeds. The problem was first noticed at around 2500 miles and the car was taken to the dealer at around 2900 miles. Dealer inspected it and couldn't find what the problem was. Then as instructed by Toyota replaced the right front strut assembly but that didn't fix the problem. The car was returned to me and I was told there were no safety concerns and that Toyota was sending one of their techs to troubleshoot, but that may take a couple of weeks. In the mean time the problem seems to be getting worse.

- Clemmons, NC, USA

May 012015

Highlander

Clunking noise from rear end of vehicle when braking, dealer was authorized to change rear away bars and shocks, no fix, now Toyota Corp., says this is normal characteristic of vehicle ? I don't feel safe driving vehicle with noise, and as brakes feel soft also.

- Anchorage, AK, USA