6.1

2015 Toyota Highlander steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2015 Toyota Highlander:

2015 Toyota Highlander Owner Comments

Apr 202015

Highlander

This vehicle has severe torque steer when accelerating at highway speed. The vehicle pulls hard left and you have to fight the wheel to maintain control. It is very dangerous, especially when trying to pass another vehicle. My complaints to the dealership were waved aside - one tech told me "all our front wheel drive cars do it"

- Houston, TX, USA

Dec 292014

Highlander

When accelerating from a stop and especially when turning, say at a stop sign, one looses control of steering. The car is also difficult to steer when going into passing gear. I fear that losing control is a major safety problem. My Toyota dealership will not do anything about this problem. This happens repeatedly, even though I drive conservatively and has since I bought the car in December 2014.

- College Station, TX, USA

Oct 082016

Highlander

Two or three times now, while paused in traffic, I look at the radio instrument panel and it has completely shut off and reboots, it then causes all previously programmed information in the system to be changed. In addition at the same time, the steering feels like it "pauses". I checked my VIN it is not in the recall but I will be taking it to the dealer as soon as possible. Once the electrical radio/entertainment system rebooted while traveling on the highway, I only noticed it because the radio shut off. I did not notice anything at that time with the steering and I thought it was a fluke, but now after three times, I am bringing to the dealer

- Crozet, VA, USA

Dec 142015

Highlander

While driving on a city street, the steering became extremely difficult as if power steering shut down. "eps failure, steering wheel harder to turn" warning appeared on the dash cluster. We pulled over, turned off the vehicle, then turned it back on -- the warning disappeared and steering was normal again. Our Highlander was manufactured in 3/15. My VIN was not in the recall for NHTSA campaign number: 15V144000. Toyota replaced the steering computer under warranty, at no charge. I'm writing to suggest the extent of condition needs to be expanded to include additional vehicles.

- Lexington, SC, USA

Aug 222015

Highlander

Received recall notice. Scheduled service on vehicle for Saturday the 22nd of September 2015, 0930. Documentation indicated the recall would take a total of approximately 4 hours to complete. Recall was for eps ECU, urgent safety recall. At about 1445, received call from dealer that they would have to order the part and my vehicle would not be ready until the part was in on Tuesday the 25th and repairs completed. Why did they not have the part on hand at the dealer if this was an urgent recall? called Toyota, ref # 1508221403 and they indicated they only send the part when the vehicle has been identified as needing the repair. This is not "within a reasonable time" for an urgent safety recall.

- Vancouver, WA, USA

May 292015

Highlander

The contact owns a 2015 Toyota Highlander. The contact stated that while at a stop light, the steering wheel seized and became difficult to maneuver when making a right or left turn. The eps warning light illuminated. The failure recurred numerous times. The vehicle was taken to a dealer but was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 38,040.

- Baltimore, MD, USA

May 202015

Highlander

I received my recall letter for the eps ECU unit 5/13. Inspection would take 1.5 hours, replacement 2.5 hours or longer depending on the dealer's work schedule. The first available appt at the dealership was 5/20. On 5/20 I drove to the dealership for a morning appointment and it was confirmed that my vehicle had the problem. I was told they had to order the part, would keep my vehicle and they would provide a loaner. I called the dealership on 5/27 for an update. Was told the part did not arrive but it was expected the next day. They would call with an update on 5/28. No call from the dealership on 5/28 so I called the Toyota customer experience center (cec) and was given a case number. On 6/1, I called the dealership and was told the part still had not arrived but had been shipped. I called my cec rep and complained about the delay. I was informed that the repair parts have been on back order since last month and they are scheduled to begin arriving sometime during the month of June. I asked for an explanation of the information disconnect between the letter, Toyota corporate and the dealership on the part availability for this recall. I also asked what Toyota's definition of a reasonable amount of time was for addressing this recall and my rep was unable to provide an answer suggesting that the time varied by state. Day 13 has passed and neither my dealership nor Toyota seem have a clue when this will be resolved. In addition, both the dealership and Toyota were informed during our inital conversations that I have a cross-country relocation scheduled for 6/8. my rep said she would call me on June 4 to see how things are progressing. We were led to believe in the recall letter this was less than a one day project when indeed there is and has been a serious supply chain problem. Honesty from Toyota on day one would have been nice.

- Marenisco, MI, USA

May 292015

Highlander

I took my 2015 Toyota Highlander to fred anderson Toyota in raleigh for a recall on the ciruit board for the electric power steering. They found that my car contained the defecctive part and were unable to provide me an eta on the replacement part. The dealershiip provided a Camry rental car, not a comparable vehicle. The entire reason I purchased the Highlander was becuase my family need a large SUV. I traded in a car for an SUV and have received a car back from them. I have left messages for the rental car manager and he has not returned my calls. The service department indicates thatt several Highlanders have been waiting for this part for over a month now, which is unacceptable. It could be over a month before I get my brand new vehicle back (no one can tell me), and I'm stuck with a vehicle that does not meet my families daily needs. I called Toyota corporate and they have offered no further assistance.

- Raleigh, NC, USA

May 142015

Highlander

The contact owns a 2015 Toyota Highlander. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 15V144000(steering) however, the part to do the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was not made aware of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Colorado Springs, CO, USA

May 232015

Highlander

A safety recall on a possible defective circuit board for the electric power steering, I was told that there is no parts available to replace the defective parts and they don't even know when is the parts will be available.

- Chula Vista, CA, USA

May 132015

Highlander

I received a recall notice in the mail on May 12 about a possible defective circuit board for the electric power steering. I took the car to a Toyota dealer on May 13, and was told later that day that my car did indeed have one of the units deemed defective. I was given a loaner car at no charge. Everything seemed ok, but now it is 10 days later, and no replacement part has arrived. Not only that but both the dealer and the national customer service number are completely unable to predict when any replacement parts will be available. Is there any way to make Toyota more responsive" is there any way to get Toyota to put more pressure on the manufacturer of the circuit board in question? what constitutes a "reasonable time" for Toyota to remedy this defect"

- Mercer Island, WA, USA