2006 Toyota Highlander Hybrid brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Toyota Highlander Hybrid:

2006 Toyota Highlander Hybrid Owner Comments

Mar 212011

Highlander Hybrid 6-cyl

When braking, the vehicle often "slips" for a moment. There is a moment of acceleration when braking at low speeds. It has caused me to bump into the shelves in my garage. It has also caused me to rear-end another vehicle. I was slowing down at some train tracks and rolled into the car ahead of me. The car ahead of me suffered no damage, but my bumper was completely destroyed from the trailer hitch of the other car. The braking is inconsistent and unpredictable. I am just glad no one got hurt.

- Il, IL, USA

May 092010

Highlander Hybrid 6-cyl

I have a 2006 Toyota Highlander hybrid that I purchased on April 2010 with a little over 40K miles. I noticed at low speeds and when going over bumps\train tracks a slip in the braking of the SUV for 1 or 2 second or less. This issue is very easy to reproduce..just drive it over a bumpy road or train tracks and this braking issue will occur. I've read online this issue had something to do with the regenerative brakes and hydraulic braking systems and the transfer between the two at low speeds. If this is the case I feel that this is a manufacture defect and a safety issue. If I need to stop really fast on a bumpy road and I have a 1 or 2 second delay in stopping I could end up in an accident.

- Warminster, PA, USA

Aug 162010

Highlander Hybrid

My wife was parked in front of our apartment building, idling with her foot on the brake, when our 2006 Toyota Highlander hybrid suddenly accelerated and crashed into a gate. Before the car crashed, she repeatedly applied the brake and even put the car in park. The car did not stop. After the impact, the engine continued to rev and accelerate before finally stopping. This had never happened before. The body has been repaired, but per Toyota, nothing mechanical or electronic has been touched. Last week Toyota sent a specialist out to inspect the car and download data. We were present at the time, and 5 dtc codes displayed. The descriptions displayed on the investigator's lap top mentioned vehicle speed sensors on right wheel and left wheel, the emps, body ECU switch circuit and "low or high power supply voltage". the car was test driven, and no errors or codes were reported. The car is now waiting to be taken to a dealer to be reviewed and fixed.

- Sherman Oaks, CA, USA

Aug 012010

Highlander Hybrid

2006 Toyota Highlander hybrid braking problems occurred on several occasions. The brakes would momentarily fail while braking at 35 to 40 mph.

- Conway, AR, USA

Apr 152010

Highlander Hybrid

I have an 06 Highlander hybrid, a have problem with its brakes it losses it grip for 1 second or less on light braking and sometimes it surges before the brakes hold. This happened usually in the morning at cold starts occurring 3-4 times a week. I complained to a Toyota dealership and they told me that it is because of the transition from regenerative to traditional braking. I just felt not safe because it might lead to accident.

- Mountain House, CA, USA

Mar 172010

Highlander Hybrid

We've owned the car for about a year and this problem has happened to my wife and I both while driving. While braking the brake pedal rises against your foot and the vehicle surges forward then as you apply more force the pedal goes down and the vehicle stops suddenly. It happens intermittently and the brake wear and fluid levels have always been fine, it seems to be a problem with the power assist to the brake maybe as the hybrid model engine starts because it seems to happen when braking after coasting so the engine would be off but as the brakes are applied about halfway through the normal stop you feel the brake pedal get hard and then normal again. During the brake pedal hardness the speed of the vehicle increases which reacts in a harder brake pedal pressure but by then the assist is back and the stop is sudden. This could cause both an accident from hitting someone during the loss of brake and from behind because of the sudden stop.

- Northborough, MA, USA

Feb 092010

Highlander Hybrid

My Highlander hybrid 2006 model has trouble with slippage when I brake. I notice it mainly at low speed, leaving my neighborhood in the morning. It is happening a lot lately, and this could be because of the cold weather we are having in charlotte (based on what I have read in the forums, cold weather could be a factor). This has been happening for a very long time, but I am noticing that this is happening a lot more often lately.

- Charlotte, NC, USA

Feb 032010

Highlander Hybrid

Brake hesitation similar to 2010 Toyota prius.

- Bridgewater, NJ, USA

Jan 152010

Highlander Hybrid

My 2006 Highlander hybrid brakes do not grab immediately when I am driving forward and going over a pot hole or train tracks while braking to reduce my speed. This occurs any time I am in that situation. It is even more noticeable when turning and braking while going over a pot hole or train tracks. I have asked the dealer to check this out 2-3 times. They don't seem to test drive it, just test the brakes and say they are okay.

- Denver, CO, USA