2006 Toyota Highlander Hybrid miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Toyota Highlander Hybrid:

2006 Toyota Highlander Hybrid Owner Comments

Mar 032011

Highlander Hybrid 6-cyl

I am the original owner of this vehicle. This vehicle is used on standard Suburban and highway paved roads. No dirt or special condition driving. In March 2011 at about 82,000 miles, the front wheels started making a grinding noise which was noticeable at speeds of 35mph or greater. The dealer replaced the right front hub and bearing assembly. This solved the problem. Then at 87,943 miles in September 2011, the same grinding noise happened to the rear wheels. The dealer replaced the left and right rear hub assemblies and bearings. This solved the problem. I have never owned a car that had 3 out of 4 wheel hub assemblies and bearings break.

- Westlake, OH, USA

May 022011

Highlander Hybrid

On May 2, 2011 the inverter assembly broke down.

- Nashville, TN, USA

Mar 282010

Highlander Hybrid

1. I was parking alongside the road, behind an acquaintance's vehicle. While rolling into position behind them, I experienced a sudden acceleration of my vehicle. 2. this is the first time this has occured. I smashed into the rear of the car parked in front of me at 10mph or so. Minimla damage to my SUV, other car will likely need a new rear bumper. 3. reported to Toyota and awaiting callback

- Brookfield, MA, USA

Jun 152009

Highlander Hybrid

My 2006 Toyota Highlander hybrid's brakes appear to have the same problem that is attributed to design fault in the brakes of the prius model. I bought the car used, last June 2009. The problem is that the brakes momentarily "fail" when I hit a pot hole or drive over a bumpy road -- in other words if I start braking and hit a bump, the car lurches forward for a second before continuing to slow down. (this is not antilock braking engaging -- I know what that feels like.) I have not seen this problem reported with any Toyota models other than the prius, but the descriptions I read/hear in the media are exactly what I have experienced in my car. I have had the car road tested by my mechanic -- but I could not produce or simulate the conditions that lead to the problem. But that was a couple of months ago. I experience the problem weekly, if not daily -- and it is alarming! in a panic stop on a bumpy road, results could be disastrous. Please advise those investigating prius brake problems that it may not just be a prius problem. Please advise me if there is other action I can take to notify investigators or Toyota. Thanks

- Washington, DC, USA