2.5

2008 Toyota Highlander Hybrid miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Toyota Highlander Hybrid:

2008 Toyota Highlander Hybrid Owner Comments

Jul 102016

Highlander Hybrid

Failed ABS brake accuator assembly. This is a known issue and Toyota has paid for Camry owners to have theirs fixed free of charge. The dealer wants $3800 to replace mine. With as many complaints as there are out there coupled with the danger involved with this part failing there should be a recall. It caused us to very nearly have an accident due to loss of braking power. I hope Toyota doesnt wait for someobe to be killed before they act on this.

- Bakersfield, CA, USA

Nov 082015

Highlander Hybrid

After the vehicle is driven to a stop and turned off while still in drive, reverse or neutal, there is no audible or visual warning that the car is not in safely in park. When you take your foot off the brake pedal, the car will roll away if it's on an incline.

- Portola Valley, CA, USA

Aug 142013

Highlander Hybrid

The car just stopped moving - engine was running & all systems were on. The warning systems starting displaying the following messages: Check hybrid system, check vsc system, check brake system, check 4WD system. The car had no 'limp' mode, and I was fortunate enough to coast to a parking space. Prior to this the car was running fine with no signs of failure. I had it towed to the shop and was told the hybrid inverter had gone out. Upon researching this it appears to be a common problem with the highlander's, and there was a recall on the 2006/07 models. I purchased in Jan of 2008, and by VIN research it appears my vechicle came from the same manufacturing facility as the recalled models. Also, searching on-line I found several incidents of this now in the 2008 models. I feel fortunate that I was not on the freeway, as it appears this can happen anywhere at any speed. I find it very sad that Toyota knows this hazard exists and still is not notifying or replacing these parts that they know are defective (not only not replacing, but asking consumers to pay 10K plus to repair).

- Hayward, CA, USA

Apr 082010

Highlander Hybrid

Toyota Highlander hybrid 2008 requires frequent jumping due to dead battery, this has been since I bought it, but more recently I have had to jump the car once a week.

- Pembroke, MA, USA

Jan 172010

Highlander Hybrid

I own a 2008 Toyota hybrid highlander.I have experienced a "lag" before the brakes kick in and it seems like the car is accelerating as I am braking. It ifeels as if when it happens I am hitting the brake and gas pedal at the same time. It is somewhat frightening. It has happened at least 5 times since I have owned the car. I believe it is the same issue as the preius. It feels like a brief surge. Please investigate as Toyota is not recalling the hybrid highlander. I believe it is the same technology and issue the preius is experiencing

- Coplay, PA, USA