3.7

2010 Toyota Highlander Hybrid brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Toyota Highlander Hybrid:

2010 Toyota Highlander Hybrid Owner Comments

Jun 132014

Highlander Hybrid 6-cyl

When I depress the brake to make a consistent smooth stop if the vehicle hits bumps the car seems to loose its braking power and almost feels like it slips out from under me as it lurches ahead. This problem is consistent in that it happens in the same spots under the same conditions. It seems as though it could be hazardous in certain conditions.

- Lynnfield, MA, USA

Jan 052014

Highlander Hybrid 6-cyl

My Toyota Highlander hybrid has extremely poor braking in snow / icy conditions. Even at extremely low speeds (10 to 15 mph), the car skids for tens of feet before coming to a halt. Three times so far, it caused dangerous situations because the car kept going despite full engagement of the brakes. Once, I narrowly missed being hit by a 53' truck because my car rolled into a major street, just barely getting by before the truck came through. I have attempted to talk with the dealer - the response is that hybrid cars brake differently. I have driven cars for over 30 years, and I know there is a defect in how the car's hybrid system is engaging the braking functionality. Its a shame that a car that cost 50K on the road has such a serious problem that the manufacturer and its dealers refuse to acknowledge.

- Hopkinton, MA, USA