CarComplaints.com Notes: The Toyota Matrix is the mechanical twin of the Pontiac Vibe.

Both models were a joint GM-Toyota venture, manufactured together at a NUMMI production facility in Fremont, CA. Only the heating & A/C systems are different.

8.0

1. replaced master cylinder (2 reports)
2003 Toyota Matrix brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Toyota Matrix:

2003 Toyota Matrix Owner Comments

Sep 162009

Matrix

The Toyota made master cylinder had already been replaced in this car once when the brakes started slipping again. Basically any time I needed to stop short or stop quickly I can feel the brakes slip - sometimes it's bad enough that the car shudders. It's dangerous. I took it to a different and reputable shop (we had moved, hence the different shop) and they said the master cylinder was bad again and replaced it.

Oct 132010

Matrix

I have had the Toyota made master cylinder replaced in this car twice already. I know it's the same problem because the brakes are slipping when I try to stop quickly again. Toyota says they can't help me because the part is just over a year old - even though this is the third cylinder to go bad on this car.

It's dangerous, and I'm furious. I bought this car in the hopes that I wouldn't have to buy another car for a very long time, and now forget it. I will never buy another Toyota again. Ever. And the customer service representative told me "I'm sorry you feel that way ma'am" and hung up on me.

Aug 152007

Matrix

I bought this car used from an elderly gentleman who was the original owner. I took it for a test drive and when I tried to brake going down a hill my foot went straight to the floor. The owner had the master cylinder, brake pads, and rotors replaced by a reputable auto shop and then I bought it from him. He paid five hundred for the repairs (the Toyota dealership quoted him a price of 900). This is my first rant about this problem. The master cylinder has since gone out twice more on this car.