CarComplaints.com Notes: The Toyota Matrix is the mechanical twin of the Pontiac Vibe.

Both models were a joint GM-Toyota venture, manufactured together at a NUMMI production facility in Fremont, CA. Only the heating & A/C systems are different.

2003 Toyota Matrix seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Toyota Matrix:

2003 Toyota Matrix Owner Comments (Page 2 of 4)

Jan 282015

Matrix

The contact owns a 2003 Toyota Matrix. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign numbers: 15V285000 (air bags) and 15V043000 (air bags); however, the parts were not available in the contact's region. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Grandview, MO, USA

Aug 092015

Matrix 4-cyl

Last May 5 melody Toyota san bruno told me they have to do a recall on the front passenger airbag inflator. And it was fine for 3 months. Then on Aug. 9 when I was taking my cousin to the airport (sfo) the SRS warning light just came on all the way straight home. And I drove back to melody Toyota last Tuesday since they told me they can't attend to me last Monday because technician shortage. After they made the diagnosis on my car they said there's a short circuit on my airbag spiral cable clock spring w/C is located inside the steering wheel. They said if this spiral cable is defective all the airbags in my car is disabled and will not deploy if I hit another car or a tree w/C is really life threatening. My question is why do I have to pay $550 to get that spiral cable replaced. And on the other hand my car doesn't have any problem not until when they replace that front passenger airbag inflator last May 5. they even ask me if I had an accident recently. I think they should know that since they've been doing all the services on my car for 6 years. Or is there any recall on this spiral cable? I hope you give me an answer to this question. Also please this complaint will be anonymous for now. Thank you

- San Bruno, CA, USA

Jan 202015

Matrix

The contact owns a 2003 Toyota Matrix. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 15V043000 (air bags); however, the part needed to do the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was not notified of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Ocala, FL, USA

Feb 032015

Matrix 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2003 Toyota Matrix. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign numbers: 15V286000 (air bags) and 15V043000 (air bags). The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure. MA 10/6 the consumer stated the air bag light illuminated. Updated 01/25/16.

- Payson, UT, USA

Oct 042014

Matrix

The air bag warning light came on dash and I was told the driver side air bag had to be replaced. I had to pay $1196.69 because it was not under a recall even though I had 3 other recalls which included the passenger air bag inflator, air bag wire harness and the center air bag sensor assembly. So with all the safety recalls on the passenger side air bag system, I do not understand why the driver air bag is not covered on any safety recall? I really think this should be covered under a safety recall since I was told by the rep at the Toyota dealer the air bag will not work when this air bag warning light is on.

- Clearwater, FL, USA

Mar 122015

Matrix

The contact owns a 2003 Toyota Matrix. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 15V285000 (air bags); however, the part needed to perform the repair was unavailable. The manufacturer stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was not notified of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Townson, MD, USA

Jan 272015

Matrix

The contact owns a 2003 Toyota Corolla matrix. The contact stated that NHTSA campaign number: 15V043000 (air bags) exceeded a reasonable amount of time for repair. The dealer stated that the parts were not available. The manufacturer had not determined a solution to deter the failure. The VIN was associated with the recall since January 27, 2015. The vehicle could not be repaired. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Metairie , LA, USA

Jun 102014

Matrix

The contact owns a 2003 Toyota Matrix. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign numbers: 15V013000 (electrical system) and 14V312000 (air bags); however, the part needed to do the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Cleveland, OH, USA

Dec 252014

Matrix

The contact owns a 2003 Toyota Matrix. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign numbers: 15V043000 (air bags) and 14V312000 (electrical system); however, the parts needed to do the repairs were unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repairs. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Chicago , IL, USA

Mar 282015

Matrix

I was notified in March that my car had a bad airbag and I would be notified when it would be replaced. I just talked to my dealer and they have no idea when it will get done. That seems un acceptable to me that we have 3/4 of a car til it gets replaced. Shouldn't there be a timetable on recalls? thank you.

- Eyota, MN, USA

May 282015

Matrix 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2003 Toyota Corolla matrix. The contact received an interim notification for NHTSA campaign number: 15V043000 (air bags) in March of 2015; however, the parts needed to do the repair were still not available. The contact felt the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure. Updated 7/14/15 updated 07/21/15

- Baltimore, MD, USA

Feb 202015

Matrix

The contact owns a 2003 Toyota Matrix. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign numbers: 15V043000 (air bags) and 14V312000 (air bags). The contact stated that the part was not available within a reasonable amount of time to repair the vehicle. The dealer did not give a specific date for when the part would become available. The manufacturer was notified. The contact had not experienced a failure. MA 10/15/2015

- Carson City, NV, USA

May 192015

Matrix

The contact owns a 2003 Toyota Matrix. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign numbers: 15V043000 (air bags) and 14V312000 (air bags); however, the parts needed to repair the vehicle were unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was not notified. The VIN was invalid. The contact had not experienced a failure. Updated 8/10/15

- Mankato, MN, USA

Jan 272015

Matrix 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2003 Toyota Matrix. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign numbers: 15V043000 and 14V312000 (air bags) however, the parts to do the repairs were unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repairs. The manufacturer was made of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure. Updated 6/17/15 updated 11/23/2015

- Bradely , IL, USA

May 012015

Matrix 4-cyl

2003 Toyota Matrix. Consumer writes in regards to the airbag inflator recall notice issues. The consumer was informed the parts were not available.

- Seattle, WA, USA

Mar 242015

Matrix 4-cyl

While stopped at a red light, the driver side airbag in my 2003 Toyota matrix deployed striking me in the head/chest area. Stunned and disoriented, I didn't realize what had happened until a good samaritan helped me out of the car. She was telling me to exit the car, however, my seatbelt had retracted and locked with such tension, that I was barely able to reach across and press the release button. After the driver side airbag deployed the passenger airbag deployed as well, causing damage to the windshield. There was one or two subsequent explosions - I am unsure what those noises were. I was able to put the car in park and exit the vehicle. A police officer was nearby and heard the explosion and came over to check on the situation. He tried turning the car off, but the horn was stuck and continued to honk - he then decided to turn the vehicle back on, which stopped the honking of the horn. The car was still able to be driven and an officer drove the car across the street to a local Toyota dealership. My car still sits in the lot where Toyota has performed inspections, diagnostic tests, downloaded data and compiled a report (of which I have not received a copy of) that has been sent to Toyota legal. Ironically, I received a recall in the mail one week after the incident for an SRS / ECU recall.

- Delaware, OH, USA

Apr 012015

Matrix

The contact owns a 2003 Toyota Matrix. The contact stated that the notice for NHTSA campaign number: 14V312000 (air bags) was received in April of 2015. The parts needed for the repair were not available. After contacting the dealer, the contact was informed that no appointment could be scheduled until the parts became available. No further information was available. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- New Boston, NH, USA

Feb 072015

Matrix 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2003 Toyota Matrix. While driving approximately 15 mph, the contact's vehicle crashed into the rear end of another vehicle. The frontal air bags failed to deploy. It were no injuries sustained. It was unknown if a police report was filed. The vehicle was towed to the contact's residence. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 110,000. Updated 5/29/15 the consumer stated there was too much damaged caused for such a low speed impact accident. The bumper, radiator and engine were all damaged durning the accident. Updated 11/6/15

- Lake Elsinore, CA, USA

Sep 152014

Matrix

The contact owns a 2003 Toyota Matrix. The contact received a notification for NHTSA campaign number: 14V312000 (air bags) in September of 2014; however, the dealer stated that the parts needed to do the repair were still not available. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Baltimore, MD, USA

Jun 012014

Matrix 4-cyl

I can not get a straight answer from Toyota, both my local dealer and the corporate office regarding a passenger air bag recall (front passenger airbag inflator module). It's been almost a full year, and no one can tell me when this repair will be done. The last letter I received (Feb. 3, 2015) from Toyota, said they are working on states with high humidity first. Their solution, is not to drive the vehicle and use public transportation, and rent a vehicle. This is not a solution. I live in Massachusetts, and it gets pretty humid during the summer months. I think Toyota thinks the longer they wait the fewer recalls they will have to perform as the vehicles are getting older and older.

- Fall River, MA, USA