Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The Toyota Matrix is the mechanical twin of the Pontiac Vibe.

Both models were a joint GM-Toyota venture, manufactured together at a NUMMI production facility in Fremont, CA. Only the heating & A/C systems are different.

2004 Toyota Matrix brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Toyota Matrix:

2004 Toyota Matrix Owner Comments

Aug 042016

I was backing down my driveway when my car suddenly accelerated-the brakes and steering also went out-I crashed into a bank on one side of the road, then the car swung around and I ended up suspended over a ditch. I was finally able to switch gears and turn the car off

- Salem, VA, USA

Nov 032013

Matrix 4-cyl

I was traveling at approximately 35 mph when I first started to apply pressure to my brakes. There was no tension what so ever. I was standing on them and the brake petal was hitting the floor. As a result, I ran though a stop sign and hit a concrete barrier. My steering wheel also locked up and my airbag never deployed. I lost my entire front bumper and the tank that holds the windshield fluid was cracked. The car was towed. I contacted Toyota's manufacturer and was told " it happens". I feel that there was a defect in the braking system and the airbag system. All I want is my car fixed but no one will give me the time of day. I bought the car in February of this year at a Toyota dealership. The car was pre-certified. Thank you.

- Delran, NJ, USA