CarComplaints.com Notes: The Toyota Matrix is the mechanical twin of the Pontiac Vibe.

Both models were a joint GM-Toyota venture, manufactured together at a NUMMI production facility in Fremont, CA. Only the heating & A/C systems are different.

8.0

1. replacement (1 reports)
2004 Toyota Matrix drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Toyota Matrix:

2004 Toyota Matrix Owner Comments

Dec 062010

Matrix 4cl

I noticed a loud whine that went louder the faster I drove, took it to my very honest auto mechanic. He diagnosed that the rear differential was gonzo, He said even though my warranty was over 60 months I only had 55,000 miles and with all of toyota's problems they really should cover it differential should never go at such low millage.I have never had my car towed and I'm a stickler on up keep. When we talked to the dealership about it they said it's over warranty and they said it might be thousands to fix. We called their customer services they were polite....but the answer is, it's not covered. We are now having it fixed by our honest and fair (and a heck of a lot cheaper) reliable mechanic.

- , Auburn, MA, USA