CarComplaints.com Notes: The Toyota Matrix is the mechanical twin of the Pontiac Vibe.

Both models were a joint GM-Toyota venture, manufactured together at a NUMMI production facility in Fremont, CA. Only the heating & A/C systems are different.

$4,000.00

1. rebuilt engine (2 reports)
2004 Toyota Matrix engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Toyota Matrix:

2004 Toyota Matrix Owner Comments

Aug 112015

Matrix

Today on my way to work the car started making a ticking noise, that turned to rattle when I hit the gas. After a few miles, the noise became louder, as I was on a major highway. I made my way off to a side road and the engine died. Dead! Waiting for the tow truck, I noticed that oil leaked from under the engine. There were no leaks of any fluids before that.

I had the car towed to Canadian Tire -a couple of miles from where it died-and they pronounced it to have a hole in the engine, has the car is now a second car and my son mainly drives it, we decided to scrap it, not worth fixing for 3 to 4 thousand dollars. I was very surprised to find so many complaints about this model of car. Very disappointed, I thought we would get more time with it, has it was bought new and maintained, with no major problems, other than normal car maintenance.

- , Hamilton, ON, Canada

Jul 102009

Matrix

Well... bought this car certified from a toyota dealership. Bought the extended warranty they pitched to me (also with the maintenance plan). Had car oil changes/ maintenance done every due date. Bought car around 42k miles, failed around 60k. I drove 800 miles to Michigan, on the way back I heard cylinders hitting. I pulled over, oil showed almost empty. I put in some quarts, drove home. The next day it was practically empty again so I filled it up more and took it to the dealer. The warranty covered the issue, though the dealership said it was a probably from a bad valve. Thank god I had the warranty, but this is ridiculous ...60k miles...really?!?

- , Tallahassee, FL, USA