Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The Toyota Matrix is the mechanical twin of the Pontiac Vibe.

Both models were a joint GM-Toyota venture, manufactured together at a NUMMI production facility in Fremont, CA. Only the heating & A/C systems are different.

2007 Toyota Matrix drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Toyota Matrix:

2007 Toyota Matrix Owner Comments

Feb 142015

Matrix 4-cyl

I brought my Matrix to Toyota of bellevue with concerns about the clutch and transmission shortly after its purchase. I was brushed off saying this is just how Toyota's drive. Well I guess they weren't lying about that because I am among many owners that have had their bearing in their transmission fail prematurely. I was going 65 miles an hour down the freeway when I lost control of my vehicle. I was lucky enough to be in the right lane and came safely to a stop but this could have easily ended badly for my passenger and I. to top it off my 7 year warranty I purchased was misleading. It was for 7 years from the first owner and even though I own a 2007 the warranty started in 2006. None of this was explained to me and in fact the writing from the dealer in the warranty guide shows my date of purchase as 2010 and subsequently reads as the warranty is valid until 2017 or 100,000 miles. My Matrix is at 95,000 miles if I had not bought the warranty my car would be paid off. I'm now stuck with repair costs for a faulty part that should be recalled and I still owe on my car. We are a Toyota family and I hope they own up to recall so I can continue to stay loyal to this company.

- Hood River, OR, USA

Sep 302009

The contact owns a 2007 Toyota Matrix. The contact stated that while driving at 30 mph, the engine stalled without warning. The contact was able to restart the vehicle. The failure occurred on numerous occasions. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic, who diagnosed that the spark plugs and coils needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 76,000.

- Baytown , TX, USA