CarComplaints.com Notes: The Toyota Matrix is the mechanical twin of the Pontiac Vibe.

Both models were a joint GM-Toyota venture, manufactured together at a NUMMI production facility in Fremont, CA. Only the heating & A/C systems are different.

2.1

2007 Toyota Matrix miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Toyota Matrix:

2007 Toyota Matrix Owner Comments

Nov 192014

Matrix

Exterior door handles all broke off making it difficult to enter car, which makes it difficult to open door to enter car or open door to remove children

- Port Charlotte, FL, USA

Jun 012011

Matrix

I am greatly concerned about the fact that how Toyota is handling manufacturing defects could lead to the injuries or deaths of its customers. We received information from Toyota saying that the onboard computer for the car was defective and needed to be replaced. However, the company did nothing for months despite repeated phone calls. Toyota representatives on the phone initially provided no help in getting the problem resolved. We finally got permission to bring the car to a dealer for repair, which also had the engine light on (there can be many reasons for this, but they should be easily identified. I had to wait several hours because the initial replacement was also defective (I believe the date was 6/8/11). As I drove away from the dealership, which was now closed, the engine light came back on. We had to bring back the car, and were told that the 02 sensor was defective. I have read on the internet (although I don't know the accuracy of this) that Toyota has been putting defective O2 sensors in cars that don't last as long as they should (ours only has 42K). We then had to pay an independent mechanic with a much higher customer service rating than Toyota dealers have to find out what is actually wrong with the car. The problem was confused by the fact that the onboard computer was not consistent or accurate. For days the engine light was on, for days it was off. These mechanics said that the Toyota dealer made an error and did not clear the computer's history so any future problem could be easily identified. So they cleared the history and we had to bring the car back in a few days. They then replaced the apparently defective O2 sensor. We hope this is over but don't have great confidence. There have been many problems reported with the Matrix. Edmunds.com reports that "a periodic problem with this vehicle is failure of the powertrain control."

- Springfield, VA, USA