CarComplaints.com Notes: The Toyota Matrix is the mechanical twin of the Pontiac Vibe.

Both models were a joint GM-Toyota venture, manufactured together at a NUMMI production facility in Fremont, CA. Only the heating & A/C systems are different.

4.0

2007 Toyota Matrix wheels / hubs problems

wheels / hubs problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Toyota Matrix:

2007 Toyota Matrix Owner Comments

Oct 082008

Matrix

Maus Toyota refuses to replace "flying hupcaps"! (orlando) -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- hi, I purchased a 2007 Matrix new from maus Toyota and all 4 hubcaps came off when driving because they were only held on with plastic clips. I have talked to other Matrix owners and seen many Matrixs with missing hubcaps. Maus Toyota says it will replace the hubcaps for $77. Each! I told maus that Toyota should recall the 2007 Matrixs before someone gets hurt by a flying hubcap coming off at 60mph and there should be no replacement charge because it is Toyota's fault for using weak plastic clips to hold their hubcaps on! I hope wesh can help hundreds of "ugly" Matrix owners get free, safe replacement hubcaps from Toyota and recall the dangerous loose ones now on their 2007 Matrixs. I can send a photo if necessary.

- Orange City, FL, USA

Jun 122008

Matrix

I have had four wheel covers come off at high speeds. In two cases I was able to hear noises and this represented the wheel cover hitting objects as it would have been traveling over 60 miles per hour. The automobile is a 2007 Toyota Matrix without any options. Thus it is factory equipped with plastic covers that slowly work their way loose due to the very little construction of the cover and the flexing of the wheel that will occur. I contacted Toyota. I was told in a somewhat arrogant voice that they do "not" have a problem. This is a problem and at some point in time one of these covers will stick a person. I have now changed to a Toyota camery wheel cover. This cover has a great deal of additional parts to it. It has springs and an additional material that prevents the slow movement of the wheel cover from coming off. I lost a total of the original covers. Toyota is charging in excess of $70 for a replacement. Thus if it was my car I might be delighted that I am profiting from a poor engineering mistake. This experience from having contacted Toyota allows me to have an appreciation for what must be arrogance at the upper level management of this corporation. Strong measures should be applied and the source of this poor attitude should be weeded out of this corporation.

- Stockton, CA, USA