Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The Toyota Matrix is the mechanical twin of the Pontiac Vibe.

Both models were a joint GM-Toyota venture, manufactured together at a NUMMI production facility in Fremont, CA. Only the heating & A/C systems are different.

2009 Toyota Matrix body / paint problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Toyota Matrix:

2009 Toyota Matrix Owner Comments

Oct 302014

Matrix 4-cyl

The paint on my matrix is bubbling and peeling, now my car is rusting. I live in Florida, so no salt issues, this should not be happening to a 5 year old car. Reading online that this is a major problem with Toyota's that are built in the usa and with silver paint. My car is metallic dark silver. This should be a recall.

- Boynton Beach, FL, USA

Apr 022013

I was involved in an accident where a driver T-boned my vehicle on the drivers side, the drivers side door took the worst damage along with the roof molding, fender and quarter panel, state farm declared the car a total. I called Toyota and open a case because the air bag sensor number 3 in the owners manual in the drivers side door did not deploy, I sent Toyota 12 pictures with the damage and the door was the worse, the rep assigned to my case was in complete denial and said that sensor would not have deployed the airbag even if I were killed! he just washed his hands with my case and ran me around about the door sensor and why is it there if it doesn't work is my question. Should I seek legal council or just let Toyota off the hook? don't think its fair to us consumers.

- Blue Island, IL, USA