Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The Toyota Matrix is the mechanical twin of the Pontiac Vibe.

Both models were a joint GM-Toyota venture, manufactured together at a NUMMI production facility in Fremont, CA. Only the heating & A/C systems are different.

2009 Toyota Matrix engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Toyota Matrix:

2009 Toyota Matrix Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

Jan 012009

The contact owns a 2009 Toyota Matrix. While driving approximately 5 mph, the vehicle suddenly accelerated and crashed into a parked vehicle. There were no injuries nor was a police report filed. The failure recurred while the contact was driving approximately 50 mph; the vehicle suddenly surged as the brake pedal was depressed. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer where the accelerator pedal was repaired, the floor mat was removed and the vehicle was recalibrated. The failure mileage was approximately 25,000. The current mileage was approximately 35,000.

- Bayonne, NJ, USA

Jul 062009

The contact owns a 2009 Toyota Matrix. The contact stated that the vehicle suddenly accelerated rapidly after she depressed the accelerator pedal to make a left turn. The vehicle crashed into another vehice. The air bags did not deploy. Both the contact and driver of the other vehicle sustained neck injuries; a police report was filed. The vehicle was towed to an authorized dealership where it was repaired at the contacts expense. The manufacturer called the contact and requested to take the vehicle apart to repair the problem. The contact wanted reimbursement for the repairs and wanted to give the vehicle back, as she was still experiencing sudden acceleration intermittently. The failure mileage was approximately 289. The current mileage was approximately 2,900.

- Columbus , GA, USA

Mar 252010

It is reported regarding the Toyota sudden acceleration recall that for owners who have had the first attempt to correct the problem (install metal reinforcement bars in the accelerator) and the attempt did not work Toyota would replace the entire accelerator assembly at the vehicle owner's request. I have had problems with the unintended acceleration, had the first repair attempt completed and I still have the problem. I called my local Toyota dealer where I purchased the vehicle and was told that Toyota will now refuse to perform this second attempt until next month when another different type of "fix" will be scheduled (shaving the accelerator pedal). My vehicle does not have floor mats and I find this excuse unacceptable.

- Valencia, CA, USA

Jan 132010

Ltr fwd fm (ne) re unintended sudden acceleration from owner of a 2009 Toyota Matrix involved in an auto accident on 1/13/2010, reply to omaha, ne ofc. The consumer stated he rear ended another vehicle while attempting to brake, but instead the vehicle continued to accelerate. The consumer stated the police did not write up police report. The consumer also stated the air bags failed to deploy. Upon inspection, it was determined the air bag sensors were fried, probably well before the accident.

- Unknown, NE, USA

Mar 052010

The contact owns a 2009 Toyota Matrix. While driving 30 mph the gas pedal stuck and the vehicle accelerated. The contact applied the brakes and the emergency brake and the vehicle did not slow down. The vehicle crashed into the curb causing damage to the under carriage. The air bags deployed and the contact injured her arm. The contact has not called the manufacturer at this time. The failure mileage was unknown.

- Rio Rancho, NM, USA

Feb 092010

The contact owns a 2009 Toyota Corolla matrix. The contact had the first pedal replaced and one week later, the contact had another sudden acceleration occur while driving 5 mph through a parking lot. The contact also had an incident while sitting at a traffic light. The vehicle started to make a roaring sound and moving forward while the contact had her foot on the brakes. A mechanic diagnosed the failure and stated that the vehicle seemed fine. Toyota also inspected the vehicle stating that nothing was wrong with it. The contact did not have the VIN# available when the complaint was filed. The failure mileage was 18500. The current mileage was 18500.

- Brewster, MA, USA

Mar 082009

I recently bought a 2010 Toyota Camry and was never contacted by the dealership or Toyota about the two recalls on my car. When I called the dealership to make an appointment to fix my car, I was told by the service person that why did I need to fix it for, he acted like he didn't even know about the recalls. They made me wait two weeks for the appointment and then had to keep my car for a whole day. Before the 2010 Camry I had bought a 2009 Matrix through another dealership and I finally this past week received a safety recall on that vehicle, well unfortunately I don't have the car anymore since I had a car accident in March of 2009, where I almost lost my life. Had I known the vehicle had issues I would have immediately returned the car. I went through months of physical agony and medical appointments and today I am still not better a year later. I feel that I was betrayed by Toyota not once but twice. I would never buy another vehicle from Toyota. I feel that the way they handled this whole recall situation is unethical. I could have lost my life and never known about the car problems. Then I watch the news and see that there has been many deaths because of this and I could have been another statistic.

- Lynn, MA, USA

Feb 202010

The contact owns a 2009 Toyota Matrix. The contact stated that they never had an acceleration problem until after having the vehicle repaired. While pulling out of a parking space, and driving 10 mph, the vehicle jerked forward and then settled down. The RPM jumped up and then went back down. The failure mileage was 28213 and the current mileage was 28500.

- Natchitoches, LA, USA

Feb 222010

My 2009 Toyota Matrix was on the recall list for gas pedals that may stick or accelerate without cause. I took the car into rice Toyota in greensboro nc where it was purchased. They performed the recommended repair on Feb. 13, 2010. On Feb. 22, I started my car and it accelerated without cause. The floor mat was in its proper position. I tapped the gas pedal lightly to "unstick" it. This did not work. I turned off the engine and waited a few minutes and restarted it without incident. I had not had any problems with this car prior to the "fix" and haven't had any since the Feb. 22 incident. Now what do I do?? I've contacted the dealership. They are willing to look at it but have said there isn't anything they know that is causing this and told me to contact Toyota. I will do that today if I can get through.

- Reidsville, , NC, USA

Feb 242010

On February 11, I took my 2009 Toyota Matrix to motorcars Toyota of cleveland heights, Ohio, to have the car repaired in the gas pedal recall. While there, I was informed of another recall on the car, on its brakes. Both of these issues were address and I picked the car up on February 13th. On February 24 at 7:45am, I was driving westbound on I-90 in westlake, Ohio; it was snowing and the roads were wet, unsalted. As I was rounding a corner near the crocker bassett exit, my car began to skid. I immediately began to pump the brakes and attempt to straighten my car out, but the brakes did not engage. I firmly pressed down on the brakes and nothing happened; I then tried the emergency brake and the car still did not slow down. I was unable to regain control of the vehicle and it began to spin out and to the left. I pumped the brakes as hard and fast as I could, but the brakes never engaged and my car hit the cement median at 55mph. Due to a build up of snow and ice against the median, my car was propelled into the air and landed on its roof. My airbags did not deploy in the crash.

- Cleveland, OH, USA

Feb 202010

Had the recall issue with the gas pedal fixed - however when trying to make a turn in traffic there is a hesitation before the car goes! it is only a few seconds of a delay, however dangerous when you need the car to go. On going issue - does not do it every time so it really catches you off guard.

- Ash Grove, MO, USA

Jun 302009

2009 Toyota Matrix since purchase has had a throttle/brake/transmission anomaly the car accelerates suddenly when going down a big hill or whenever I brake approaching a red light. Additional brake pressure - so far - has stopped the car..but I expect a vehicle to slow down not accelerate when I use the brake pedal. The recall fix has been applied - same action. I am concerned I am driving a vehicle that may suddenly cause a life threatening problem, for me or someone in front of my vehicle. Dealer shrugged - expected the recall to work.

- Eugene, OR, USA

Feb 262010

I have a 2009 Toyota Matrix. I purchased it in November of 2008. In October of 2009 the car had roughly 7,000 miles on it. I experienced my first incident of unintended acceleration. I drove up a hill to a stop sign and as I braked the car lurched forward. I put both feet on the brake and put the car in neutral. I thought that I might have some how had my foot on the gas, so I did not think it was a serious concern. However, I had two more similar incidents in the following months. Both pulling up to stop signs. Both times I heard the engine start to accelerate and was able to control it. When I heard about the Toyota recall I immediately called and had my car serviced. The Toyota dealer did recall work on my brakes and gas pedal on February 10th, 2010. On February 26th, I was driving about 5 mph in a parking area with my son. I put my foot on the brake and I felt the car push forward. I put my other foot on the brake as well. My son said "its doing it again mom!" I put it in neutral and we both heard the engine wind out like I had pushed the gas pedal to the floor. This obviously means the recall "fix" isn't working! I contacted my dealer and am getting a loaner car. I am very concerned what this means in terms of future safety and my monetary investment in this car.

- Ashtabula, OH, USA

Feb 192010

The contact owns a 2009 Toyota Matrix. He stated that while driving 25 mph the vehicle accelerated without a warning when he applied the brakes and hit a telephone pole. The vehicle has front end damage and there were no injuries. There is no police report available. The vehicle was then towed to an auto body shop where they are investigating the cause of the acceleration. There have been no repairs. The failure and current mileages were 42000.

- Baltimore, MD, USA

Jan 142010

2009 Toyota Matrix. Vehicle surges forward when shifting from park to drive, also when shifting into reverse. It happens sporadically. Herrin-gear Toyota, jackson ms says this is a different issue from the sticking gas pedal, this was approx one month ago. They have finished recall work for sticking pedal but have not addressed the surging problem.

- Brandon, MS, USA

Feb 052010

In parking garage at place of employment - as I began to pull into a parking space, the car suddenly accelerated. I immediately hit the brakes with no effect. The car continued to accelerate until it hit the wall of the garage. Toyota dealership refused to inspect the vehicle until body damage is repaired. Currently waiting for a Toyota inspector to make an appointment to inspec the vehicle.

- Delray Beach, FL, USA

Nov 272009

The contact owns a 2009 Matrix. While driving 35 mph, she decreased speed and placed her foot on the brakes; however, the vehicle accelerated and crashed into another vehicle. The vehicle continued to accelerate even after the crash occurred until the contact shifted into neutral gear and came to a stop. There were no injuries. A police report is available if needed. The vehicle was towed to a dealer to be inspected by a technician. The VIN was unknown. The failure mileage was 30,000.

- Portsmouth, NH, USA

Feb 032010

The first thing I noticed was that the accelerator pedal would not accelerate when I stepped on it going onto the on-ramp, about a month ago. On Tuesday, I went to the dealer and they said they didn't have the parts yet, that they would call me, and that they didn't even know what to do with the parts when they got here. They said they had one of those courses two weeks ago, but what they learned there does not really apply to the problems that are coming on now. So even when they got the parts, they would have to figure out what to do with them. I tried to ask for a replacement or something of the sort, and they said that they didn't even have any cars to provide me because all the models on the lot were included in the recall. The next day (yesterday), I tried to stop at a stop sign and it diminished the speed but it did not stop completely. It didn't stop until the middle of the intersection and I got a ticket.

- Forest Park, GA, USA

Nov 182009

I would like to reprt serious problems with the accelerator (unintended acceleration) and brake problems (don't stop well) of my Toyota Matrix model 2009.

- West Des Moines, IA, USA

Mar 062009

I purchased a 09 Toyota Matrix 5dr, 2wd, cuv on 1/24/09. During the first week in March 2009 I was driving on a 45 mph city street going a little less than the speed limit when all of a sudden my car sped up. I gave the gas pedal a tap thinking it had just stuck, but the motor kept racing as I picked up speed. I took my foot off the gas pedal and put my foot on the brake pedal, but the car would not slow down. I never looked to see how fast I was going, I was too busy, trying to slow down and find a place to pull over before I caught up to the car ahead of me and rammed into it. Luckily the traffic was light and the car in front of me a ways off, and I was in an outer lane and found a place to pull in, continuing to press down on the brake pedal as hard as I could. I immediately turned off the key and put the car in park. I tried to start it up again after a few minutes, but the motor continued to race in park. I tuned the ignition off, and I then discovered that a floor mat had slipped under the gas pedal, so I pulled it out and started the car again. I started normally. My heart was racing and it took me more than an hour to get my emotions under control because I knew what could have happened had I been driving on nearby rt. 95 where traffic moves at a fast clip and there is really nowhere to pull over. A few months later I saw on tv about other people having the same problem, but with heart wrenching results. I called Toyota headquarters and had the incident documented. It has only been a few days that I saw the recall in the newspaper, so I am waiting to hear from Toyota.

- Melbourne, FL, USA