CarComplaints.com Notes: The Toyota Matrix is the mechanical twin of the Pontiac Vibe.

Both models were a joint GM-Toyota venture, manufactured together at a NUMMI production facility in Fremont, CA. Only the heating & A/C systems are different.

2009 Toyota Matrix seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Toyota Matrix:

2009 Toyota Matrix Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Jun 092016

Matrix

Takata recall. The contact owns a 2009 Toyota Matrix. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 16V340000 (air bags); however, the part to do the recall repair was not available. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was not made aware of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure. VIN tool confirms parts not available.

- San Diego, CA, USA

Nov 072016

Matrix

Takata recall. The contact owns a 2009 Toyota Matrix. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 16V340000 (air bags). The part to do the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was not made aware of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Lincoln, CA, USA

Matrix

Takata recall. The contact owns a 2009 Toyota Corolla matrix. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 16V340000 (air bags) and stated that the part needed for the repair was not available. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure. VIN tool confirms parts not available.

- San Antonio, TX, USA

Nov 012016

Matrix

Takata recall: The speed in which Toyota is remediating this problem is unacceptable. My car is my family's primary vehicle. The solution of not riding in the front seat until the car is officially recalled does not work for my family of four, since I have 2 car seats that take up my back seat. I feel that my life is in danger every time the four of us ride in the car. It now has been approximately 5 months since I was notified about my defective airbags.

- College Park, GA, USA

Jul 092016

Matrix

Takata recall. The contact owns a 2009 Toyota Matrix. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 16V340000 (air bags); however, the part to do the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was notified of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure. VIN tool confirms parts not available.

- Tampa, FL, USA

Jul 272016

Matrix

Takata recall 16V-340: I was notified by Toyota that my vehicle was subject to the takata airbag recall for passenger side airbags 3 months ago. The dealer indicated that a replacement part was not yet available and was unable to give me an estimated timeframe in which it would be available for replacement. I am concerned about the safety risk. The Toyota notification indicated that if I believe that the dealer or Toyota has failed or is unable to remedy the defect within a reasonable time frame, I may submit a complaint to NHTSA via this site, and so am doing so. Toyota is responsible for ensuring that vehicles meet safety standards and that when a safety concern is identified it is addressed in a timely and responsible manner. The manufacturer has failed in this regard. It is unreasonable to ask vehicle owners to operate the vehicle without a passenger in the front seat until the manufacturer can get around to fixing the problem.

- Norcross, GA, USA

Oct 212016

Matrix 4-cyl

Takata recall I haven't been able to drive with a passenger in my car for five months now. It is impeding my way of life. Also, I don't feel safe driving the car at all, but I have no choice. I think it is well past the time these airbags were fixed.

- Ventura, CA, USA

Matrix

The contact owns a 2009 Toyota Corolla matrix. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 16V340000 (air bags); however, the part to do the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The VIN was invalid. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Charlotte, NC, USA

Matrix

Takata recall, when is this going to be fixed"???? I have a family and its a pain in the ass to only fit three people, no one sits in front cause of risk of death!! really"

- Victorville, CA, USA

Oct 012016

Matrix 4-cyl

Toyota Matrix. Consumer writes in regards to passenger airbag recall notice (16V-340) issues. The consumer also stated the was an issue with the drive side window.

- Miramar, FL, USA

Sep 132016

Matrix

My fiance' and I received a recall notice from Toyota for a safety recall to remedy the sprial cable that controls the airbag warning light. The recall notice told us to take the car to a Toyota dealership to have the car repaired free of charge. When we took the car for repair they said it had already been repaired and after checking with the manufacturer they stated it had been fixed on March 2, 2016 in NJ. The car was in Maryland on that date under my ownership so we do not understand how they could have repaired the car. They want to charge us for the diagnostics and possibly the repair since they insist that the car was already repaired. We have an airbag warning light located on the instrument panel that will not go off. This warning light is the same light on the recall notice. Toyota does not want to fix it without a fee, and they believe they have already fixed the problem. The light remains on our car to date. We would like an investigation of this mater before seeking legal counsel to rectify the safety problem. The vehicle was parked when the light illuminated and does not go off while driving the car.

- Oxon Hill, MD, USA

Aug 012016

Matrix

Takata recall - I received a notice in the mail stating that my vehicle has this defect. There is currently no remedy for the problem and the only suggestion is that I do not operate my vehicle with a passenger.

- Jacksonville, FL, USA

Aug 262016

Matrix

Takata recall: I first found out about this recall in February 2016. It is now the end of August 2016. How long are Toyota and takata going let their customers drive in vehicles in which one of the key safety features (my air bag) could cause a worse injury than the accident itself?

- Colorado Springs, CO, USA

Matrix

Have heard nothing from Toyota regarding recall on takata airbag.

- Orlando, FL, USA

Jun 062016

Matrix

Takata recall. The contact owns a 2009 Toyota Matrix. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 16V340000 (air bags) and stated that the remedy was not yet available to provide the parts for the repair. The dealer did not give a specific date for when the part would become available. The manufacturer could not provide an estimated date for when the vehicle would receive the recall repair. The contact had not experienced a failure. VIN tool confirms parts not available.

- Mandeville, LA, USA

Jul 012016

Matrix

"takata recall" I feel like Toyota is not coming up with a remedy fast enough. I feel scared driving my car cause anything can cause the airbag to erupt.

- Claremont, CA, USA

Jul 222016

Matrix

Takata recall. The contact owns a 2009 Toyota Corolla matrix. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 16V340000 (air bags); however, the parts for the recall repair was not available. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was not notified of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure. VIN tool confirms parts not available.

- San Rafael, CA, USA

Feb 052015

Matrix

The contact owned a 2009 Toyota Corolla matrix. While driving 50 mph, the vehicle accelerated independently and crashed into a rail several times. The air bags failed to deploy. The contact sustained injuries to the neck, arm, and back that required medical attention. A police report was filed. The vehicle was destroyed. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was unknown...updated 11/02/15 updated 12/03/15

- Rochester Hills , MI, USA

Sep 022014

Matrix

Matrix rear ended a Mercury Mountaineer at about 35-40 miles per hour. The entire front end of the Matrix went under the Mountaineer's bumper. The entire front end of Matrix was pushed back into the coolant system. Both head lights were pushed into the engine compartment. The bumper was almost detached and on the ground. The hood was pushed back on itself about 3 feet.the airbag did not deploy. My daughter was driving the Matrix and her head hit the steering wheel. She suffered a concussion.

- Evansville , IN, USA

May 102014

Matrix

The contact owns a 2009 Toyota Matrix. The contact stated that the air bag light would recurringly flash until it permanently remained illuminated. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The contact stated that the vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign id number: 14V168000 (air bags). The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 60,000.

- Hialeah, FL, USA