2.0

2003 Toyota Prius engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Toyota Prius:

2003 Toyota Prius Owner Comments

Jun 012004

Prius

The contact owns a 2003 Toyota Prius. The contact stated his vehicle had been to the dealer approximately thirty times for various safety failures. The contact had experienced the vehicle stalling without warning while traveling uphill at speeds of 25 mph, the instrument panel warning lights remained illuminated, the vehicle would not engage from battery to gasoline power when warranted, and the contact intermittently was unable to move the gear shift selector into the reverse position. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where he advised that there may be engine oil in the throttle causing the stalling issues. The contact was awaiting a hybrid expert to further inspect the vehicle. The failure mileage was approximately 30,000 and the current mileage was approximately 97,300.

- Stillwater , NY, USA

Jan 052008

Prius 4-cyl

After a series of problems with the Prius engine the local Toyota dealer informed me that I needed to have the car's transmission replaced. Naturally the vehicle is no longer covered by its warranty. Back ground: 2003 Prius, odometer reading 116,289. On 12/22/2008, I started the car and the check engine light appeared. I was towed to the dealership. The dealership informed me that the gasoline engine shut down and the battery ran out of power. The dealership could not reproduce the problem. On 12/27/2008, I started the car and the check engine light appeared again. I had the car towed to the Toyota dealer. The dealership discovered oil in the intake manifold as per a tsb. The dealership did not charge me for part of the repairs. On 01/04/2008, I was driving when an intermittent grinding noise began on both braking and acceleration. I found that the noise disappeared if I braked and accelerated extremely gently. I immediately drove to the dealership. When I went to the dealership, I was told that the problem could be as simple as a shim in the braking system that may have slipped out of position. I authorized an estimate of $52.52. The following day, a service person of the dealership called and told me that the brakes were fine but that the problem could be resolved by changing the sparkplugs. I orally authorized an estimate of about $150 (I don?T remember the exact amount.). the service rep called me later that day (1/5) and explained that my problem wasn't?T really the sparkplugs but that the car's transmission needed to be replaced. The estimate for the parts and labor for this repair would be approximately $2,000. The service rep informed me on 1/6/2008 that a mistake was made and cost of the new transmission alone would be $5,000, with other parts, labor, and the cost of a rental car, the final estimate for repair was around $7,000.

- Loomis, CA, USA

Aug 312007

Prius 4-cyl

2003 Toyota Prius engine stalled three times. Dealer repaired and problem recurred again the same day.. updated 01/09/08. The dealer found oil inside the manifold. Updated

- Las Vegas, NV, USA

Sep 212006

Prius

: the contact stated while traveling various speeds, the vehicle intermittently stalled and lost power. The warning lights illuminated occasionally. The vehicle was taken to the dealership numerous times, but the problem persisted. The dealership replaced the hybrid engine computer, the mass air flow meter, fuel tank, and hybrid battery.

- Strasburg, VA, USA