2004 Toyota Prius steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Toyota Prius:

2004 Toyota Prius Owner Comments

Aug 012014

Prius 4-cyl

My daughter borrowed my Prius for a drive from layton, Utah to seattle. Within an hour of leaving my home in layton, Utah she called concerned about a vibration in the front end of my Prius as she approached 80mph. When she returned to Utah, I had the tires checked, rebalanced, and the front end realigned. Soon after that, my husband and I left for the Tahoe area. We experienced a vibration whenever we eased the steering from either a left or right pressure to neutral. Then at low speed going over a rough road with potholes, it sounded as if the steering column was going to fall apart. I have a recording of the rattling noise it made. I returned to the dealership I purchased my Prius from. They found that the intermediate shaft was loose and recommended replacing it. Parts #45260,45209, and 45221 were replaced. The vibration and rattling noise have been eliminated. The cost to me was $1003.84. According to my VIN number, there has been no recall for the parts used to assemble my Prius. I urge you to look further into the quality of the parts used to assemble the steering mechanism in my Prius.

- Layton, UT, USA

Aug 142014

Lost power steering control

- Antioch, CA, USA

Aug 062011

During normal service at dealer service advisor indicated that steering yoke sub assemble and shaft assembly needed to be replaced because of binding. Dealer indicated that they had done the steering recall " NHTSA campaign number: 06V188000 " in 2006 on this car. Is the current issue (which we had repaired at a cost of almost $1000) associated/or as a result of the prior recall?

- Laguna Beach, CA, USA

Sep 062006

Consumer complaint concerning 2004 Prius transmission. The consumer had problems starting in low gear on a hill. The consumer received a notice regarding the intermediate shaft, however when he arrived at the dealership, he was told there were no parts available. The dealer eventually replaced the steering shaft.

- San Juan, PR, USA