2005 Toyota Prius brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Toyota Prius:

2005 Toyota Prius Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

Jul 102013

Prius 4-cyl

Brakes did not apply instantly when coming to a stop light. We almost hit the car in front of us. Thankfully we applied the brakes early, but it seemed like the brakes were not being applied and that the wheels just kept on moving. I had to pump the brake again to make sure it would apply more pressure. We came within a few inches of rear ending the car in front of us. And this has happened about 10 times now. This should be a recall before a major accident or death, heaven forbid, occurs.

- Ewa Beach, HI, USA

Jul 082013

Prius 4-cyl

The braking system for my 2005 Prius has been malfunctioning since I bought the car in the summer of 2012. While trying to slow down on a rough road surface the brakes refused to brake for 1 or 2 seconds, causing a higher-than-anticipated speed when going around a turn. This problem increases the distance the vehicle needs to stop and I consider this a high safety concern and a major product defect. No accidents or injuries have been sustained from the problem on this vehicle so far.

- Sterling Heights, MI, USA

Sep 182011

Prius 4-cyl

Headlights go out while driving. Driver headlight went out while driving 55mph. Pulled over & noted driver headlight out. Turned car off & then restarted & both headlights went on. Drove a couple miles & noted headlight out & this time it was the passenger headlight that was out. This has happened a few times in the year @ 1/2. we also had a problem in the past with the headlights being aimed too low in front of the car causing trouble seeing. It turned out to be the auto aiming computer was malfunctioning & it was replaced by warranty. We also had to have the skid control brake computer ($2500.) replaced 12/06/2012 due to brake malfunctioning (brakes would hardly stop the car).

- Fort Gratiot, MI, USA

May 232013

Prius 4-cyl

I was driving with my three children coming from school and slowing down us 301 towards traffic light when T tried to apply the brakes, the car did not stop. I had to reapply the brakes and the pedal went down very deep before the car jerked and slowly stopped. Thank god there was no car in front, otherwise would have been a collision. Went to the Toyota car dealer and they said that the failure code was dtc C1247 and told us to replace the skid control unit. Basically, the ECU of the brakes malfunctioned and the car did not have brakes on it. Please do a recall before anyone gets hurt on this.

- Riverview, FL, USA

Apr 022013

Prius 4-cyl

I was pressing the brake, but instead of stopping my Prius accelerated, and jerked under the stopped vehicle in front of me.the brakes acted like accelerated pedal. Prius occasionally had the accelerating jerks without pedal input, but after fixing all the recalls, I thought the car is fine. But this time, it was not a jerk, it was a full leap, that destroyed the whole front of the car. It was towed from the accident and it is beyond the repair. I had it only for 9 months.

- Stamford, CT, USA

Feb 152012

Prius

The contact owns a 2005 Toyota Prius. The contact stated that while driving approximately 35 mph, a grinding noise was heard from the rear end of the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnostic testing where the technicians advised that the failure was undetected. The technician also stated that there were other vehicles with the same failure and the manufacturer was working on a remedy. The contact mentioned that the vehicle was taken to the dealer on numerous occasions for the failure. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure and stated that the vehicle was not included in any recalls. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 200 and the current mileage was 2,122.

- Richfield, WA, USA

Jan 282005

Prius 4-cyl

This complaint related to the brake system. Ever since the car was taken of the dealer ship, the brakes act in a sudden, jerky manner approaching a stop. The brakes function normally at normal speeds, but as I approach a stop, it feels like (for comparison purposes)as if you where pulling the emergency brake on a normal car while the car is moving slow. Along with this, when I press the brake pedal hard a noise is generated from the engine compartment. The above description has been exhibited ever since I bought the car brand new at triangle dealer at kennedy ave (carr#2) in san juan, puerto rico. I took the car to the dealership approximately on Jan 28, 2005 (I bought it October 16, 2004) to have the breaks checked and the service employee told me that because it was a hybrid car, that was normal behavior. For the time being the car always exhibited the brake strange behaviors and recently a brake light lit on for the ABS and brake warning light. My car is now 130,000miles and over 8 years. I took it to the dealership and they indicated that the brake actuator assembly was damaged and needed to be replaced at a cost of $2500. Im sure this is a design issue that Toyota has not claimed responsibility for. Im sure that due to the expense of it. I just want my experience to be accounted for. Thanks!

- Miami Lakes, FL, USA

Nov 212012

Prius 4-cyl

While cruising at 35 mph, experienced sudden onset of high pitch noise along with the red warning light and ABS light being illuminated on console. When attempting to brake, noticed that the brake pedal felt very stiff and not depress. Fortunately, there were no cars in front, and was able to gradually stop the vehicle by pressing on the brake as hard as possible. The braking distance felt a lot further than usual. After coming to a stop and waiting a few minutes, stopped and restarted the engine. The high pitch noise stopped once the engine turned off. Once the engine was back on, the brake pedal felt normal again, and while the ABS light was no longer illuminated, the red warning light remained on. Took the car immediately to the Toyota dealer where my car is normally serviced, and they indicated there was a fault code C1300 and recommended replacing the skid control ECU (part# 89540-47130). Looks like there is at least one other incident reported on this (ODI id# 10320472). This seems to be a major safety hazard due to potential loss of braking power if this component goes out. Request investigation and safety recall as appropriate.

- Los Alamitos, CA, USA

Jun 282012

Prius

I am the first owner of this 2005 Prius and have kept up with all maintenance and recall issues. This is my first complaint. On a perfectly fine weather day, I was driving my usual route home coming to a line of stopped cars in the left turn lane on a relatively flat, unbumpy surface street and was about 1 car length from the stopped car in front of me when I applied my brake. To my astonishment, with the brake fully engaged, my car kept going forward as if I had no brakes and rear ended the car ahead of me. Luckily neither of us were hurt as I had already slowed down for the stop. There was no damage to my car (my license plate holder hit her bumper and caused a couple of paint chips on hers, which will probably cost me thousands of dollars to repair) but I can tell you I was thoroughly shaken up. No emergency lights or code lights went on inside the car. From reading other complaints on this site, I see this is not a new problem. I will be reporting this to my Toyota dealer and to Toyota.

- Oakland, CA, USA