2005 Toyota Prius drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Toyota Prius:

2005 Toyota Prius Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

Mar 182008

I have been driving my 2005 Prius for 5 years and have experienced the following nearly 20 times, when braking, if a pothole or bump in the road is hit, the car seemingly jerks forward/accelerates for a split second. And the vsc light on the dash will go on for a short time.

- Oswego, IL, USA

Dec 202008

The contact owns a 2005 Toyota Prius. The contact stated that the gear shifter would lock up, which prevented the vehicle from moving or changing gears. The failure occurred once in a tunnel while in traffic. The road crew had to move the vehicle to the side of the road. It took twenty minutes to re-engage the gear so that the vehicle could move again. Usually, it would take twenty to forty minutes before it re-engaged itself and for the gear to return to normal. The contact has called and sent letters to the dealer and manufacturer, but no one will speak with him. He has not taken his vehicle to the dealer for inspection. The failure mileage was 18,700.

- Eugene, OR, USA

Jul 222005

Prius 4-cyl

Purchased 2005 Toyota Prius - VIN # jtd KB2 OU1 530 793 29 on July 20, 2005 -registered it to my wife krista gottlieb. On July 22, 2005 when this car had about 80 miles on it, I was driving it on the highway in traffic at about 50 mph - when suddenly I lost complete power. By that, I mean that the accelerator pedal was completely unresponsive. I am not aware of what the instruments indicated as I was preoccupied with the traffic (for more details - I sent a very detailed E-mail about the failure to our dealer culligan Toyota, amherst, NY on July 24, 2005 - I have also sent additional follow-up E-mails to culligan since that date. ). as a result of the July 24 message, I arranged to leave the car with culligan Toyota service advisor stephen desotell on Wednesday, July 27, 2005 to be checked out. At about 3:00 P.M. on July 27 stephen called me to tell me that they had checked out the car and could find nothing wrong with it in any way ┐┐ mechanical or computer or anything. He said that it had the latest software and that there were no outstanding service bulletins of recalls for the car and that in his discussion with Toyota, it was suggested to him that I must have inadvertently hit the ┐┐power┐Ł button on the dashboard - or words to that effect. Subsequently I tested the car and found that I could not turn off our Prius by deliberately pushing or holding the power button in. By call to the above service advisor since then, he later confirmed that this was correct - that it was not possible to accidentally or deliberately shut any Prius down by hitting the power button while the car was in motion under power. We have had no repeat of this event. However, the failure happened to us in heavy traffic when I was in the passing lane with traffic on my right and oncoming traffic on my left and a high-speed car approaching me from the rear - and I had nowhere to steer to! it was very frightening and we could have been hit from behind.

- Orchard Park, NY, USA

May 152005

I was traveling at approximately 75 mph on hwy 41 in fresno, ca when my 2005 Prius had it's incident. All the dash warning lights illuminated, and I saw that I was only runningl on my electric motor. Lluckily I was in the right hand lane getting ready to merge onto another freeway, so I put my hazard warning lights on, and almost got rear ended because I reduced my speed and the Honda behind me was impatient and riding my bumber. I pulled off the freeway, called aaa, and before they got out, I tried to start the vehicle after about 15 minutes because where it finally died was a bad spot- and the engine kicked right on! I didn't know what happened! the following Monday I called my local Toyota dealership (michael Toyota) and they checked for any recalls and said there is nothing wrong with my car "don't worry about it". then I have been hearing about these other cases coming lately and it sounds like I have a bigger problem. I returned to my Toyota dealer and they said that the 4 hours they had left in the day wasn't enough time, so I need to take a day off of work so that I can drive the hour it takes to get there and wait for my vehicle.

- Tollhouse, CA, USA