2005 Toyota Prius drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Toyota Prius:

2005 Toyota Prius Owner Comments

Dec 102009

While driving in a snowstorm in my 2005 Prius, I stopped at a red light on a busy street, the roads starting to become slippery with snow. As the light changed to green, I stepped on the gas, and the"slippery" light came on my dashboard. When this happens, the front wheels will not spin at all. I could not move the car at all, since the computer determined I was on a "slippery" spot. I saw cars and trucks barreling toward me in my rear view mirror, unable to move, and visibility greatly reduced, due to the falling snow. I put my blinkers on, and thankfully on coming traffic was able to avoid me. I was stuck at this intersection for four light changes, slightly panicked. I finally put the car into reverse, and got just enough movement out of the car to find a dry patch and get me moving again. When I reported this to both Toyota, and my local dealer, they told me this is a "safety" feature. It's a safety feature that will surely get someone killed. The front wheels simply will not spin in the least if the car determines it is slippery, which left me no where to go at that intersection. I later googled the problem, and found that this is a very common problem with Prius owners. A few people left the comment that snow tires are necessary to avoid this problem. Not knowing what else to do, I went out and bought 4 new snowtires. It did make a huge difference, but I'm afraid that for someone else, they may find out too late. This safety feature is an unacceptable death trap waiting to happen.

- Buffalo, NY, USA